Ukulele Cases

jehicks87

Reaction score
So, I'm getting a case for my custom that's coming up and I'm trying to decide which one.

I've got it narrowed down to three:

Ameritage Silver, $175
Freemont Tweed, $100
Mainland Tweed, $97

Which one? Thanks for the help.

Jake

I've never had one of the one's you've mentioned, but I have a tweed case I really like. It came with my K-Wave, which I bought used. Hard not to like a tweed case!

I have a Freemont Tweed, and a different version of the Mainland tweed (only 2 latches instead of 3). I have seen an Ameritage in person (not sure if it was a Silver one though).
If money were no object, I would get the Ameritage, but I would have to make sure my custom uke fit. I tested out my Kanile'a Super Concert in one, and it didn't fit. The Freemont Tweed (rectangular box) will fit more shapes and unique sizes of ukuleles, but they smell strongly of glue for about a month when they are new. I returned my first one because of a QC problem with the tweed fabric weave. My replacement one was fine though. I know someone else who just got one, and the latches were hard to close on it. If you get a good one, and air it out, it is pretty sturdy. The Mainland-like tweed case I have is very nice. Lighter weight than the Freemont, and very nice looking. Make sure if you choose this one, that your new custom will fit properly. If the Mainland one will fit, this would be the number one choice if money is a concern.
–Lori

I LOVE the Mainland Alligator cases but not the right answer I know. I just like the thought of giving Mike H. of Mainland my business because he and wife Tootka are great people, and UU members. ;)

I agree, and have heard nothing but good things about them. Perhaps for my concert on own the line, but I want the absolute best protection for my custom. I ended up buying the Ameritage. $175 is very expensive, but not nearly so expensive as a broken uke (and thus, a broken heart.)

Once I pay the custom off, I think I'll be done blowing my deployment money, and maybe I'll even start to save some... hehe.

I believe you will love your Ameritage. I have a tenor case, I feel very secure carrying any of my ukes in it.
I have an insert to pad the body of my super concert, all the tenors fit perfect.
I have used it on several flights as well. The only drawback to it is no shoulder straps.
I have considered getting a nylon cover for it with shoulder/backpack straps.
It is a great case and everyone always comments on it. I guess another downside is it is obvious there is a good ukulele inside it.

I keep my PS in an Ameritage Gold case. The thing is built like a rock. It looks like MP ukes have a wide lower bout so I would ask Mike what his dimensions are and see if it will fit.

So, I'm getting a case for my custom that's coming up and I'm trying to decide which one.

I've got it narrowed down to three:

Ameritage Silver, $175
Freemont Tweed, $100
Mainland Tweed, $97

Which one? Thanks for the help.

Jake

I have the Ameritage AME-102 case for my semi-custom Kamaka and can't fault it. The construction is excellent and it protects the uke like nothing else (except Calton cases of course). You can't go wrong with an Ameritage.

John

My only suggestion is to not get a rectangular case. Besides the bulkiness, I've figured out a way to lock an hour-glass shaped case to a solid piece of furniture when I am on vacation.

I use a Master Python cable lock. It is really a bicycle lock, but I bought it to lock up a surfboard with a glassed in fin. Basically you just tighten it around the waist of the case and use a cable with a loop on the end. I can't guarantee it is a fail safe method, but I havent' been able to slip it over the upper or lower bout of the case. I do admit that I have put a couple of grooves on the case from tightening it as much as I could. But I still have my ukulele.

John

I have two of the Ameritage silver cases - a tenor and a concert. I love them and I would not travel with any other case. One downside though is they are heavy but they are built like a rock. They are extremely durable and offer great protection. To get around the lack of shoulder straps, my spouse drilled holes into the top and bottom of them, thrn attached heavy duty d rings. I now just use a leather strap with clips on each end and voilà, instant shoulder strap. They were some of the best purchases I ever made - you won't regret it if you choose Ameritage.

I've never seen a tweed hold up for very long. Good if you want that worn-in look real quick. Ameritage's are built well but they weigh a ton. Kind of defeats the purpose of traveling with a light instrument. Whatever case you decide on, make sure the accessories pocket is big enough to suit you. The biggest thing you need to consider is whether or not you uke will fit into them. Not all cases are made to the same dimensions!

I use the Ameritage Gold Series cases, they come with the "humidity control system." Yes they are expensive, and yes they are a little heavy, but they provide great protection. The Silver Series are also great. Jake.....as long as it fits your uke, i think you will like it.

Jake Maclay
http://www.hiveukuleles.com/

Hi

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Calton cases. They are made in Canada, fiberglass. Heavy, and seriously good. I have three Caltons for my guitars. When you order one for an unusual instrument, you may have to send in a tracing of it. A Martin guitar is fine - they got a template but a less-common guitar, you may have to, and the same for ukuleles, especially if you have a custom one. I have seen Armitage guitar cases, and they are good but Calton is the absolute best (for a guitar).

Last year, I got one made for my Breedlove guitar and it was $850. The guitar was about x10 of the case so I have no regrets.

And, I think Jake uses a bright yelow Calton.

Cheers
Chief

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

Yes, the ameritage will fit the uke, the only dimension that is slightly off is the depth. The uke's depth is 2 15/16" and the case is 2 7/8". One sixteenth of an inch... I'm sure the padding will compress that much.

Chuck and Jake, hope all is well with y'all!

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

Yes, the ameritage will fit the uke, the only dimension that is slightly off is the depth. The uke's depth is 2 15/16" and the case is 2 7/8". One sixteenth of an inch... I'm sure the padding will compress that much.l!

It will. When you put the ukes in, it looks like the case won't close, but it will...the padding is pretty thick but gives.

Note that Fremont cases only fit small bodied ukes!
My Fremont rectangualr will fit vintage Martin's, Kiwaya's, and the smaller bodied LoPrinzi's so far. But it won't fit my Ohana, Larrivee, or Kelii!

I loves me my Mainland tweed. Don't know about the Freemont. Tweed is a real attention grabber for guitarist types. I agree with giving hoosierhiver the biz, too. Good guy, he. That said, my next case from him will be the alligator, just so I know which uke is which w/o opening!

jehicks, where are you getting your custom case from?

Top Bottom