cable management system?

greg_usa

Reaction score
I've been working on settting up a little home recording area in some extra space i have in my apartment. Man the cables add up quick! Between the computer, the monitors, the audio interface, and the cables to the mics, guitars or whatever... looks like a family of ardvarks set up shop in my living room! Does anyone have a good solution? I guess plastic bins or something but that seems a little annoying. I saw a kids hatrack in the store... really just a board with multiple hooks -i thought that might be a good idea.

Anyway - nothing urgent. just figured i'd see if anyone had some input there.

Grassy ass!

I use a plastic bin/ box with a hinged lid for the loose cables (uke-to-amp, mic, pedals, etc). I'm really fond of that spiral plastic that just goes around and around cable bundles. It's fairly easy to undo and re-do if you have to and it looks much better than zip ties or velcro things.

Lots of pro setups use extended hat-rack ideas - just need to be really secure to the wall as the weight adds up quick and the longer pegs makes for more leverage against the wall.

Try to keep your mains leads away from your audio leads and never coil them - especially if there's a chance that another wire might get through the middle of the coil - this creates an electro-magnet and starts a hum.

you'll find plenty of ideas on websites like lifehacker, usually they use some kind of ikea shelving system screwed to the underside of your desk. Have a google around for "ikea hacks" to get some ideas, and let us know what you settle on :)

Top Bottom