kala releases their line of ukulele amplifiers

MGM

Reaction score
Kala has released their new amplifier line in three new colors Tweed Black and Pink 124.00 list price i guess my hands shook a little blurry lol

here a look:
005-4.jpg

006-3.jpg

Thanks MGM. Is there a new array of Kala ukes coming to your store for back to school season?

Want! But I guess that means that I'll have to go ahead & buy a uke w/a pickup first?

Sooo... is this just an acoustic amp that would work with guitars as well?
Or are there things in the design that make it especially suitable for ukes?

The speaker looks rather small so it may not have the low-frequency end to cover the guitar range. I suspect it's rather designed for ukulele.

On the other hand, seeing how the amp was shaking all over, it probably has millions of Watts of output :)

Cheers
Chief

PS: Can the amp be battery-powered? Or, is it strictly AC 110V?

But that's the thing, small guitar amps don't have much low-frequency anyway.
So is it any different to a typical small guitar amp?

any reviews?

Looks interesting. How big is it actually compared to an ukulele? And how are you supposed to put it on the floor? Does it have a flat bottom, or will it have to come to rest on the handle? And I'm assuming no battery power since there are power cords coming out the back. I suspect the pink one may be a hot seller since this one looks more like a novelty amp, unless it really does make the ukulele sound significantly better than an ordinary acoustic amp.

Don't think the folks at Roland, Ibanez or even Danelectro have anything to worry about here. Does come with legs. The speaker is 5 inches with the overall height 10 inches. Meant to be "an extra boost" sort of amp anyway, which some might enjoy.

BTW, one of the best amps for acoustic electric esp. guitar is the Roland 60 Cube. Yes, the speaker size and cabinet help with low end, as well as the additional headroom. But for something like trad blues nothing beats IMO smaller 10 inch speakers...

Question related to this thread: are smaller speakers better for ukes?

Selling for $99 at Easy Music in Honolulu:

http://www.easymusiccenter.com/2010/06/kala-amp/

Last edited:
My major question with little mini amps is: does it have a decent clean tone with good volume?

On a lot of these amps, the clean tone gets dirty super fast when you turn it up.

Question related to this thread: are smaller speakers better for ukes?

I wouldn't think a small size amp would be better for a uke. It needs to be able to generate tones in the sound range you need, but that doesn't mean smaller is better becaue you have a smaller instrument. The bigger issue for me is whether it has enough power to create clean tones with decent volume. That's much harder to do with small amps that have lower power settings. There are some amps that work better with acoustic instruments though, vs solidbody instruments. They handle feedback better I think and there are probably other differences too. So presumeably the kala is an acoustic mini amp.

I have a Vox DA5 which I love - it can run on AC or regular batteries and has a lot of very good on-board FX like reverb, distortion, delay, and chorus. Fits great in a small rolly dj bag. Love it but whilte it's certainly portable, it ain;t a belt buckle amp either... I like it better than the Roland Cube, though it's possible the Cubes have improved in tonal quality and presence since I was last shopping....

I've been trying to get on the Kala website all day and check it out, but I keep getting errors. Anyone else not getting through?

~DB

Cool amp!

But, is it just me, or does it remind anyone else of Mr. Bill a little bit?

billhead.jpg

Oh noooooooo!!!!!!!

JJ

It looks like the site was down because they have completely reworked it. I really like the new one. Awesome and professional layout.

~DB

Amazing, they look great!

I wouldn't think a small size amp would be better for a uke. It needs to be able to generate tones in the sound range you need, but that doesn't mean smaller is better becaue you have a smaller instrument. The bigger issue for me is whether it has enough power to create clean tones with decent volume. That's much harder to do with small amps that have lower power settings. There are some amps that work better with acoustic instruments though, vs solidbody instruments. They handle feedback better I think and there are probably other differences too. So presumeably the kala is an acoustic mini amp.

I have a Vox DA5 which I love - it can run on AC or regular batteries and has a lot of very good on-board FX like reverb, distortion, delay, and chorus. Fits great in a small rolly dj bag. Love it but whilte it's certainly portable, it ain;t a belt buckle amp either... I like it better than the Roland Cube, though it's possible the Cubes have improved in tonal quality and presence since I was last shopping....

Not thinking of smaller amp (wattage) but speaker size like an optimum speaker size...maybe 10 inches? for uke. For acoustic guitar: Roland 60, nothing lower.

I have an Ibanez Troubador which is OK but may look into the Vox DA5 for a portable.

Top Bottom