fingeers....

Jigga

Reaction score
i hold a key for lik 10 seconds and my finger hurts alot
i had this ukulele for lik 3 days now.....
is it the strings that r too stiff/hard or am is it something to get used to?

It takes a bit of time to build some small callus on the tips of your fingers. Take it slow, don't press too hard for too long and it will come your way soon.

If it persists though it could be the strings... Some strings have higher and lower tensions and are softer and harder depending on what you are looking for. But Harold gave you some great advice too :)

thanks for answering on such a noob question

It might take two weeks to build up some nice callouses, so stick with it. The first few weeks are always a little painful. Those callouses will make the ends of those fingers numb eventually. Take a short break whenever it starts to hurt too much. Look at the distance the strings are from the fingerboard. Some ukes need a saddle or nut adjustment. If the strings are too far from the fingerboard, your fingers have to press too hard (and it hurts). If the strings are too close to the fingerboard, the strings will buzz because they are vibrating against the frets. People who play vigorously need the strings to be high, while those who fingerpick more or strum less energetically can have the strings set up for "lower action".
–Lori

I second that - get the action set up properly and your fingers'll hurt a lot less. Unfortunately everyone has to go through the pain barrier, but stick with it - it's worth it.

i hold a key for lik 10 seconds and my finger hurts alot
i had this ukulele for lik 3 days now.....
is it the strings that r too stiff/hard or am is it something to get used to?

I think you're telling us that your fingers hurt? If this is what you are saying then I assure you it happens to all of us and the only way round it is to keep playing and your finger tips will harden up.

Find A steel string guitar and play for a half a hour a day for a few days and you will never feel the pain on your fluorocarbon Uku strings. :) :)
Lozark

Yup you could always put a lighter guage strings on and it would be less tension and more
comfortable which helps with the playability. It also would make the uke sound brighter....
in guitar terms, "slinky" strings..

If you just keep playing while the strings loosen up, you'll begin to develop calluses on your finger tips. This is the best way to make the pain stop, because then once you have the callus you will be able to play for a much longer time without any pain or discomfort.

hahahaha... i feel this.
going from a steel string acoustic guitar with horrible action to a uke with great action was unbelievable.
the difference was like night and day.

in response to the original question:
what everyone has said is dead on... keep playing and it will hurt less and less.
the small amount of pain is worth it to learn a beautiful instrument!
keep it up, and you'll be pleased with the results!

Top Bottom