First time playing the uke at a party... question?

jacothedog

Reaction score
So I've had the uke for a little over a week, and last night I brought it out and started playing at a party. Of course, SOTR was immediately recommended, and I played it.

I trult love the way Iz played and sung it, but how long will it be until I'm groaning when this is requested. (we sung it 3 times last night). I guess it's just one of those things. People automatically associate the uke with that song right away.

Anyway, the real reason for the post is that after last night, i realize the power of this awesome little
instrument. It can elevate the vibe of a party with one strum. It forces smiles on people. It makes people do a little happy dance in their chairs.

....and to think I made fun of my old guitar playing friend when he bought one earlier this year.

I've never learned SOTR, never played SOTR and still groan when people request it.

Once you've got a big enough repetoir, it gets easier to turn people down and just keep going with a set of songs you want to play...And don't learn songs you don't want to play;)

I think IZ and Jake have done wonders for the mainsteam acceptance of a craft that we have already known to love!

I think I would rather play SOTR than Tiny Bubbles or Tip toe thru the tulips...

Ok I'll ask what is SOTR

"Somewhere Over the Rainbow".

I'd much rather be playing this than "I'm Yours" or "Hey Soul Sister". As long as that isn't the only song you're playing over and over again, it's not so bad. I get a lot of requests to play Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah", surprisingly. It's starting to wear on me a bit because I've got so many other songs in my repertoire :(. Ah well. Folks enjoy it.

Yeah, the uke is fantastic for parties. I make sure I bring mine with me to nearly every social gathering I can. Makes all those awkward moments melt away pretty fast.

Play all the songs you don't like by plucking them one string at a time

"Turn people down" and "still groan when people request it." Don't get me wrong. I get it, when people have requested songs (the same ones, the classics, the oversung, the overrequested). And yes, I've "felt" that way too.

But unless you're Bono turning down requests for "Still Haven't Found..." you're not there to educate people but to entertain. Hey, I've "felt" the same way.

Well, I do love the song and the point made about it helping to bring ukes into the mainstream is a good one. It's fun to play at this point, and I don't really turn down requests, unless they are for a specific artist who I truly despise.......

Such is the burden of the musician at a party. Be proud to bear it! :)

When I sit down at piano at a party, I pretty much have to play "Piano Man". If my accordion is handy, it's "Chicken Dance" (only the real old-timers know about "Lady of Spain" anymore).

Does/will it get old? Sure. But focus on the joy you're bringing to everyone and you'll get through it. That's what it's about anyway, IMHO.

JJ

Such is the burden of the musician at a party. Be proud to bear it! :)

When I sit down at piano at a party, I pretty much have to play "Piano Man". If my accordion is handy, it's "Chicken Dance" (only the real old-timers know about "Lady of Spain" anymore).

Does/will it get old? Sure. But focus on the joy you're bringing to everyone and you'll get through it. That's what it's about anyway, IMHO.

JJ

If when asked what beer you wanted (maybe even Bud, Miller or Yuengling) someone came back with something from an obscure microbrewery that costs 3 times more (and tasted like women's perfume was added), would you like it better? Not ganging up here. Talking also to myself...I have shabbier attitudes than you do...

Last edited:
Just because you've heard the song so many times doesn't mean that others have. Let 'em in on the fun. And as you get to where you can play it blindfolded, take the chance to look around and watch the reactions of people in the crowd. There's a whole lot more to "being on stage" than merely playing.

If you know you're going to whip out a uke at a friendly gathering (not a paying gig) then bring along a second uke. Then if someone gets real curious, you'll be able to get them playing something like the Cowboy Song pretty quick. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...om-Hanks-Joe-vs-Volcano&highlight=cowboy+song

I've always been fond of the expression I learned at Irish gigs: "You hum it and I'll smack your face in". Works on 90% of requests, but make sure you check who you're talking to first - nearly came a cropper when I said it under my breath before turning round and finding it was a 6ft 10 farm labourer asking for the Wild Rover. On this occasion I acquiesced!

My tip is to play lots of disco and 80s classics that everyone loves and that they don't necessarily expect. Keep them guessing and you'll soon find the requests dry up as they find it's more exciting to wait and see.

How do you think Don Hoe felt about Tiny Bubbles ?

Like someone with a decent amount of money in the bank.

BTW, at this stage in my life I'd rather listen to "Tiny Bubbles" than something like "You've Got A Friend."

Aloha Kirstin,
I love somewhere over the rainbow, a while back I learned the basic tab for it and expanded it for my version.
You can get the tabs on Tropical Storm Hawaii, Tab section...It was fun to learn, and even more to play now.
I like all kinds of music and I try some of each and I definetly like Hey soul sister and I'm yours too!!
Yup sharing your music with others always brighten things up. Have a nice day!!

Aloha Keef,
I like "Tiny Bubbles" it's such a classic!!and it spans from generation to generation.. it now
seems that it catches the younger and older generation even more.....yup when you age, you
go for the classics too!! Hope i'm not giving a hint of my age....
Besides, he took all that money to the bank.....Not to mention
all the nice people he met on the way with his journey.....
Girls, Girls, Girls.....nah that was Elvis's song....I think????

Sometimes thinking about a tune you don't like in different light can bring new meaning to it, and thus make it more bearable. For instance, SOTR is widely considered to be an uplifting song of optimism and redemption, when actually it's about a depressed young girl's wish to get out of the hell-hole she was born into - a common teen theme. When you look at the original lyrics (Iz kinda mixes them up a bit), it's really quite hopeless. It was considered by MGM to be such a downer in The Wizard Of Oz that it was nearly cut. Of course, it ultimately stayed in and went on to win an Oscar. Try putting that spin on it for your audience the next time you play it (and there will be a next time...) and slow it down to its "proper" depressing tempo.

Hope that helps!

Iz "mixed them up" with What a Wonderful World....on purpose. It's a medley.

Anyway, from my own experiencing busking once and playing at a bunch of my friends parties:

Be sure at least the host of the party wants you to play some uke, otherwise you'll be the annoying guy at the party who brought a guitar....except it's a uke.
Know your audience. You WILL get requests. You will NOT know 90% of what they ask for.
Do yourself a favor and learn SOTR, Lady Gaga, Jason Mraz because they will get requested. (This will depend on how old you are.) I refuse to play Hey, Soul Sister, but....
The opening lick of My Girl will always win smiles (check uke live lessons for that!)
If you think you're NOT going to play Build Me Up, Buttercup, you are sorely, sorely mistaken. Learn it, it's fun, it's a great singalong. This also applies for Sweet Caroline, too.
If you're running into patches where nobody knows the songs you're playing, Beatles, Beatles, Beatles. Did I say Beatles? Because, Beatles.

Have fun man, it's always fun to play for people.

SOTR: by coincidence, teaching that song to my wife. But not the Bruddah Iz rendention, more toward the original. I find both versions, the original and Bruddah Iz's both somewhat depressing actually.

Top Bottom