KPK givaway Deadline July 31st

Valerie

Reaction score
2wqwzyg.jpg

Up for grabs: A concert, all solid acacia Koa Pili Koko ukulele with case, humidifier and tuner. (Stuffed whale not included)

How to win: Reply to this thread saying why you would like this ukulele. Anyone can enter, but preference will be given to those who either do not own a ukulele or the one they have is more a toy than an instrument. Please do not enter for other people. If you know someone who could use this instrument, tell them to enter (exception: if you are entering on behalf of a child under the age of 13.)

Contest closes July 31st at midnight EST. Winner will be announced by August 5th.

Wow! Very generous! A nice lookin' concert uke and case. Good luck to all who enter... :)

I have no reason that this should be given to me other than sheer, unadulterated lust for such a pretty instrument.
I just wanted a) to bump the thread so people would see it and b) thank you for being so generous and for being a perfect example of the kind of folks I'm finding here on UU.
I love that kindness is the rule rather than the exception to it.

Just a thought that popped into my head. UkuleleHill and a couple of others are doing a summer thing with kids. I know Seeso and Hank are as well.
If there isn't a suitable entrant to win, perhaps you could offer it to them as a prize for their best or most improved students, or for them to give as a reward to a student they think will stick with it and deserves a nice instrument and set up like that.

Just a thought.

I would like this ukulele, dear Valerie, as it is currently owned by a divine ukulele princess as yourself. To own such a beautiful instrument would be a constant reminder of how your presence has graced such an unworthy audience.

Actually give it to someone who truly deserves it. Your generousity is outstanding.

Last edited:
First off, Valerie, its the generosity from people like you that keeps UU up and running.

I hope by reading my reply that I don't get the impression of being an ignorant and selfish person, but I'd just like to put my entry into a story.

My friends and I carpool together on the way from and to school, and it was just a normal ride back home. One of my friend, got into the heated topic of playing guitar, himself being a guitar player. We were in a heated debate of why anyone should play it, and my head popped in the idea of playing the ukulele. It just popped in for some reason, I don't even know why. I thought about the idea of playing an instrument , how no one at school plays it and how the sound just appealed to me.

I went home and google-d "ukuleles" and it was like a whole universe that just popped in front of me. Millions and millions of searches came up and I was baffled. I stumbled across MGM's store, and was awed by how high the prices for some ukuleles were. I thought they were merely toys. Excited, and nonetheless intrigued, I told my parents that I wanted to buy one. They doubted my decision and told me that I had to focus on schoolwork and put my hobbies on the side until I get more time in the future. I didn't say anything but just worked hard until I could get their approval.

On the car one day from my friends house I told my dad that I felt I had more time to do something else rather than play games or just run around. He already knew that I had a desire to learn how to play the ukulele, and just replied "okay, when we get home, let's get one." I literally shouted in my head until my mind exploded.

He bought me the Kala soprano package from MGM. I thought it was the best thing in the world.

It arrived on Thanksgiving weekend, (great timing Mike!), and I quickly grabbed a knife and slashed at the cardboard box like a monster. Inside, the case smelled of Hawaii, and inside the ukulele smelled of paradise. I was suprised at how light and small it was, and the plinky strings sounded so funny to me. I carefully unwrapped the towel paper from the strings and put it aside to me. (I still have it, it came from Hawaii!) The uke itself was just.....amazing. I played piano before this, and let me say that playing the piano wasn't fun, it felt forced. Anyways, fast forward, bzzbzhzhh!

Over Thanksgiving weekend, I spent the days on the couch with the "Learn how to play ukulele today!" in my lap and began learning simple chords. Once I finished that, I found UU. I started going though the endless videos and lessons, and finally came across the forums. It felt like a great way to learn and I found the people to be awesome.

It's been about 2 years since I got the Kala, and it's still sitting next to me. UAS has already gotten to me for a while, and my dad still thinks that all ukulele are the same, and 500 dollars is to expensive for one. I still can't get any sense into him, but I still find myself going through MGM's store and ukereplublic's looking at the concerts and tenors and solid wood and koa and acacia and maple...

I'm starting a ukulele club next year at my school, gotten at least 5 friends to get the ukulele bite, and they already love it. Each strum brings a smile they say.

