Strings clicking

Keef

Reaction score
When playing the strings will make a clicking sound as they slide ever so slightly on the bridge as they become un stuck from one position and find a set in the next position . Is their some type of lube I can use that won't harm the strings or the bridge. I am playing a stock KoAloha Sceptre tenor with factory strings.
I wasn't smart enough to learn anyone elses songs so I made up my own and to do the song right you have to strum like a mad man kinda like banjo music :)

Just put a little vasaline on the bridge and it's still doing it even with lite struming it's driving me ( a rather short drive ) insane

Vaseline on your sceptre? It's making me insane just thinking about it...

send some detailed pictures and we might be able to help...

I'm not sure how a picture will help but here you go the string with the little black pipe pointed at it is the one making the clicking noise as it moves on the bridge
9fcb3b85.jpg

If it's an audible "click" and not just friction, chances are the bridge is grooved from string wear. Take it out (it's removable, right? If not, just do it in place...carefully) and polish the top until it's smooth as glass. A "Four Way" nail buffer is great for this. It has multiple grits clear down to 1200 or so and a buffing portion to bring up the shine again.

The other option is the opposite. Deepen the groove just enough so the string won't pop out anymore.

I will remove the bridge take it to work and look at it under a 10x glass

Just run a cotton ball over it. If it shreds, you found the spot.

I don't think so. My Kamaka has the same issue, along with my other uke. It's more of a depression than a rough cut. I wonder if it has to do with humidity. Kamaka said a new saddle would be in order, but I just shifted the one currently on my 'ukulele down in the saddle grove. Now the strings rest on "undimpled" bone.

The bridge shows no sign of wear at all so I shifted it so strings all contact a virgin area of the bridge with the same sticking clicking noise result hippy guy may be right it could be a humidity issue .... I'll put it in the oven and see if it helps

Aloha Keef,
Have you always had this issue or has it just begun???
Whoa the oven may have been too extreme....thought you were
jus kiding....
I'd give Ko Aloha a call and see what they have to say....

Last edited:
I was mostly kidding I got the coils to glow then I placed the bridge on the cold broiler and took the picture :) however I did let it warm just incase it really did help but it did not I will contact koaloha and ask what can be done if they don't know then I am not above making a tiny notch for each string I mean how much could that little piece cost to replace if I'm wrong
..... Can anyone tell that I work research and development :)
you only live once be careful not scared . Oh I forgot to answer your question no it didn't do this in the begining

Last edited:
Keef, this may seem like an odd question but where are you strumming? You wrote that you are strumming pretty hard which is causing the strings to move on the saddle right? You may know all this, but as I think about this problem I started to wonder if you are strumming over the sound hole or even below the sound hold closer to the bridge? I can't think why your strings would move like this.....does it make any difference if you strum above the sound hole?

Forgive me if this is not at all helpful but I just thought that perhaps the issue isn't the saddle at all but how you impact the strings and the stress would be more if you were strumming down low. Just a thought....

Ryan this is actualy a good smart and fair question because I asked my self the same question :)
the answer is yes I've been strumming below the sound hole Because the points on the sceptre stick me in the forearm and I figured that I must have brought it on myself so I corrected this and started strumming at the base of the neck but it still ticks... It is very possible that I wore the strings where they contact the bridge and replacing them might solve the problem
This is the beginer section right? :)
if I do need to replace the strings what strings can I use that will give a crisper louder sound without using metal strings?

Last edited:
I think the recommended place to strum on a uke is above the sound hole, around where the body meets the neck.
I find that strumming at the sound hole or below (close to bridge) is not ideal, and could be cause of your problems.

Crisp loud sound without being metal? Aquila strings come to mind, give them a try.

Thanks I will try them
I sent a email to koaloha along with a link to this thread

When I strum where you mentioned (below the soundhole closer to the bridge), it feels very awkward and I can see why it would make even a high-end uke like a Scepter click.
Especially when you're strumming very hard.

I agree with Kissing about the strings. I have aquila's on my concert Koaloha and I like them a lot. Bright, loud, and clear.

I hope you will update this thread when you get it figured out.

here is a update for you this morning I played it with no clicking
I live in the south florida swamps the mornings are always clear and the temp is lower
the afternoon and evenings are hot muggy with thunder showers about half the time. This problem could be due to the humidity getting into the strings
stay tuned for the next update :)

Top Bottom