Homemade Bass Box

lambchop

Reaction score
You know those pedal boards and stomp boxes that they have, where you tap on a wood board to get a deep bass thud that goes along as you play guitar or ukulele - perfect for the higher register of our isntrument, actually. Well, I made one out of a cigar box.

I know people have already thought to do it but I am here to say it works. I don't have a picture, but I'll describe it. It's a nice wood cigar box about three inches or so thick. Probably a 10" x 10" box, or close to that. I stuck a Schatten Dualie undersoundboard pickup under the hinged box top ( a little lower of center), drilled a hole to accomodate the jack it comes with, plugged it in and wow! It really does work.

I got it going into a 100-watt bass amp and I get a really nice deep tone, especially if I tap it just above where the Schatten Dualie is. By the way, I was using the Schatten as a pick up for one of my ukuleles, but found it too sensitive. Think I got it for $40 on Ebay and then another $3 for the box at an upscale market. I would have used a cheaper radio Shack transducer, but I had this Schatten hanging around so I used that. You could make one for probably under $10 or $15 bucks with a cheaper transducer. I mean, all it has to do is reproduce a thud, not like you need anything special.

If I get a chance to take pictures, I'll post, and I will probably write an article about this later for my blog. But this was kind of a fun, ten minute (if that) project that really paid off.

Mike

What Mike is talking about is a foot box, just for a rhythm beat while playing. Been thinking about one also. I have an old tambourine with jangles that I am thinking of putting a pickup in. Mount the whole thing on a carpet covered board. Should make an interesting sound. Plug into an amp for volume and tone control.

I was a little confused by the title. What Mike is talking about is something I've always known as a porchboard. My friend Emily Herring uses one to great affect.

To me a bassbox it this. You can buy one from the link (for way too much money IMNSHO) or you can go online and find the DIY version. Dennis Havlena rocks!

I was a little confused by the title. What Mike is talking about is something I've always known as a porchboard. My friend Emily Herring uses one to great affect.

To me a bassbox it this. You can buy one from the link (for way too much money IMNSHO) or you can go online and find the DIY version. Dennis Havlena rocks!

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I meant the item similar to the Porch Board. Found out last night it is best to use this on a piece of carpet as when it is placed on a hard floor it has a tendancy to pick up clicking from the top of the box and the bottom hitting the floor. Used through my bass amp and struck in the sweetspot, it sounds amazing.

Thats funny, I always called it a Stomp Box. Different strokes I guess...

But that Bass Box! That thing is great!
S.

Man, I may just have to try building a Bass Box....

Thanks, HH!

What is neat is that most listeners actually hear the bass notes "moving" with the vocals. Our brains do work in funny ways sometimes.

What is neat is that most listeners actually hear the bass notes "moving" with the vocals. Our brains do work in funny ways sometimes.
I don't know if it is because I am a bass player, but I do not hear it as bass notes at all, either with my cheapo or with the professional porch boards. To me it sounds like a thud either way. But it would be great if you could hear it as bass notes and maybe some of my listeners will.

S.
You are right, the generic name for what I am talking about is the stomp box - sorry for getting it wrong. The cool one is the wedge shaped one in the Wiki article you referenced. That makes the most sense. Mike

LOL! When I think "stomp box" I think of the little effects pedals that electric guitar players use. (Stomp on a Rat!) You're right, different strokes.

Yeah. It's a little limited but certainly has its uses. I keep saying... one of these days...

Top Bottom