Turning my satin Kamaka into a gloss

Satin or gloss?

• Satin all the way, it sounds better and is traditional.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Gloss baby, it shows off the curl in the wood and is prettier.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Gloss is better but I wouldn't alter a current uke to get it.

Votes: 23 37.7%

• Total voters

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
Okay, I know that satin finishes are supposed to sound better. I also know satin is more traditional. And I already have two gloss ukuleles (my Kanile'a and KoAloha). But I can't help it. The one thing I have always regretted is that my beloved Kamaka (my most versatile uke) is not gloss. I just sort of feel like the curl in the wood would be more visible in a gloss finish. And I can't help it, I like pretty, shiny things.

So at today's uke festival I asked Fred Kamaka, Jr. whether I could have it changed from satin to gloss. I told him I will be on Oahu until Wednesday afternoon and asked if I could have them do it. He told me to bring it in tomorrow morning at 8am and they would try to do it before I go. And if it isn't done in time, they will ship it back to me. It is very reasonable in price, and I don't think I will regret it, but I hate parting with that uke and I am scared. Just curious, do you guys prefer satin or gloss on your ukes, and would you do it?

And nope, I can't afford to buy a new one so that is not an option. ;)

Last edited:
I'm a little partial to gloss top and headstock and satin sides and back.

I've hand rubbbed out both my ukuleles to a gloss top and headstock. The finished product has a gloss but doesn't have that thick plastic gloss look.

If you have to add another coat of finish to get to a gloss, I'm not sure I'd do that.

John

Last edited:
I'm a little partial to gloss top and headstock and satin sides and back.

I've hand rubbbed out both my ukuleles to a gloss top and headstock. The finished product has a gloss but doesn't have that thick plastic gloss look.

If you have to add another coat of finish to get to a gloss, I'm not sure I'd do that.

John

How did you hand-rub it? I have a satin finish, but its glossy on the edge because my strumming hand brushes against it alot.

I like satin myself, just looks right for a beautiful timber, looks natural. If I went gloss it would have to be flawless like most guitars, the gloss ukes I have seen are often only average looking. Maybe they are going for a handmade look.

I think satin looks better. My uke is also developing some glossiness from strumming. I kinda like it.

Hi WickedWahine11,

Kamaka finishes with lacquer so it's no big deal at all.
Less than an hour when you've got a shop with proper tools
already set up. Sure go for it, I like shine too.

Cheers

I love gloss too.
It's not so much that satins sound 'better' than gloss.
There is a difference in tone, but it's not a 'better/worse' thing.

I would definitely go for the gloss. I am a big fan of beautiful wood grain, and I love ukuleles with glossy finishes. They are like jewels, they are so beautiful. I find the satin finish a bit sad, especially on plain ukes. To have Kamaka do it for you, I wouldn't hesitate!!
–Lori

I asked Fred about the finishes too. The six string they had on display was a gloss finish while all the other display ukes were satin. He said the gloss was a mistake and that they usually use satin ukes for their displays. He said the long time players like the traditional satin finish on their ukes. However, the retailers like the gloss finish since it has more of a bling factor.

I asked Fred about the sound differences but he said there isn't any. Both ukes get the same six undercoats and the seventh coat determines if it is gloss or satin finish.

They brought one of my 40+ year old sopranos to me at the show. One year in the shop for a new nut, regluing of the fretboard, top, back and saddle along with a complete satin refinish. The uke looks brand new now. I took it out of the case during the show and a lady behind me thought it was a brand new uke! I told her it was over 40 years old and she was stunned. I love the satin finish on it but I would probably have loved it in gloss too.

I just pulled out my concert KoAloha in satin finish that I leave in Hawaii and I love it too. All my ukes on the mainland are gloss finishes. In all honesty, the satin finish feels smoother. Its almost silky while the gloss tends to feel a little more sticky.

Aloha Wahine 11,
Before I thought that a thick coat of finish muffled the sound of the ukulele...now I think it's the thickness of the soundboard and finish
that matters. My thought is when you refinish your uke, you sand away some of the thickness of the soundboard which may affect the
sound. To accomadate that, a thicker finish would resolve that issue. I once had a Kamaka 4 string tenor that had been over finished
(heavy coat of gloss) and it sounded really muffled. I put on a lighter guage strings and it resolved that issue for me. Jus my thoughts...
But the gloss makes them look nice and gives them protection....others may like the satin look of the vintage series more..Personal perference..

