MP Sitka spruce top-koa vs MP Negra tenor

fumanshu

Reaction score
Hi guys! I know a few of you are questionning and hesitate on what woods combination you should get if you want a MP ukulele. So I've had a few minutes yesterday to do some clips so you can hear the differences between how wood can change a sound of Mike's ukes.

And since I'm a dummy in video editing, I don't know how to merge the clips to do 1 clip, so I simply did 2 clips and played the same song on both.

So the first clip is from my MP Sitka spruce top with koa back and sides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAngIVxQueY

The second one is from my MP Engelmann spruce top with Madagascar Rosewood back and sides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BotxIxOISQE

Both sounds are coming out straight from my recorder. There's no post production in the sound.

Thanks for watching and comments are welcome!

Thanks for providing these videos, they're very helpful!

seeso wrote:
Thanks for providing these videos, they're very helpful!

Hey you're welcome seeso! If these videos can help people to know what they prefer before they consider to order an uke from MP, it's all good for me. I know how hard it is to place an order without knowing mch how it could sound...so now, at least people can get an idea!!

I forgot to mention also, the camera and microphones are placed at the same place for both videos. I've tried to to use exavtly same set up to get a fair comparaison.

Thanks

I agree, Fu. Had I known that I would be enjoying my Concert so much, I would have ordered Myrtle Back and Sides as opposed to Koa back and sides.

You are doing everyone on here who is looking at Mike's work and wondering "yes or no" a great service.

Fumanshu, thanks so much for doing this. What would be great would be to get a whole subforum for different ukuleles, where people could upload videos of various things. How handy would that be for the rest of us would be purchasers of nice ukuleles?

Nice playing, BTW!

Thanks Fu! I love the sound of your Negra but I think I made the right decision with the spruce/koa! This video helps put my doubts to rest!

Wow...both great sounding ukes...I think the first sounded more mellow, and the second was more full sounding ( at least to my ear) lovely tone on both though!
Went back and ran them side by side...I really like the sound of them...but the Engleman and rosewood is my favorite. Maybe I'll change my mind when they have "opened up" a bit...this is really bad for my UAS!

Last edited:
jehicks wrote:
You are doing everyone on here who is looking at Mike's work and wondering "yes or no" a great service.

Hey jake! I think it's so hard to spend a certain amount of money on a custom that if people can get at least a little something where they can see or hear, it will make them know if yes or not htey want ukes fom that builder. When I started to play, there was no sound sample or much writing on MP ukes, I only go with what I was seeing on his website and trusting myself.

I now only play with his ukes even if I like my Koaloha, Kanile'a, G-String, ect...But none of them have the tone that I can get with my MP...and I think the way Mike's build his neck make his ukes very easy to play too.

You won't regret you custom that you order from him!

pulelehua wrote:
Fumanshu, thanks so much for doing this. What would be great would be to get a whole subforum for different ukuleles, where people could upload videos of various things. How handy would that be for the rest of us would be purchasers of nice ukuleles?

Nice playing, BTW!

Hi pulelehua! Thanks for your kind words. I think there's plenty of videos of people reviewing their ukes but there's a lot of builder that no one show hor their ukes sound like.... specially in the custom world. And I think it's there that we need to see more review or videoclip of them because they are expensive ukes so I think it's nice to know a little bit better the product before we make a decision to order one!

Nuprin wrote:
Thanks Fu! I love the sound of your Negra but I think I made the right decision with the spruce/koa! This video helps put my doubts to rest!

Hi Nu! I knew that the clip will put help you to put your doubts to rest!!! ahahaha!!!! Even for me, it's really hard to decide which one is my favorite one between the 2 since they both sound great to my ears...but it's no big deal since I own both!!!! UAS big time!!!!!! hahahahaah!!!! :)

Ukeffect wrote
: Wow...both great sounding ukes...I think the first sounded more mellow, and the second was more full sounding ( at least to my ear) lovely tone on both though!
Went back and ran them side by side...I really like the sound of them...but the Engleman and rosewood is my favorite. Maybe I'll change my mind when they have "opened up" a bit...this is really bad for my UAS!

Hi ukeffect! I agree with you that the first one sound more mellow. Spruce top ukes tend to need lots of playing time to find it true sound and the spruce get mellower with time. And since I owned the first uke for now almost 2 years, for sure the spruce had time to get his true tone and it's more mellow than the second one.

I only own the second a few months ago so I know that with time, the Engelmann with get more mellow and I'll get something like the first one.

But like you said, I do find that the second one has a fuller sound. It has that kind of natural reverb in the sound. I like that a lot and I can't find on the other uke!!!! I think the Madagascar Rosewood create that kind of sound.

Also, you will observe that I have more sustain with the second uke also......notes last forever on this uke!!!!

I agree, Fu. Had I known that I would be enjoying my Concert so much, I would have ordered Myrtle Back and Sides as opposed to Koa back and sides.

I would love to hear your uke also!

Of the two videos, both sound really good to my ears.

I really appreciate the effort put into them

thanks!

iDavid,

I ordered a Blue Microphones Yeti the other day specifically for my uke-videos. If that don't tell you how much I love this guys work, I don't know what will. Rest assured, you'll all get to check out the sounds as soon as I get the equipment in.

Fu,
Oh, I know I wont regret this custom! Haha! I do think I would have rathered Myrtle to Koa, looking back on it now, but I don't believe I will be "kicking myself" for the configuration I've chosen. Plus, it leaves me something to order on my NEXT deployment! ... if I can last that long ... :D

Top Bottom