Sorry for the long reply, but I'm done, and let me just say that playing the ukulele has so far changed my life. I love learning songs from Jake's to traditional Honey Baby. I might even go to Hawaii when I graduate, but we'll see. Thanks again, and this is why I would like that KPK.

Valerie, that is so generous to offer such a nice ukulele. :) Hopefully nobody lies and says they don't have a ukulele and snatch it..

Valerie, this is so generous!

I play on a Mahalo U-30 (red, my favorite!) and I've had it for about a year now. I bought it with my own money ($25) because I wanted to be able to play songs that I listen to on my iPod and be able to sing along and stuff. I had tried teaching myself guitar, but my hands just weren't strong enough, so I picked up the uke and became infatuated with the simplicity of it. I learned how to read tabs and tune it and to sing along in the correct key... It opened me up to a world of music that I had never seen before*, along with strengthening my hands so that I can now efficiently play guitar! (* I play the clarinet and classical music is kind of what I do.) The ukulele was a gateway for me. I don't think I'll ever give my Mahalo up because it started something BIG for me and I have a lot of memories with it (including using it in a Halloween costume... Ingrid Michaelson)! It changed the way I view music! It brought me to this wonderful community of ukers!! I'm eternally grateful for this little red Mahalo uke.

Thank you again Valerie!! Whoever wins will be one lucky uker!!

What a wonderful thing to do! And such a lovely ukulele! I would love to have a solid-wood ukulele, but I really don't qualify--I have LOTS of ukes and don't need another one! So it should go to someone else. :)

CountryMouse

Wow Valerie, this is an awesome contest.
Let me introduce myself again, since I am new this this forum and the Ukulele.
My name is Oren, I live in israel and I am a 34 years old, fresh dad (my baby is 11 months old).
I have been playing guitar for 25 years. I have played Jazz and rock, as well as classical music for many years, and have also performed in various groups when I was younger.
My son is very musical, we can already see that, as young as he may be. When there's a song on TV he'd stop whatever he's doing and come to check it out. He enjoys music very much, and I play and sing to him a lot. He has been crawling to my lap when i am playing - sometime listening, sometimes joining by tapping on the guitar or strumming the strings. He is gentle and percise enough to single-fingerly strum the strings. He has a plastic toy guitar, but of course he likes the real guitars better (I have 5 of those at home).
So, the other day, a few weeks ago, I have entered a music shop to get some strings, and there was this Romanian soprano ukulele hanging on the wall. So I thought I'd get it for my boy. Since he'll see me play it, he'll understand this is a real instrument. So I bought it... and fell in love with the uke.
It's an awesome instrument. I keep in his playing zone, he likes it a lot and plays it (either strumming or banging on it). But the problem is that I am liking it a lot too! I already can sing and play many children's songs with it, as well as some spanish flamenco stuff I have adapted for uke (he really enjoys the flurry rasguados) and a few other songs (I grabbed cheek to cheek and eleanor rigby from dr. uke).
Anyway, now I need to get ME a more reasonable ukulele. First, I can't take his away. Secondly, it was a cheap instrument. Though it's much better now that I ave changed it's strings to Aquila's, I can see it's not a very well made instrument (though it's probably reasonable for the money).
Here comes the problem. As much as I have tried to look, there aren't any reasonable ukulele's in Israel. Most are more like toys. Most serious music store chains have cheap, $20 after import costs and tax instruments. I can't find a uke to my liking.
So I have started to look online, but that would always be buying an instrument I haven't seen and played. And it seems delivery is at least $30-$40 which is quite expensive considering I will be buying a $50-$150 uke (plus i'd pay taxes when it arrives).
Plus, this is a concert sized instrument. The one I bought is soprano and is a bit smallish in my hands (though cute). Having a concert sized instrument shipped is even more expensive.
Of course, if you select me to win this, I will gladly pay the shipping costs.
I don't think I deserve this more than anyone else. There are probably more talented and young candidates. But think about sending this beautiful instrument to make people happy at the other side of the world!
Thanks,
Oren

BTW
Hawaii and Israel are 12 hours apart, so it's almost exactly the other side of the world from the Ukulele's birthplace!

