Could this be a real Kamaka?

Mr Bill

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I was thinking about making this uke my first
but the neck joins at the 13th fret, strange I thought.
Also headstock like this I've only seen on the concert model
and seller reports this to be a tenor.

Just don't know enough, anyone's thoughts.

Cheers
2010-07-13184120-1.jpg

It looks like one, maybe a custom; send a pic to Kamaka.

The Gumby head stock is for Concerts. I do not believe it has been used on other sizes. Seller may not know much about the sizes.

Also it looks like it has bridge pins. I am not sure I have seen a Kamaka with Bridge pins (doesn't mean much I haven't seen very many) But it is a first for me.

It does have the Kamaka white label and the decal on the head stock and it looks like koa.

Kamaka should know if it is one of theres.

:anyone:

Just curious to see the outcome, on stand by.

G

Hi Everybody,

I was thinking about making this uke my first
but the neck joins at the 13th fret, strange I thought.
Also headstock like this I've only seen on the concert model
and seller reports this to be a tenor.

Just don't know enough, anyone's thoughts.

Cheers
2010-07-13184120-1.jpg

Aloha Mr Bill,
I have a gold label tenor Kamaka with the sail head too, their all custom made. so does my friend
he has one too. I 've seen another on E-bay once... their very rare because they were only made custom made order from Kamaka. No shelf models were made. You have the one alot of people
are searching for. I paid $750.00 for mine, Of course they could go up in price due to condition and
sound quality...I've only seen them in the concert and tenor sizes and yes they're made of koa..
Yours seem to look like mine and others that I've seen, however yours seems to have
a narrower upper bout. If you're not intrested, I sure am...

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

Nope not a $20 uke more like $500
It's a gold label photo is decieving.
Condition is about a 9 out of 10, no damage, no cracks, just a bit of play wear.
The 13th fret and bridge are what bug me, seller only knows Kamaka=money.
Stan If I don't pull the trigger on this I'll pass on the info.
Lot of jing for a first uke.

Cheers.

A few others sorta like this have popped up from time to time:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...g-This-Mysterious-Vintage-Kamaka&daysprune=-1 (wish the OP got back to us on this!)

And Ukulele Friend had one: http://web.me.com/syacavone/Site/Kamaka_Ukulele_(カマカ・ウクレレ・37).html

But even then, the one you posted only has 13 frets to the body, with no double dots on the 12th fret, and the fretboard goes all the way down to the soundhole. Bizarre. :O But based on Kamaka's tendency to tweak their body/bridge/headstock shapes frequently, I'm guessing it's a strange (but real) Kamaka.

Yes, it's real. I own one of this gold-labeled tenor. I took mine to Kamaka factory and they confirmed it's theirs. Mine looks like what you see on the picture with the bridge pin and slant headstock. Made in the 50's. Hope this helps.

This looks like it's made of monkeypod, not koa. I have a monkeypod soprano and the wood likes the same. Koa is worth more, but I'm not sure of the sonic difference.

Looks like a nice tenor, one of the bridge pins looks crooked or just isn't in all the way. I would sure grab it. Looks like a one piece top too, what a gold label should have. My white label concert is book matched.

Hi Folks,

Nope not a $20 uke more like $500
It's a gold label photo is decieving.
Condition is about a 9 out of 10, no damage, no cracks, just a bit of play wear.
The 13th fret and bridge are what bug me, seller only knows Kamaka=money.
Stan If I don't pull the trigger on this I'll pass on the info.
Lot of jing for a first uke.

Cheers.
just checked mine bill, my gold label has 14 frets...
my suggestion, start off with the best you can afford..
it will make playing easier to learn, comfortable and fun...
Good luck whatever you choose. MM Stan..
If you choose otherwise, send me a PM...

Mr Bill, this is absolutely a genuine Kamaka. It is the "Gold Label" Gumby Head (Chris Kamaka prefers to refer to it as the "Sail Head") tenor made ca. 1960. I own one and it is the best sounding, nicest playing Kamaka tenor I have owned, on my short list of absolute keepers. Here's some photos of mine:

http://www.ukuzoo.com/ViewCollections.aspx?cid=4&iid=12

Mr Bill, this is absolutely a genuine Kamaka. It is the "Gold Label" Gumby Head (Chris Kamaka prefers to refer to it as the "Sail Head") tenor made ca. 1960. I own one and it is the best sounding, nicest playing Kamaka tenor I have owned, on my short list of absolute keepers. Here's some photos of mine:

http://www.ukuzoo.com/ViewCollections.aspx?cid=4&iid=12
Aloha Toebone,
Yours seems to have the shorter headstock and flater angle above the nut, also your back is
connected to your heel as one piece for stability... I think yours could be an earlier model....

Top Bottom