A soprano worth saving up for

NatalieS

Reaction score
I need recommendations for a soprano worth saving up for. I love my Lanikai LK-1s but for a while I've been wanting to get a high-end soprano. If I could choose any uke, it'd be a custom Glyph (koa or mango) with some sort of fish inlay in the headstock, but I know that Dave Means is taking a break from building right now.

I really love the old Martin 3M, but seeing as how one costs more than my health insurance, I've been thinking about the Kiwaya KTS-7. Don't get me wrong, $1100 is still reeeeally expensive to me, but I'm looking for an instrument that can last me a lifetime. And I'm planning to save up from now until Christmas.

Does anyone have any recommendations, such as custom builders who make a particularly spectacular soprano, or unique models made by commonly known brands? I'd love to hear your suggestions, thanks!

I own a lot of ukes (surprise!) but if I had to winnow them down to one uke, it'd be my vintage Martin Style 0. It's from the 1960's I believe and is simply amazing. Light yet sturdy, it has a thrilling "crunch" sound to it when strummed. You'll probably be able to find a Style 0 for $400 - 500. Check consignments at guitar stores. That's where I found mine.

You truly can't do any better in sound, IMHO.

Thanks for the recommendation, Alan. I've never seen a vintage Martin in person, but they've long fascinated me in pictures and on YouTube. My weakness (please don't shoot!) is for a more decorated uke. I'm not saying there's anything dull about the style O, by any means, but I tend to gravitate towards ukes with binding, purfling, etc. Maybe if I saw a Martin in person, this would change my viewpoint. :)

Okay, I'm not the one to recommend anything to you. I'm all about the sound. Style 0s are elegantly crafted, but not much to look at.

Check out Peter Hurney and his custom built Pohaku ukes. I know he is across the country from where you live, but I have played a couple of his ukes, and they look and sound amazing! He does all custom builds and I hear he is pretty reasonable on price considering he builds everything custom. I think he is one of the most underrated custom builders out there. If I were going to get a custom uke, I would go to him.....or Chuck Moore at Morre Bettah!

Here is the Pohaku website. Check out the ukes he has built already!
http://www.pohakuukulele.com/

I really like the Kamaka deluxe soprano. Super classy.

Chuck Moore could definitely build you exactly what you want, with the inlay you want. It'll probably be $2000, but totally worth it.

Mya-Moé and Maui Music both make great sopranos in koa or mango, and even the standard models are distinctive-looking.

I'm also impressed by Mike Pereira's ukes, especially after seeing pictures of jehicks87's custom on the way. MP is also among the most affordable custom builders. I've never played one of his ukes but the general consensus is that they're fantastic and a great value.

Chuck Moore could definitely build you exactly what you want, with the inlay you want. It'll probably be $2000, but totally worth it.

If you got one of his NSB soprano ukes it would be $1550, it would sound amazing and still a really pretty uke to look at. Then you could add on a few special touches, might get closer to $2000. My vote will always be a Moore Bettah if you can swing it.

I have wanted a nice Kamaka Pineapple for some time now. Since they created that shape.

You could see what Shawn over at ukulelefriend.com has around, he gets a bunch of ukes from good builders on the islands.

MP does great work, but I haven't played a soprano. The Jumping Flea has one, so you might check with him.

Boat paddle ukes, DaSilva, and others come to mind as well.

Jake

There are a few nice ukes at fleamarket. William King would be my choice, or the vintage koa Martin Style 1.

LoPrinzi's are nice and reasonably priced. I've liked or loved every LoPrinzi I've ever played except for one - and I've played a lot of them. If I was having one custom made, I'd ask them to make one with a small size body like a vintage Martin body. LoPrinzi's like these are very powerful instruments with lots of resonance in my experience.
I especailly like their spruce top ukes. I also like their gloss finishes a lot.

Anyway, real nice ukes!

Yes, if I were having a soprano custom made, I'd get a LoPrinzi... or maybe a Zimnicki... never playe one of those, but I'm curious about 'em.

By the way, do your like string tension high or low? I've noted that Pohaku's and DaSilva sopranos have quite a high string tension in spite of having low action, whihc can make them a little harder to play than other ukes if you're not used to it. Just something to be aware of when ordering a uke is to ask about string tension, not just the action! LoPrinzi's tend to have a relatively low string tension, and Ernest Instruments seem to have a medium string tension, in my experience.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say, I forgot to mention Chuck Moore of Moore Bettah. He does OUTSTANDING work. Also, I have heard many good things about LoPrinzi sopranos.

I'd like to second LoMa, Loprinzi ukes are absolutely amazing, and cost less than any other stuff in their league. I've got a spruce top soprano and it is so comfortable to play and has amazing projection.

... though since i have, and love, a loprinzi, my dream uke is a Da Silva Santos reproduction like john king had.

Holy cow, I have a lot of ukes to research! You guys are awesome :)

I think Moore Bettah is the penultimate uke, but I don't think I could justify the cost. Maybe something more like $800-1000. And it's going to take a looong time to save up. I've been a student forever, it seems. :)

The William King sopranos I've seen on FMM are absolutely gorgeous. I love the bridge pins!

When I looked at the thread title I was thinking Kiwaya KTS-7, too, but then I have been heavily UAS haunted by one of those for quite some time now. Having read the whole thread, I am still thinking that (someday...someday...), but I would love to play anything that has been suggested, too.

Myamoe instruments are available at a good price.

Last edited:
scott wise makes a soprano maybe worth checking out. i've not played one, but i've heard good things about them. the music emporium (boston) has one. i was on the lookout for a good soprano too, but i had a chance to buy a moore bettah concert a few months ago, and now i've lost interest in everything else... including playing guitar and going to work. chuck moore makes a "style 1" soprano that looks really nice w/14 frets clear.

If you check out the Loprinzi site, it's a great eye-candy experience to see all the possible variations. I think they would be the best value in a uke with a lot of bling. You can get quite a bit for $1200! I have a plain mahogany soprano, it has a great deal of punch to the sound. Sounds best with genuine gut strings.

Still, my favorite would be Ko'olau. Their model 100 would be in your price range (model 1 is what I have, but it's plain), and has an abalone rosette. If you want to save more the sky is the limit. Anyway, the sound is superb.

Don't forget Koaloha - their soprano is very good, and if you check out their special order page you can choose from lots of variations. They don't normally do a lot of fancy stuff but maybe they could be talked into it. I wouldn't mind ordering their soprano in all koa (with 15 frets to the body option and ebony fingerboard?)

Top Bottom