Last edited:
I would love this ukulele because:
Currently the only acoustic uke I have is a yellow Mahalo soprano. I have had the same $20 ukulele for the last seven years (since I was seven years old) and it is getting very battered and bruised. Seeing as I lack the funds for a decent-sounding uke (being 14 years old and unable to make good money) I would be over the moon to get a beautiful ukulele like that.
Thanks a lot for your generosity, I do hope the worthiest cause gets it.

-Harry

Well i just started playing the ukulele not too long ago....i bought the cheapest one i could find, just to see if i would like playing it..turns out I LOVE IT! I'm making youtube videos with it, but it would be nice to have a higher quality ukulele so i could really show off lol!

Why do i want this lovely ukulele?

well in all honesty i want it because i really want a decent instrument to play. I will not lie i have 3 ukes, all of which i love very much but none of which are more than half decent, and none of which are concert size. My 'best' uke is a lanikai lt21, it is great and i really have enjoyed it and come a long way on it, but to go further, to be better i think i need a better quality uke. my other two are an MPM uke, i bought for 50 euros on EBAY, ive made the best of it and had it re done to make it playable but it is not a great instrument by any stretch of the imagination. The third one is the most tragic, it is a handmade uke from a local luthier, lovely wood and really nice finish, but the neck is twisted and cracked and it is such a shame that it can't hold a tune. anyway, that's why. it you think that's worthy then id love that uke for life. If not well, whoever gets it will deserve it i am sure. thanks for being so generous.

i am entering on behalf of my students, i am a music educator in a primary school and we have a small ukulele ensemble called the jumping fleas, they play mahalos, and some of these kids come from disadvantaged backgrounds, with children that are low economic background, many come as immigrants and refugees and english as not the first language. music is a great outlet for them and in the 11 weeks we have been running the program they have 3 performances lined up, one an international collaboration with students in Japan, who visit our school every two years, there performance is next week with the japanese students. they have really got into it, and for me it is exciting to see young children in grade 3 and 5 enjoy the ukulele so much. it would be nice to present them with a proper ukulele and if you are giving one to someone please keep us in mind.

i would upload a photo of them but i do not have right permissions to post photos of minors without consent. if you are interested in seeing them i can send you a private link as our website is under development. if it is up and running by the deadline i will post a link for you.
some families cant even afford to buy mahalos for their children so i have provided them with ukes which i purchased as part of my music program for the students that show interest and skill and parent cant or wont buy them a uke i loan them one for no fee.
one girl in particular, she is brilliant at playing and picks things up quick but her parents refuse to buy her one, i would really love to reward her with a good instrument as she will be one good uke player in years to come.

Last edited:
I hope this uke goes to someone who loves and appreciates it.

Hi Valerie
The reason I would dearly love to own this beautiful uke is because I am an arthritis sufferer who discovered the uke when unable to play the guitar because of my condition. I got a soprano uke and this allows me to play for a little while but after about 10 minutes I am in too much pain to play anymore. I love the uke and it is my preferred instrument. I have tried mandolin and it just doesnt do it for me even though the length is about right. The concert uke is about 3.5 inches longer than the soprano and about the same size as the mandolin which would ease the stress on my elbow and allow me to play the music that I love on the instrument that I love again.
Blessings
Jayne

This is great contest Valerie, and I would like to be the next owner of that uke.

The reason is probably i'm goin to record my own EP with much better uke than this mahalo soprano U-30 ,i only have this one,and probably Mahalo is the only brand that available in my country (y'all so lucky livin in a ukes paradise,hehe). I love this tiny instrument because i can play it anywhere i want since it's pretty much portable instrument and easy to play. I still remember it was summer 2009 when i bought this mahalo, the shopkeeper... they have no idea about this instrument,i was just like "what? you sellin them but you know nothin about them?".

Beside that uke,actually i have another dream that i want it to be realize soon,like havin a uke shop. Yeah i know not now,hahaha.
Thanks a lot,sorry if my english is not that good,hehe,god bless y'all

ogi

How much for the whale? LOL I'd love another beautiful uke but I have already read stories of people more deserving...so good luck in choosing!

Top Bottom