Low-G Fremont too Boomy....

rasputinsghost

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I currently have my Mainland mahog tenor strung up with a Low G string (a fremont clear) paired with Worth clears on the other strings. I love it but it's waaaay too boomy to the point it drowns out the other strings. What other brand of low-g string would go well with Worth clears?

Thanks.

I do not think this is particularly a "make of Uke" thing, though some may suffer from it more than others. I have just strung up my second tenor with the re entrant tuning and am having second thoughts about the value and sound of a low G tuning. Of course having two tenors i will have a choice of what I play, but only time will tell as to which instrument (tuning) I will choose mostly.

One thing i have to say, from a position of "physics" ignorance; Though i have bought specific "low G " strings, they do not "feel right" or for that matter sound right, be they wound or not wound. I am almost ready to experiment with some guitar strings or fishing line.
So, all in all, I think i am tending to agree with you.

Just as a sort of PS. I just wonder if it is because i come from a guitar background and i am expecting more guitar like response from it.

Worth makes a low g that might go well with Worths. I'm currently using Worth clears with a Savarez C string tuned down to g. I was given a set of Worth high g but have always played low so I'm trying this set up for now. I think it's working. Did my uke sound boomy on the jam last night Rasputinsghost? It was nice meeting you on the jam last night.

Worth makes a low g that might go well with Worths. I'm currently using Worth clears with a Savarez C string tuned down to g. I was given a set of Worth high g but have always played low so I'm trying this set up for now. I think it's working. Did my uke sound boomy on the jam last night Rasputinsghost? It was nice meeting you on the jam last night.

I'm only asking because I don't want to tell you, "it takes time and you gat use to it. You might find you naturally adjust the way you attack the strings to get a more balanced sound.", if I'm booming myself. I don't have a ton of experience playing so I really don't know what I'm talking about.

The wound low G on my Kala tenor is quite boomy if I don't watch how hard I hit it. I also put a set of Aquilas on a baritone (DGBE) I made from a kids guitar. I futzed around with a nylon (non wound) low string on that, but it was just too dead for my taste. I finally had to go back to a wound, which is boomy if I don't watch how hard I hit it.

The wound low G on my Kala tenor is quite boomy if I don't watch how hard I hit it. I also put a set of Aquilas on a baritone (DGBE) I made from a kids guitar. I futzed around with a nylon (non wound) low string on that, but it was just too dead for my taste. I finally had to go back to a wound, which is boomy if I don't watch how hard I hit it.

I think touch is the key, my super concert is my low "G" uke.
Being a smaller box it is not as boomy as a tenor, but if I hit it too hard it does overpower the sound.
Some of what we think is boomy may be just the difference between the high and low tunings.

I go between high G and low G a lot. When I first started playing the low G, I got that unbalanced sound too. Like the others said, it requires a lighter touch on that string. Eventually, you will be able to do it without thinking about it, and still switch to high G ukes. Keep it on for a few weeks, so you can reprogram your brain for this variation. It is worth it.
–Lori

It's interesting that there has been so much low g discussion going on recently. I put a set of Fremont Low G on a Kala spruce top travel tenor and if I take it off of my body and allow the back to vibrate, the instrument gets too boomy, though the set is well balanced. Worth has Low G sets, but I do not think you can buy a single Worth low G single string. I've tried low g on other instruments before and did not like it, but this time I've found a good combination and will keep it strung low g.
Regards,
Ray

I've found wound low g to be a bit overpowering and I don't really care for the noise it makes as you move up and down the string. Currently, I'm using a Worth brown low g that I had from a set with Koolau golds for the rest of the strings on a Pono Koa Tenor. The Worth low g is not as "boomy", but does feel a little slacker than the other strings.

First, welcome everyone to the low g support group, LOL.

Speaking of wound low g options, I think boominess comes from 2 sources: the uke you choose and the other 3 strings. I think playing style and the need to make adjustments goes without saying.

Wound g (D'Addario) on my LU-21TE has worked out very nicely. Why? First the uke is a nato lam. The spruce top I have broadcasts that wound low g along with the mahog lam sides. With Aquilas (Nylguts) and that D'Addario the loud yet brighter contrast wasn't working out for me even on my beloved LU-21TE. I switched to Hilo tenors (considered crap strings by a lot of people but I love them).. The balance is great.

It's arguable that "better" solid wood tops can be more difficult to balance out because they are more responsive. The tenor body I read resonates around F#/G???

I have to say that even when I hit that wound g pretty hard on the LU-21T not too bad, but playing a wound g on the spruce top, at least mine, for me, no thanks...for now.

Sure you have to be more careful to balance things out. That goes with the territory.

Last edited:
Worth has Low G sets, but I do not think you can buy a single Worth low G single string. I've tried low g on other instruments before and did not like it, but this time I've found a good combination and will keep it strung low g.
Regards,
Ray

Try UkuleleWorld.com for a set of 4 Low G only strings. They seem to be on close-out sale. B is for Browns, and C is for Clear. Not sure what the other letters mean.
http://www.ukuleleworld.com/worth-tenor-low-g-4th-string-only-4-variations-available.html
http://www.ukuleleworld.com/product.php?productid=19567&cat=7&page=1
http://www.ukuleleworld.com/product.php?productid=19570&cat=7&page=1
–Lori

Thanks Lori. The middle link is "Out of Stock".

Regards,
Ray
I must of gotten close to the last ones... I ordered 3 sets of that one, and one each of the other sets. Once I saw the sale, I couldn't resist. Thanks to this thread for making me visit their site and discovering the sale!
–Lori

Top Bottom