I definitely think the satin finish feels much smoother/silkier than the gloss which like Ronnie Aloha said, is stickier. However I have a hard time playing 'ukes with a satin finish properly, it's as if I baby the instrument too much and I don't want to do hard fast strumming with them. It's definitely a psychological thing there. My cousin has a 4 string tenor Kamaka (made in 1980 or so) and after getting the gloss treatment by the folks at Kamaka a while back, definitely made the instrument stand out. It brought out the curls in the wood and did so without sacrificing the sound (to my ears anyway).

I like the look and feel of gloss but I think I prefer the open sound of satin. I really like the brush-applied finish like Koaloha uses. It looks like varnish, but is not polished to that mirror finish. That would be my choice.

Didn't read your original post before voting. Voted for leaving the satin finish, but if Kamaka is willing to do it and you prefer it, go for the gloss!

Thanks everyone for your replies, I am so nervous that I can't sleep but I have decided to go ahead and have them do it. I am most nervous about not getting it back before I leave the island.

I agree with you Ron, the satin is very silky to the touch and the gloss is stickier. But my tie-breaking factor resulted from the fact that the back of my neck is inexplicably gloss, while the headstock, back, sides and top are all satin so this would make the entire uke more uniform in appearance. Plus, there are a lot if nicks and scratches and I think it will be a bit more protected this way. Plus, just flipping it over to see the glossy portion of the neck compared to the satin headstock was a dramatic difference in the appearance of the wood. I am fortunate enough to have a uke with really nice curl to the koa and want to emphasize it, even if I don't sleep until I get it back.

Fred told me the same thing about how the better players prefer satin, and that music stores make them do gloss because it pops more visually for casual players. I am certainly not good enough for it to make a difference in my sound, and I guess pretty, shiny things attract me.

I had someone tell me it is a question of preference, and that changing from satin is like dating a brunette who when you go out again has dyed their hair blonde...they are the same person but with a slight difference. So I guess this gentlewoman does, in fact, prefer blondes.

Last edited:
The things a crow puts in his nest
They are always things he finds that shine best
Somehow they'll find a shiny dime, a silver twine
From a Valentine
The crows all bring them shiny things (from "Shiny Things" by Tom Waits)

Caw, Caw, Caw! Just call me Crow. Give me gloss any time. I love the pop of grain through gloss. I just wet sanded and polished my Kala Acacia Tenor and it looks very nice. I've never done anything like this before. I can hardly believe I actually did it without fear or trepidation. Well, okay very little fear. It was fun. I'd never try it myself on a Kamaka or any other high end ukulele.

Please post pictures! I'm sure there are plenty of crows around who will want to see it.

Regards,
Ray

Do what your heart tells you to and you will be happy. I personally have no preference with maybe a 50/50 split flat/gloss in 'ukuleles I own.

You don't see too many satin Kamakas. I'd keep it the way it was and try to track down a gloss one just like it. ;)

You're going to love it! Yes, please post pics.

Nice poem Ray.
The poem is verse one of Tom Waits' song "Shiny Things". Great tune and an excellent collection of songs. "Orphans; Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards" Here's the rest of the song. Tom is a true American treasure.

Leave me alone you big ol' Moon
The light you cast is just a liar
You're like the crows, 'cos if it glows
You're dressed to go, you guessed I know
You'll always cling to shiny things

We'll, I'm not dancing here tonight
But things are bound to turn around
Though the only thing I want that shines is to be king
Here in your eyes
To be your only shiny thing

Regards,
Ray

You don't see too many satin Kamakas. I'd keep it the way it was and try to track down a gloss one just like it. ;)

I wish I could but it is just not a possibility. I'm not a lawyer anymore I just own a little travel agency and folks aren't cruising like they used to. I had to promise my spouse no more ukuleles unless I sell one. The Kanile'a has too much sentimental value and I went through too much trouble to get the KoAloha. So this has to be my one and only Kamaka. (She writes in the 42 bus to South Street and the Kamaka factory).

Top Bottom