String Theory

saladfork

Reaction score
I have a new Luna Tenor in Mahogany. It of course came with crud for strings, I have looked around in the net and have been told to go with "Worth" for Mahogany Uke, and others tell me "Aquila". I have seen comparisons of both in play and think Aquila sounded better, has anyone any input about this before I go to the store? I would greatly appreciate it. I guess it realy is all about which I like better. The strings that came with it sound so bad and hold a tuning for about 3/4 of a second :)

Any strings you get are going to go out of tune very quickly for the first week or two because they are still stretching out. New strings always do that, so buying new strings won't solve that problem.
But to answer your question, I have a set of Aquilas on my uke right now, and love them. The tone and volume they produce is just amazing, and I would recommend them to anyone who asks. On the other hand I have heard great things about Worth strings, especially on Mahogany, so realistically you probably couldn't go wrong with either brand. If you prefer the sound of the Aquilas, then get a set of those. You will have to keep tuning the strings constantly regardless of the brand for probably the first two weeks, while they stretch out. But after that period is over, you will be very happy with either the Worth or Aquilas you buy.

Thank you bryanperk, I am going with the Aquilas as I thought they sounded better, just wanted some reasurance is all. I was aware of the stretching out period, but didn't mention that. I was told that cheep strings like the ones mine are never get much better and sound bad, and they do sound Bad!. So I'm off to the store for a new set. Thanks again!

You should try the sampler packs from MGM . . . gives you a chance to try different strings. Just a thought . . . from my experience, Aquila strings will give you more volume and Worth has more playability.

Aloha Saladfork,
I feel that way about aquilla's and mahogany too. I guess what it boils down to is personal preference, what
type of sound you're looking for or what appeals to you. Kanaka 916 has some good advice, buying the string pack form MGM.
It lets you try out different types of strings so you get the feel which ones works well for you. Whether you're looking
for a richer sound or brighter sound and playability and comfort are factors too. Make sure you let them "break in" as
bryan said, so get a real feel for every brand or type. (anythings usually better than the original strings, but some are all right too)
BTW-Welcome to the UU, and our forums....and congrats on your new purchase of your tenor Luna..
A bit of advice, Get yourself a digital clip on chromatic tuner, it will make tuning alot easier...Have fun!!! MM Stan...

Top Bottom