Friction tuners for a Kumlae

P-co

Reaction score
I have just got delivery of a 1915-1920 era Kumalae and am stoked with it. Relatively good condition, all staight and in order, only a couple of modest cracks.
Replaced the strings with some aquila's to improve the sound to my untrained ear.
The question I would like to ask is about the friction tuners. Does any one have a picture of what original ones look like? The ones on mine don't look original but I could be wrong.
I haven't got a camera with me now but will try to post a pic of these ones tomorrow.
Is anyone making reproduction ones? All the super talented luthiers on UU could proberly make a set in their sleep.
Thanks,
Ross

Your's should have wood pegs if it's original. Many people replaced the wood friction pegs with metal and plastic friction pegs at a later date. I bought violin pegs to replace the broken original wood pegs but after a while I gave in and installed newer friction pegs since this 'ukulele was a player not a museum piece at least to me. I have since sold it to pay bills. :(

Thanks for the reply. It has wooden pegs, they are a white wood (a pine colour) about 2" long, got a violin feel to them but not sure. Will post a pic soon.

Do these look like the genuine article?
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I think the original wood pegs for Kumalae ukes were made of ohai wood, which is darker than those. They appear to be maple, which will work OK. If you can afford it, I recommend PegHeds. I used them on one of my Kumalae look alike ukes and loved them, they are very light and work much better than regular wood pegs.

Brad

I sold my Kumalae but still have 3 of the pegs the forth being broken when purchased. These pegs are a medium brown in color much darker than what's on yours. Let me see if I can find them and take a picture and post it here.
Old Hawaiian style was to give your 'ukulele a drink before playing by pouring a little beer on the head which made the wood pegs swell in hole and thus stay in tune longer. ;)

I have a Royal Hawaiian which I believe to be made by Kumalae. I am happy to take close up pics of the original tuners for you tomorrow. Here is one from a bit away.....
IMG_0073.jpg

I took a photo with my phone, not bad but if you would like better quality I can take one with the camera no problem, let me know! By the way, congrats on the Kumalae. Mine is a wonderful player and I am sure yours is too!
7f897ade.jpg

I sold my Kumalae but still have 3 of the pegs the forth being broken when purchased. These pegs are a medium brown in color much darker than what's on yours. Let me see if I can find them and take a picture and post it here.
Old Hawaiian style was to give your 'ukulele a drink before playing by pouring a little beer on the head which made the wood pegs swell in hole and thus stay in tune longer. ;)
That's my sort of style, it's sort of like making a little offering before you play, great stuff.
Thanks ryanmft for the pics. I think from I have seen I will stick with what I have, they are a similar size to the others shown. I had thought they looked a bit big but it may be the way they should be.
In terms of a player it is great, I am taking a while to get used to the smaller soprano size as I normally play tenor.

I agree that yours look pretty good. If they are unfinished you could stain them dark if you wanted, but I would be likely to leave yours alone. By the way, if you haven't used these friction tuners before and they slip, just push them a bit tighter into the headstock and there you go!

Now, you must post a video!

Top Bottom