Aquila... New Nylgut and Bionylon

70sSanO

Reaction score
There is a Ken Middleton youtube where he compares Aquila Nylgut to Aquila Bionylon.

In the comments Ken states that there are "new" Nylguts that are smoother. This seems consistent with what I've heard.

On the Aquila site they list both Nylgut and Bionylon. So I guess Bionylon is a brand new string.

So in the youtube does anyone know if the comparison between new Nylgut and new Bionylon? Or the old Nylgut to Bionylon?

Just wondering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4ILpHArVKw

Thanks!

John

Ken is a UU member. Perhaps the easiest thing to do would be to ask him....

I'm kinda thinking that may be part of his survey...

... if you like the tuner, it is a new string, and if you like the without tuner is also a new string.

This is just a guess. I am hoping this is the case because everyone wins.

John

I have let Ken know about this post, hopefully he can assist you with your questions.

There is a Ken Middleton youtube where he compares Aquila Nylgut to Aquila Bionylon.

In the comments Ken states that there are "new" Nylguts that are smoother. This seems consistent with what I've heard.

On the Aquila site they list both Nylgut and Bionylon. So I guess Bionylon is a brand new string.

So in the youtube does anyone know if the comparison between new Nylgut and new Bionylon? Or the old Nylgut to Bionylon?

Just wondering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4ILpHArVKw

Thanks!

John

On one uke there were the original Nylgut strings. On the other uke are Bionylon strings, which are still under test and not commercially available yet.

There is almost no difference in sound between the old Nylgut and the new ones. The main difference is the feel of them. The main difference in sound is the noise your fingers make when they move over the strings. The newer ones are less noisy.

Ken is a UU member. Perhaps the easiest thing to do would be to ask him....

I completely misunderstood your original question, as I had not looked at the link you provided. I still think Ken could answer your question without spoiling his survey. Come to think of it, he mentions in his comments that the new Nylguts are not yet available. I'm guessing the comparison video pits the original Nylguts against the new Bionylons....

I completely misunderstood your original question, as I had not looked at the link you provided. I still think Ken could answer your question without spoiling his survey. Come to think of it, he mentions in his comments that the new Nylguts are not yet available. I'm guessing the comparison video pits the original Nylguts against the new Bionylons....

The new Nylgut strings are available. Any dealer who has ordered stock recently from Aquila will have the new Nylguts.

On one uke there were the original Nylgut strings. On the other uke are Bionylon strings, which are still under test and not commercially available yet.

There is almost no difference in sound between the old Nylgut and the new ones. The main difference is the feel of them. The main difference in sound is the noise your fingers make when they move over the strings. The newer ones are less noisy.

I restrung my baritone with D'Addario's last week. I couldn't stand the squeeking noise when fingerpicking the unwound strings. I ordered 3 sets of the Aquila Nylgut strings and the uke sounds great again. I've been very impressed by all of the Aquilas I've used in the past.

Aloha Ken,
my opinion, the one with the tuner sounds fuller....I believe it's the Nylguts.....
am I correct???HMMMM MM Stan....

Ken,

Thanks for your reply.

On the new Aquila Nylguts, is the tension is the same as the old ones?

Also, is the tension on the Bionylon similar to the nylguts?

My tenors are 18 inch scale and the current Nylguts are right on the edge of having too much tension.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

And thank you for putting together your survey.

Based on what Mimmo first indicated about the new Nylguts, and your comments, I think the Bionylon are on the ukulele without the tuner.

John

Ken,

Thanks for your reply.

On the new Aquila Nylguts, is the tension is the same as the old ones?

Also, is the tension on the Bionylon similar to the nylguts?

My tenors are 18 inch scale and the current Nylguts are right on the edge of having too much tension.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

And thank you for putting together your survey.

Based on what Mimmo first indicated about the new Nylguts, and your comments, I think the Bionylon are on the ukulele without the tuner.

John

The answer to the first question is yes. The tension of the bionylon feels about the same, but I could be wrong. I spoke to Mimmo today about them, but he did not give me the tech spec. They will be available in 1-2 months.

If they feel too tight, why not tune to Bb tuning? When you are playing on your own it would make no difference. If you play with others, just put a capo on the second fret. Shubb are currently developing a new dedicated ukulele capo.

Ken,

Thanks for the information!

That's a good suggestion and one I used to do. The older old Nylguts were really high tension, so I used Worth Brown Strong tuned to Bb for a few years. Very comfortable and sounded nice. When I tuned the Worths to C, I just didn't care for the sound.

My voice isn't what it used to be and I found myself transposing which was easy because if I dropped it a full step I just played the chords. Pretty soon I got used to playing out of key so to speak. Then real transposing to other keys became just too much effort. And I didn't care for a capo.

So I tried the Aquilas and tuned to C, liked the sound, and got my fingers a little tougher and here I am.

I was just a little concerned if the new Aquilas had higher tension than the old.

Thanks again!

John

Top Bottom