PDA

View Full Version : muting the uke?

jnz
07-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Hi i've got a makala mk-sn and i was wondering if anyone has tried to lower the volume of their uke? It seems like most people here want to increase the vol of their uke, not lower it. But i'm sharing my room with someone else so what's the best way to keep the volume down to keep from annoying others?? by the way i'm a student so its kinda tight budget wise.

itsme
07-20-2010, 08:03 PM
You can insert a rolled up washcloth or a piece of sponge under the strings near the bridge.

mealfrog41
07-20-2010, 08:41 PM
You can try a palm muting technique, where you lay the fleshy part of your hand on the bringe to dampen the string vibration. Vary your hand position to the desired level of muting, it can be pretty subtle or completely deadening depending on the placement and pressure.

mailman
07-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Use a washcloth, as suggested earlier, and stuff it in the sound hole. Instant mute, cheap....

redBee
07-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Hi,

Here in Japan people are very sensitive about noise and neighbors so there are some products that help make the uke less loud.
They usually are a piece of foam or rubber that can be clipped onto the strings, making them vibrate less, like this one :
http://1484.bz/ochanomizu/list/image/68/03-680025800/1.jpg
It says it can be used with a plethora of stringed instruments like guitars, banjos, mandolins, ukes, etc etc.

I have one of those and it is OK (It doesn't mute it completely though).

You can also take a velcro tape and to do the same thing.
* Of course, it won't sound wonderful, but I guess at least you won't be bothering anyone right?

bazmaz
08-02-2010, 01:01 AM
narrow strip of thick paper or card woven under and over the strings and pushed right down to the bridge saddle.

This trick is used by south african electric guitar players to give them that signature biting zero sustain sound you get in SA music