PDA

View Full Version : cable management system?

greg_usa
07-16-2010, 07:34 AM
I've been working on settting up a little home recording area in some extra space i have in my apartment. Man the cables add up quick! Between the computer, the monitors, the audio interface, and the cables to the mics, guitars or whatever... looks like a family of ardvarks set up shop in my living room! Does anyone have a good solution? I guess plastic bins or something but that seems a little annoying. I saw a kids hatrack in the store... really just a board with multiple hooks -i thought that might be a good idea.

Anyway - nothing urgent. just figured i'd see if anyone had some input there.

Grassy ass!

Pueo
07-16-2010, 07:42 AM
I use a plastic bin/ box with a hinged lid for the loose cables (uke-to-amp, mic, pedals, etc). I'm really fond of that spiral plastic that just goes around and around cable bundles. It's fairly easy to undo and re-do if you have to and it looks much better than zip ties or velcro things.

farmerboy
07-16-2010, 08:14 AM
Lots of pro setups use extended hat-rack ideas - just need to be really secure to the wall as the weight adds up quick and the longer pegs makes for more leverage against the wall.

farmerboy
07-16-2010, 08:15 AM
Try to keep your mains leads away from your audio leads and never coil them - especially if there's a chance that another wire might get through the middle of the coil - this creates an electro-magnet and starts a hum.

whetu
07-16-2010, 01:40 PM
you'll find plenty of ideas on websites like lifehacker, usually they use some kind of ikea shelving system screwed to the underside of your desk. Have a google around for "ikea hacks" to get some ideas, and let us know what you settle on :)