new here and looking for information

Reaction score
Hi -

I was given a beautiful heirloom Gibson 2 ukulele from an uncle. My son enjoys playing it and would like to play more - my only reservation is a young boy playing on this expensive instrument.

Do you have any inexpensive suggestions for a beginner uke?

Thanks!
skillet

Makala, they come in either traditional wood or the Dolphin's which come in different colors. They are nice playing instruments and IMO the best uke's in their price range. You can see pictures on Kala's website or look up musicguymic's store on eBay.

thanks! I see people talking about 'soprano' or 'baritone' - does it matter for a beginner?

Fluke or flea... a bit more expensive than the Makala, but they are tough little things and very cool looking!

What's your price range? How old is your son?

Hi there -

My son is nearing 10 and very tall for his age. My price range is $200 or less. I'd like something I don't have to worry about as I do when he's playing with the Gibson - he is 9 and accidents do happen.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. I walked into a ukulele store yesterday and was totally overwhelmed - I didn't even know the questions to ask!

I've heard it said that confusion is the beginning of wisdom; here I am - hoping to be wise.

Many thanks,
Skillet

Last edited:
Hi there -

My son is nearing 10 and very tall for his age. My price range is $200 or less. I'd like something I don't have to worry about as I do when he's playing with the Gibson - he is 9 and accidents do happen.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. I walked into a ukulele store yesterday and was totally overwhelmed - I didn't even know the questions to ask!

I've heard it said that confusion is the beginning of wisdom; here I am - hoping to be wise.

Many thanks,
Skillet

In that price range, I would buy a tenor Fluke and not look back, especially if it's durability you're after. The solid color ones retail on Jim's site for $199. The back and fretboard (should you not upgrade to a rosewood fretboard) is plastic. It will hold up to a 9 year old's normal abuse. If you buy straight from Jim you have a 3 yr. warranty.

They are great ukes. The intonation is always spot on, and their tone is round, loud and bright. All I would do is switch the strings to Aquilla.

I teach an 11 nephew from time to time, and the tenor size was perfect for him.

I ALMOST agree with seeso but recommend the concert neck FLEA with standard plastic fretboard for all the reasons he states but me I prefer the pineappley (new word) shape of the FLEA. I own both FLEA & FLUKE so can't go wrong with either. The thought of a classic Gibson 'ukulele in the hands of a 9 year old really scares me, no offense. ;)

I recommend considering the "peghead" tuner option if you do go with a Fluke or Flea.
Or stick to ukes with geared tuners, if not Fluke or Flea.
It will make tuning a lot easier.

I think with friction tuners, there is a risk of being put off by the instrument if it is not easy to tune.
This was the case for me when I had a uke with friction tuners (and they were good quality ones by Grover.. still didn't like them).

Researching now.....thanks so much for your input! I really appreciate your willingness to help!

How about talking to Mim? She is one of us and just started carrying the Kala line and seems to know a lot about low end ukes and beginners needs. Her site is: http://www.mimsukes.com/ Give her a try!! Lozark

If you are looking at spending $200, go with the flea. Comes in a lot of cool colors and designs plus the flea can take a good amount of abuse and still sound great!!!

Top Bottom