Need your opinion: What do you think about these DIY Uke hangers?

UKISOCIETY

Reaction score
I had to move my ukes to a temporary location as we get our new daughter's room ready. I took materials I already had: rope, plastic pull-ties and 2 1x6's. I cut the rope into 12 inch lengths and tied them into a loop:

4797422415_7be945406e.jpg

Drilled two holes and ran the plastic pull ties through to hold the knot of the rope. The rope then hangs to stick the headstocks in.

4798052528_8233ca0384_b.jpg

From the back:

4798052412_2cf1de4761_b.jpg

What they all look like when done:

4797422659_8262931f88_b.jpg

I got the idea from a local guitar store. I think the ukes are more secure in these ropes compared to the U hooks. Total cost: $0 because I re-purposed old materials. What do you think?

How easy/difficult is it to put the ukuleles in the hangers and take them out?
This would be my first question.

My second question is what's going on that you'd need all that rope and those plastic pull ties?

Not hard. Mine is not as hi-tech as these but I hang my ukes from bits of knotted ribbon from handy spots around the house. You can't
quick-draw your uke - but do you have to?
I'd prefer to keep mine in cases too - it's just that there's no room! I'd be digging away under my bed every time i wanted one out.

I'd prefer to keep mine in cases too - it's just that there's no room! I'd be digging away under my bed every time i wanted one out.
The space under our bed is full of guitars and mandolins. I keep my two ukes in my computer room so they're handy. :)

Aloha Alan,
Good idea, this way no one uke gets neglected because of inconvience of pulling it out of the back...
Are those your favorite daily players??HMMM.thanks for sharing!! MM Stan...

Very cool Alan. Mine are hung all around the house. That way they all get played everyday. If I put them in their cases they whine to get out. So Cal temps at the beach are nice and mild with plenty of humidity, I never worry about that.

I think you need to apply for a patent on that design before someone starts making cheap Chinese knockoffs. ;)

I think you need to apply for a patent on that design before someone starts making cheap Chinese knockoffs. ;)

What's amazing about the Chinese with this design: they were able to rip off Allan without even writing anything down.

I'm working on a design for a hanger for Lori's "uke leash": I may call it "the leash knob."

Last edited:
Looks like it worked out great - unless of course you are opposed to uke lynchings lol.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who immediately saw nooses.

Genuinely innovative solution. Do you feel that the peg tuner ukes are as secure as the geared tuner ones in this set-up?

I think you may have over-engineered those babies. A simple loop of twine looped around two tuning pegs then hung from a nail is the way to go.

I'm a fan of keeping instruments in cases. Ambient light, humidity issues, dust... I just wouldn't hang my instruments on the wall.

I prefer cases too, but I can't afford to buy 30+ cases to hold all my ukes. Most of these are plastic ukes or my beater ukes that I play daily.

Not very quick. You have to use two hands. I don't mind though because they're more secure than the U hooks.

My second question is what's going on that you'd need all that rope and those plastic pull ties?

Every man should own a good supply of zip ties, duct tape and a good length of rope. Because ya never know! ;)

Aloha Alan,
Good idea, this way no one uke gets neglected because of inconvience of pulling it out of the back...
Are those your favorite daily players??HMMM.thanks for sharing!! MM Stan...

Some are my daily players. The others I just don't have cases for.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who immediately saw nooses.

Genuinely innovative solution. Do you feel that the peg tuner ukes are as secure as the geared tuner ones in this set-up?

Yes, but I have to slip the rope between the peg tuners on the back.

I think you may have over-engineered those babies. A simple loop of twine looped around two tuning pegs then hung from a nail is the way to go.

I though of that, but didn't want any metal near my babies.The rope is a bit soft and might slip off nails that are driven through it.

Thanks for your opinions! When we finally finish the basement I'll use a similar technique.

What's amazing about the Chinese with this design: they were able to rip off Allan without even writing anything down.

I'm working on a design for a hanger for Lori's "uke leash": I may call it "the leash knob."
That would be great! If you make them, I will add a link to my website for it.
–Lori

Nice job! Personally, I don't use hangers. I just have Chuck Norris look at my ukes, and they stay exactly where he wants them to be.

Top Bottom