Chunking question

Eallend7

Reaction score
I know the correct way to chunk is like to hit with multiple fingers and all, but the way i do it is i kind of put my thumb and index together kind of like you would strum a guitar with your fingers, but i chunk like that, muting the same way, will this work? it sounds pretty much fine to me, any easier methods?

Edit: also, as opposed to muting with your thumb part of your palm i use the side close to the outside, where the pinky is, that part. and it seems to work, i try to use the multiple finger method but my fingers kind of seem to drag across the strings and then land on the body lightly, kind of tapping it at the end, is this bad? or acceptable? has anyone else had this happen?

Last edited:
I actually do it the same way you do. At least for the first part. I do use the fleshy bottom part of my thumb/palm, but I only strum with my index and thumb. I think the multiple finger method just makes it a bit louder. Then again, I'm not totally sure. So just do whatever sounds good to you.

~Hartroc :rock:

i don't know how everyone else chunks, but i think there are several different ways to do it. before i finally figured out how to chunk, i would just do a palm mute. that made it hard to do songs like "ehu girl" where you do an upstrum after the stop. the way i got it was instead of using all my fingers, i would just strum but instantly throw the thumb part of my palm on the strings. it's really hard to explain, but if you practice it different ways, eventually you'll find a way that works for you.

I do it pretty much like that but it took me awhile to figure it out and I still have to spend some time just doing chunking on the uke as mostly rhythm to be able to keep it cleaner. I do the downstroke either with index or multiple fingers and mute with the side and base of my thumb. I also sometimes work in a brush up as an upstroke variant with the side and base of my thumb for a softer muted upstroke. Especially at 1-2am.. It's hard to explain but I know it when it works. I have a new uke with my first radiused fingerboard and I sometimes miss the A string, lol, that's funny to me.

I think as long as it sounds like a chunk, you're doing it right. As a professional teacher, I've learned that not only do students learn in different ways, but often they will arrive at success by different ways as well. So you're taught one way, but on your way to mastery, you discover something else that works too, and I think it's important for educators to encourage that. As long as it's working and not inhibiting any other skill, I'd call it a success. FWIW, I do a down strum with my index finger only and mute with the outside edge of my palm (under the pinky). Happy chunking.

I just mute with my left hand. Not a palm mute, really, as I generally use my pinky. ;)

Top Bottom