TRU Bracing on new Kanileas

pulelehua

Reaction score
Has anyone heard, or heard anything about, these new ukes? This could either be my Shangri-La, or yet another decision to be made against all the others:

Mya Moe
MP
KoAloha

It was easy when it was, Kala or Mainland?

I haven't much liked the Kanileas I've heard in the past, but this sounds like it might really open them up.

Arg.

Outside wisdom appreciated.

The TRU bracing seems, in my humble opinion, like a neat idea, but not really necessary. The most advanced bracing I have seen is breedlove's style bracing, used on breedlove brand guitars. Boat Paddle Ukes adapted that bracing-type and use it on their ukuleles.

The old moniker, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" certainly doesn't always apply to musical instruments. But, in this case, I don't really see the point. Maybe someone with more experience could help point you in a more determined direction. I know the KoAloha guys post here, and I *think* the Kanelea guys do, too. Perhaps one of them could pop up and give you more insight.

Just to stir the pot a bit more, the whole idea behind the TRU (Total Resonating Uke) bracing was to allow more resonance and vibrations to traverse the entire body of the uke. I have read several reviews, and have noticed on my own MP, that even with traditional bracing you can make a uke that vibrates WITH the strings in a way that you can actually feel pressed against you as you play. With proper traditional construction, TRU bracing may not be necessary. It's like a "hemi"... a ford boss motor has the same hemispherical combustion chamber in it, allowing for more efficient fuel burn and thus power, but chrysler/dodge trademarked the term HEMI. So, most gearheads swear a HEMI will outrun anything on the road... even another "hemi-" motor.

Hope I helped more than muddy the water! Whichever of those brands you choose, I think you'll be pleased. why don't you contact the luthiers/companies you're interested in? They are generally very willing to help, in my experience.

There are many factors that make a ukulele sound great. Individual instruments with the same construction will sound different from one another. My best sounding uke, and my favorite is my Kanile'a super concert. But, I got to choose in person, and the one I got sounded much better than the other Kanile'a tenors and concerts I was choosing from. I had to pay full MSRP price, but it was worth it.
–Lori

I went to a uke shop in Santa Cruz and tried the "tru-braced" Kanilea'as,(both K-1s and K-2s) along with their Kamakas, Koalohas, and Lanikai's (made the "old" way by Kanilea'a).

To my ear, I didn't perceive any quality that surpassed the others. I wanted all of them.

If it's been around for a year and a half, then I've heard it. Or at least think I have. Another uke back of the list, thank goodness. Thanks, everyone.

Jehicks87, good advice. Next time I get a ukulele, I'm definitely going with the Ford.

All of the ukes you mentioned can sound great, one being better than the others is highly subjective.

I own three of the brands you mentioned and I like them all

I went to a uke shop in Santa Cruz and tried the "tru-braced" Kanilea'as,(both K-1s and K-2s) along with their Kamakas, Koalohas, and Lanikai's (made the "old" way by Kanilea'a).

To my ear, I didn't perceive any quality that surpassed the others. I wanted all of them.

Which shop in Santa Cruz has Koalohas and all these other ukes??
Cheers,
Skottoman

If it's been around for a year and a half, then I've heard it. Or at least think I have. Another uke back of the list, thank goodness. Thanks, everyone.

Jehicks87, good advice. Next time I get a ukulele, I'm definitely going with the Ford.

Ford makes good cars ;)

Actually Ford was the only US auto maker that didn't take any Government bailout money.

They've been doing well and making money without it.

John

I have a Kanilea concert uke with the TRU bracing system and it sounds great. When I first got it I was a bit disappointed in how quiet it was. The tone was amazing but it was way quieter than my Koaloha soprano. Now I've had it for a few months and it's opened up very nicely. It's louder than the Koaloha now, but it still has the same amazing tone.

I have a Kanilea concert uke with the TRU bracing system and it sounds great. When I first got it I was a bit disappointed in how quiet it was. The tone was amazing but it was way quieter than my Koaloha soprano. Now I've had it for a few months and it's opened up very nicely. It's louder than the Koaloha now, but it still has the same amazing tone.

See that's weird, the old bracing in my hands is quieter and just a bit better on soft strumming and picking when amplified. The new TRU bracing is good at all volumes but you can strum the ever loving S*@# out of it and it does not fall apart which is a huge plus. The early bracing you just cannot do that.

In defense I have only play 10-11 of the TRU's verse a ton of the older stuff. I will say that I thought enough of the TRU to have both the customs made that way instead of the older bracing which I could have requested.

Do they? Must have made a big change recently, then... last time I recall reading about Ford they were taking huge amounts of money from the government to bandage over serious mismanagement. Did they ever pay that back?

I would double-check that source, if I were you. Ford was the only one who didnt. I think by "Ford" you meant "Chrysler and GMC."

I love old-school chevys, but new-school USA has gotta go to ford.

AAAAAnyways, back to the point... ahem... i don't have much more to add than I have already added.

Which shop in Santa Cruz has Koalohas and all these other ukes??
Cheers,
Skottoman

Sylvan Music at the intersection of Mission and Bay Streets.

I might be wrong about Sylvan having Koalohas. I know the Ukulele Source has Koalohas, though.

BTW, have you ever attended the Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz meetings? Held every third Thursday at 7 p.m. way in the back at Bocci's Cellar Restaurant. It is not unusual to have 100 -200 people there so you have to get there early, like at 5. The food is pretty good, too. They also gather at 10 a.m. on Sundays at the downtown bandstand.

I'm exploring the work involved in starting a uke club for San Jose. Interested in helping me?

Gillian

Last edited:
Top Bottom