Is there a way to recycle uke strings?

kissing

Reaction score
It just occurred to me that a lot of uke strings must just go in the bin when replaced.
So is there a better way? A way to recycle them for a sustainable future?

After googling around a bit, I found that this area of discussion has popped up in guitar forums already, and they have a means for used strings to be re-used:
http://www.secondstringsproject.org/
http://www.strings-andadare.com/

But what of uke strings?
I am not aware of too many uke players in poorer countries...
I suppose sending uke strings to the Second Strings project would be a bit like sending them strings cut in half xDD

I play a steel-string electric uke... and well I guess there aren't a big number of steel-string uke players who'd appreciate my used-up strings....and sending it to an electric guitarist would be kinda useless..

Any ideas of how to recycle uke strings (both nylon and steel strings)?
It seems so wasteful just throwing them out in the bin. I don't know whether putting them in the recycling bin would do anything (I'm rather doubtful they would recycle strings.. or would they?).

Using them for other instruments, I guess, but is it worth sending them to 3rd world countries to use as instrument strings? I doubt it. I mean, after the expense of doing that, ya might as well send them new strings, so used worn out ones wouldn't be cost effective to send. As far as recycling for the enviornment, sure, just like you recycle any vinyl, nylon, or plastic. As far as steel, sure, the same thing. Not worth a trip to the recyclers for a set, but shops it might build up, or just toss them in with other scrap metal or plastic.

Or, ya can use them for tying back your drapes. As far as steel strings, I have used old ones for cutting cheese (ok, don't bring back the "GAS" jokes lol). I have used them to connect to batteries to get them hot to cut foam. Use steel or nylon for ties like twine.

So, sure ya can recycle. I use all kinda of worn out stuff for other uses.

use some cotton and weave them into unbreakable friendship bands - maybe even add a ukulele button in the weave...

I have a shipment of Aquilas coming in and am restringing most if not all my GHS stringed Ukes. So if you seriously do think of something, let me know. I had the same thought. I have only re-strung on uke and I felt so weird having perfectly good extra strings on hand. If there is something practical people could use them for I can give them away.

recycle them yourself - never change your strings again

or better yet, just move them to your other ukuleles.

send them to the zoo as dental floss for various sized animals

Team up with a guitar player and ask for all his used picks, and make mobiles out of them

Have you heard of the world's largest ball of twine? Ok, time to get started

You know ukulele string is just fishing line. Tie them together and go fishing

Look, I know you want to save the planet. But leave that to the sanitation engineers, they already have procedures for sorting and recycling various materials. You do your job and they'll do theirs.

If you're clever at this sort of thing you could braid them into jewelry?

I know allot of the fishing piers along the California coast have bins specifically marked for the disposing of used fishing lines to be recycled. If you live in California go play your 'ukulele on the pier and throw away your old strings at the same time. ;)

I know allot of the fishing piers along the California coast have bins specifically marked for the disposing of used fishing lines to be recycled. If you live in California go play your 'ukulele on the pier and throw away your old strings at the same time. ;)

Berkley (fishing line) sponsors line recycling (or at least they used to)...check a local fishing store to see if they have a bin for old line.

If everyone of us changed our strings on the same day, it wouldn't amount to a fraction of the wasted and discarded fishing line in this Country!

Btw...excellent idea! I'll be recyling my strings from now on. (To be honest, it had never even occured to me...)

~Michael

Top Bottom