Ah crap....

thejumpingflea

Reaction score
So after getting a G-String uke from my parents for a grad gift I decide my UAS has gone down for a while. Then what happens? My parents throw me a huge grad party and I got 740 bucks in gift money! AHH!!! Now that UAS is in full force. Any tips on how to get rid of this? Haha, I am eying those Koa Pili Koko sopranos down at MGM's.....

I hate how these instruments treat my wallet.... :eek:

wow your lucky... Buy 2 ukuleles :D

I've decided that I want to save at LEAST 400 of it. That leaves me ~300 for a uke. Any suggestions?

I could use a good solid wood soprano.... :music:

to be honest.. i wouldn't spend $300 on a soprano, i think $150 for me is enough for soprano... perhaps a flea ukulele or fluke? :D..

what ukuleles u have already?

I thought this way until I played some upper end ukuleles.

What about a Waverly Street ukulele?

I thought this way until I played some upper end ukuleles.

What about a Waverly Street ukulele?

Waverly Street? Sounds interesting, have you played them before?

They look really nice and the videos I've sound good too.

Thanks for that Seeso, I should have searched I 'spose. I've actually read that thread and just wanted another opinion. (Didn't realize there were so many sound samples there) I am just a very excited man at the moment. :rock:

I really am thinking about this KoAlana though, 150 from MGM and sounds very nice. I think that I may just go with it....

Then again once he gets Koa Pili Kokos in stock again those are great....

And then there is the WaverlyStreet ukes. They look mighty fine and are very well priced....

Why must there be so many choices?! :eek:

Last edited:
Here's an idea. Find a custom builder that you:

a) like the work of and...
b) has the proper length of "wait time"

Now put that $300 down (or whatever portion is needed by the luthier for the down payment) and start saving during the wait time.

Yeah, not so good in the "instant gratification" department, but you already have a very nice new uke to jam on. And at the end of the wait, you'll have a fab new uke to add to your arsenal.

Something to think about.

im anxiously waiting for the koa pili koko soprano that i just ordered from MGM. haha. i'll try and throw something up here when it comes in on wednesday this week just in case it'll help you figure out what you wanna spend that glorious sum of money. haha

I know exactly what you're going through. I hit upon the idea of a solid wood soprano in that price range a couple weeks ago.

There's some solid suggestions there. (you probably saw that thread too.)

I ended up going with the Kelii (thanks MGM) The simplicity appeals. Hawaiian made is good. Bsting's sound sample sounds good like I want a soprano to and he seems pleased with his purchase. (I looked at the Koa Pili Koko's too, but decided I'd rather go with the original flavor direct from Kelii.) Should come sometime later on this week I hope.

UAS is strong, but there's no hurry. Take your time and do your research. Bargains are to be had and buyer's remorse sucks.

Now put that $300 down (or whatever portion is needed by the luthier for the down payment) and start saving during the wait time.

Yeah, not so good in the "instant gratification" department, but you already have a very nice new uke to jam on. And at the end of the wait, you'll have a fab new uke to add to your arsenal.

I hate you. :D Not only do you have a point I am now strongly considering, but you are making my wallet hurt more with the thought of a 1500 dollar uke. (Although my UAS loves that idea...) :music:

Any ideas on great custom builders? Glyph has over a 2 year wait time...

DaSilva - I thnk he has a 12 week wait.

I guess it all depends upon what you really want...which can be tough to figure out sometimes. Here's a thought: now that you're going to get used to playing on such a nice uke as your KoAloha tenor, it may feel a bit disappointing to move to a soprano that is not of the same quality. I agree, as usual, with the excellent advice of Mr. Howlin' Hobbit! But you don't need, necessarily, to think about going all the way up to $1500, though that is of course a possibility. However, if you, say, just double your $300, you could order a custom soprano from, for instance, Mike Pereira of MP ukes. mpukuleles.com $625 for a custom of his quality is a steal, trust me! But I also understand wanting to just stay within a certain price range and get the best your money can buy. I've read nothing but good things about those Koa Pilis. Life is tough when you have UAS, brother! :D Hope you aren't feeling too stressed out by this decision! :biglaugh:

Last edited:

I guess it all depends upon what you really want...which can be tough to figure out sometimes. Here's a thought: now that you're going to get used to playing on such a nice uke as your KoAloha tenor, it may feel a bit disappointing to move to a soprano that is not of the same quality. I agree, as usual, with the excellent advice of Mr. Howlin' Hobbit! But you don't need, necessarily, to think about going all the way up to $1500, though that is of course a possibility. However, if you, say, just double your $300, you could order a custom soprano from, for instance, Mike Pereira of MP ukes. mpukuleles.com $625 for a custom of his quality is a steal, trust me! But I also understand wanting to just stay within a certain price range and get the best your money can buy. I've read nothing but good things about those Koa Pilis. Life is tough when you have UAS, brother! :D Hope you aren't feeling too stressed out by this decision! :biglaugh:

The more I think about this whole get a custom uke the more I drool over it. A uke build just for me to the specifications I need! I am nearly jumping up and down to the thought of that!

I just sent both MP and DaSilva about pricing, woods, customization, assembly times and such and this may be the route I go. (As I am more then content with my G-String Tenor at the moment)

Man, I am happy right now. And to think my parents think I should SAVE all that money.... They have no idea how hard it is to have UAS. :biglaugh:

Thanks for all the input guys!

Top Bottom