New Ponos?

iDavid

Reaction score
How are people liking the new Pono line? I have a baritone from the old line that is really nice, but I don't dig baritones.

How do the new ones compare to the old. The sound clips sound pretty impressive!

I've had a slothead mahogany for a couple of weeks. Less volume than KoAloha. More similar to kanilea and kamaka. I can give it more of a comparison once I switch strings. Not a fan of the stock strings. First time I've used a wound c. It is a thing of beauty though!

I've had a slothead mahogany for a couple of weeks. Less volume than KoAloha. More similar to kanilea and kamaka. I can give it more of a comparison once I switch strings. Not a fan of the stock strings. First time I've used a wound c. It is a thing of beauty though!

I don't dig the stock strings either. What strings are you going to put on her?

I recently took the all-mahogany tenor for a spin. Sounds nice, plays nice, looks nice...but expensive. It didn't seem significantly better than a Mainland (which is only a little more than half the price).

...didn't seem significantly better than a Mainland (which is only a little more than half the price).

A Mainland classic solid mahogany tenor with shipping (assume shipping costs you $20) and a hardshell case (comparable to a Ko'olau case) from Mainland could cost around $348. A solid mahogany tenor from Pono could cost $367 (this includes shipping and a Ko'olau hardshell case).
Using the same comparison, a solid mahogany baritone from Pono is actually about $5 cheaper than a comparable Mainland.

Last edited:
Where'd you find the Pono tenor so cheap? The one I played was close to $500. $367 including a case is reasonable enough, but I see that there are a few cosmetic variations available that can send the price to almost $600.

Hawaii Music Supply: http://hawaiimusicsupply.com/pono.php

The price I quoted is for the classic mahogany series tenor. You're right though, the mahogany deluxe series that adds an ebony fretboard and gloss finish goes up in price, then there's the pro-classic rosewood series, the pro-classic maple, and the pro-classic mahogany. Seems the tenors max-out around $800!!

How do the new ones compare to the old. The sound clips sound pretty impressive!

I played a rosewood tenor with cedar top at the NAMM Show and it truly sounded great! Warm and clear.

Bought my Pono bari in May soon after they came out. Love the sound and playability. Scale length is 21.5".
Played an older Model Pono Bari in February. Sounded very sweet and perhaps just a little darker and quieter than the newer all mahogany model.
Don't remember what the wood was for the one I played but in hind site should have bought it verses the Pono Tenor (Spruce top, Ebony back and sides).
Anyway my conclusion is the new lighter built mahogany models sound better or at least more open.
BTW, best ad price for Pono Tenor is $390 incl shpg and case from MGM. That's the satin finish. Gloss adds to the cost as does a pu.
Mainlands are fine for a couple hundred bucks (own one) but the Pono for a few bucks more is a big step up in richness of tone.
Just one more note on baritone ukes.... also have an Ohana baritone. Scale is 19.5". A great little instrument.... just not as rich and full as the Pono.

Last edited:
How was the volume?

I guess the volume was okay.... It's not something I really look for. It's like if an instrument is loud, but has a crappy voice, it defeats the purpose. I'm more interested in balance and clarity. Both Cali and I were impressed!

I guess the volume was okay.... It's not something I really look for. It's like if an instrument is loud, but has a crappy voice, it defeats the purpose. I'm more interested in balance and clarity. Both Cali and I were impressed!

Clarity is the key is suppose. When I think of muted I think less volume.

Received my MPT-E (spruce over maple) from MGM last week. Very impressive instrument. Build quality, finish and woods all first rate. Action at the 12th fret was high for my liking so I've sanded the saddle some and that's now fine. Also did not like the Ko'olau gold strings that were on it and put some Savarez with low G on it yesterday. Currently have a Mainland glossy mahogany tenor and for being less money, the Mainland actually stacks up very well (same Savarez strings). With being totally different woods I would expect a difference between the two. I think the Pono has a bit more volume and a bit more refined and complex tone. But because of the woods used and finish quality, I think the Pono will have a greater chance to open up nicely and be a great instrument over time. Also, the pick-up, for being a passive one, is very good and responsive, without a preamp. Overall, very impressed. The Pono is definitely talking to me.

Bill

The new Pono line of ukulele's are hard to beat. They're a great value for the money, very well made, quality woods and finishes. The Uke's are lighter than previous models and the sound board thinner, all woods being solid. You can also purchase the lower line without the Ko'olau hard case at a savings.

After doing a search and lots of scrolling I came across this thread which is some of what I was interested in. So I'm reviving it.

I've started jamming at a weekly jazz workshop this summer & I'm kind of ready to expand my playing options a bit. The uke I've been using used to be my least favorite (though the best looking), a PKS-2-E which is one of the older school discontinued koa ones. It looks amazing, but is just kind of heavy and thick acoustically, yet through the amplified set up I've been using for the workshop works quite well without a lot of Eq voodoo. It's still kind of dead in my arms, but sounds pretty good in this context.

I'm thinking that a tenor would be a nice change of pace for some things & now that I've come to appreciate some aspects of my older Pono, I'm more curious about the newer versions of the Pono line.

How are people feeling about their newer Ponos now that a few more months have passed and you've had some more time with them?

I played a rosewood tenor with cedar top at the NAMM Show and it truly sounded great! Warm and clear.

I have an Ohana tenor in that wood combo. I think that combo is a winner for any Ukulele maker. Warm, clear, good volume and rich and full when strung low g.

Top Bottom