My new Koaloha Grad Gift

funkycarnivore

Reaction score
Hey folks,
Last week, I finished up my second Master's Degree. Since I've spent 25 years of my life as a student, my family and friends don't really celebrate my graduations anymore. But I do! Thanks to Fleamarket Music, I found myself a nice deal on a lightly used Koaloha tenor. It arrived today and here it is:
koaloha.jpg

And here it is with my original Pono tenor:
ukes02.jpg

I can definitely hear the difference in tone. The Koaloha is louder and more "open" sounding--maybe because of the lighter finish? Also, it seems like the neck on the Koaloha is slightly wider. I also like the rounder look; as a rather rotund individual, I feel like the body style matches MY body style. Anyway, I still love 'em both.

Last edited:
Beautiful! Congratulations on your new uke. What did you get your Master's degrees in Funkycarnivore?

Thanks! My first degree was in Divinity/Church History, and I just finished a Master of Social Work degree. I'm done with school for real this time.

Two beautiful ukes. Will we we see another video soon with your new uke? Congrats on your degrees.

Thanks! My first degree was in Divinity/Church History, and I just finished a Master of Social Work degree. I'm done with school for real this time.

Not one but TWO masters degrees. That's awesome. I'm looking forward to being free after just ONE MBA, and I only start 4 year college this fall...and 4 years already seems like an insanely long time. I guess I'll be out when I'm 24. :rofl:

(How is that a ROFL smiley? It seems to be more in pain than laughing.)

Not one but TWO masters degrees. That's awesome. I'm looking forward to being free after just ONE MBA, and I only start 4 year college this fall...and 4 years already seems like an insanely long time. I guess I'll be out when I'm 24. :rofl:

(How is that a ROFL smiley? It seems to be more in pain than laughing.)

Haha. You know, it's really not. If school is your "thing", you'll find that the time goes by really quickly. If it's not--then, yeah, it might seem a little crazy. But the one thing I always suggest to my friends is to take school in smaller bits of time. Four years might seem like a long time, but if you can just look at it day by day, it doesn't seem so bad. As long as you keep going to class and turning things in, eventually they'll let you graduate. Best of luck with school--your business degree will allow you to buy all kinds of killer ukes!

I hope MGM has some Koaloha concerts around the first week of December. I know what I'm getting for Christmas. Seriously, I love Koalohas, and I seriously can't see myself wanting more ukes when my own uke triangle is complete.

You got yourself a beauty!

funkycarnivore,

are you going to seminary (well technically not any more with the whole graduation thing)? i just recently graduated from College and was looking at seminaries and i figured the whole MDiv thing.

alright thats me being nosey

Yeah, I finished seminary in 2004 (Claremont). I loved it and thought it was a great experience. Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any questions.

i cant see the pics, but i know what it looks like, cuz im holding mine!:D

Top Bottom