PDA

View Full Version : What is it with you ukers?!?!?!?!?!?!?

jacothedog
07-21-2010, 01:59 PM
I am a bassist who took up guitar who took up ukulele. I subscribe to the top bass forum, top acoustic guitar forum and now here.

Why is it that you ukers are the most "hip" group?

Let me say that I'm not kissing your butts here, I just see a lot more tabs for alternative, indie and obscure music. It seems like the majority of bassists follow the craziest players who can acrobatically attack a bass. The guitarists have a majority that seem to follow Dylan, the Dead, someone I can't mention, and very traditional music. Here - it's all over the place and the most diverse by far.

I'm also not knocking the other groups. I just wonder why it is how it is.

Arashi
07-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Ukulele came from Hawaii and whoever plays it has a little Aloha in them. I like to think Ukulele Underground as Hawaii on the internet. Plus you can play almost any genre on the ukulele :)

ukecantdothat
07-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Ukulele came from Hawaii and whoever plays it has a little Aloha in them. I like to think Ukulele Underground as Hawaii on the internet. Plus you can play almost any genre on the ukulele :)

Point taken, but the ukulele has its origins in Portugal. It did get its name in Hawaii, though, so that's good enough for me! I think the reason we're so friggin' "hip" is beacause of the diversity. Ukers come in all shapes, sizes, and especially, genders. Not that there are no women who can wail on a guitar or bass, but it's still fairly uncommon, especially in the Corporate Rock World. Ukes are easier on the hands, fingers, back, ears, etc. Plus, and again I'm generalizing, there are SO many posers with guitars and basses that it's hard to weed them out. It's hard being a guitar player in a world filled to the saturation point with 'em. I still play, but the uke is taking over (mainly because the gigs were drying up, and now I'm in a band with no guitars and I... kinda... dig it.). I went to a few guitar forums and couldn't take it - the attitude, that is. Again - generalizing. There is wisdom to be found for sure, but this place is far more entertaining in the process of finding what you're after!

My 2 cents! :nana:

cletus
07-21-2010, 03:05 PM

It's "hep", youngster!

telebob
07-21-2010, 03:43 PM
I think the reason we're so friggin' "hip" is because of the diversity. Ukers come in all shapes, sizes, and especially, genders.

Nailed it: diversity! and because of that, the uke is not tied to any one specific musical genre.

70sSanO
07-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Interesting question... I don't know.

There is just something about a ukulele that strips away all of the pretenses you find elsewhere so people can just be themselves.

John

ukecantdothat
07-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Nailed it: diversity! and because of that, the uke is not tied to any one specific musical genre.Yeah, not that the guitar is tied to one style of music, but the forums I saw tend to gravitate to electric rock and blues. But then there are the acoustic / blues / bluegrass sites. Guess you have to find the right subset. Interesting question, though. Are ukers really all that hip (hep), or is it just that we tend to all feel so relaxed and sun-soaked that the pretense just fades away like a sunset on a Maui beach? Oh, man... A sunsett on a Maui beach is sure sounding about right...

:nana:

SuzukHammer
07-21-2010, 04:27 PM
This site seems to have active members. And they seem very helpful. That was my first impression. I didn't come from a guitar background but as I was searching for ukulele information (chord progressions), I found a few sites that were ...... nevermind.

I'm glad I found this site. I learn just about enough everyday. As a new ukulele person, this site seems to be a perfect fit. Still lots of material I need to browse over.

itsme
07-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Are ukers really all that hip (hep), or is it just that we tend to all feel so relaxed and sun-soaked that the pretense just fades away like a sunset on a Maui beach?
My background is as a classical guitarist. Many CGers are kind of snobbish about how you've gotta own a "decent" (read: $1,000+ instrument), how you have to read standard notation, and if you don't take formal lessons (which can be $50/hour or more) you're not a serious player.

With ukers, it's much more of a DIY (do-it-yourself) movement. Have fun, play whatever you like. :) Most are basically self-taught (other than availing themselves of all the great instructional vids and material on the net these days) and there's virtually no snobbery.

beergeek
07-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Nailed it: diversity! and because of that, the uke is not tied to any one specific musical genre.

Yep....that's it. Regardless of what you play, it's you and the ukulele. Can't be more honest than that. An ukulele is a guitar on steroids without the steroid rage ;)

uke5417
07-21-2010, 08:15 PM
I wonder if there isn't some sort of natural dialectic going on with the shifting popularity of instruments. Guitars are at the top of the bell curve right now, but all the interesting stuff seems to be going on in ukulele outlier land. I wonder if back in the '20s when ukuleles were at the top of the curve, the most interesting stuff was going on in guitar outlier land. Mmmm. If the ukulele gets too cool, should I pull out my concertina?

Bratset
07-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Diversity!
The keyword :D:D
And uke is just simply awesome making everyone who lpays it awesome :P

salukulady
07-21-2010, 09:46 PM
That darn little instrument has radically changed my life in the last 2+ years. There's just something about it.....

We must blame Aldrine, Ryan and Aaron for some of this. We all know uke sites that are not as inviting as UU. Those wonderful guys set the tone here and keep us open and fair to all. Snobbery and exclusiveness are just not tolerated here. All ages, genders backgrounds and any type of music is welcome. Those three guys are some special peeps.

ogeva
07-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Hey! I have to go in guitar's defense.
I have been a guitar player for 25 years, only 2 or 3 months uker.
You can't say the guitar is not diverse.
Besides electric rock and blues and country and bluegrass there's so much more a guitar can do.
Classical is one way to go. I have been focusing on classical guitar playing for the past few years, and it's awesome. And it's diverse in itself - think guitar concertos, solo spanish romantic, baroque lute dances, modern 20th century - it's all very different within the classical genre, maybe more different than rock/folk/country.
What about jazz? solo chord-melody, or with a group, or fusion with rock? Or comping in a big band?
What about flamenco? Spanish gypsy flamenco, or the south american Indian fused alternatives. Reggae? Ska? experimental psychedelic music?
Its a vast world of music variation available for guitar.

On the other hand, ukulele is fun. Yeah, I love playing guitar. I won't "switch" and be a ukulele only player (at least, I can't see that happening right now). But a uke is simply fun. It's easier to play, making you focus on the fun and musicality, rather than on technique. It's very easy to learn basic chords and be playing in 10 minutes after getting your first uke.
It has fewer options than guitar, so while easy to start, in order to make exceptional stuff, you really need to be inventive. And it inspires fun.
Fun people are cool. I think that's about it.

Raygf
07-21-2010, 10:37 PM
It's "hep", youngster!
:biglaugh:

You forgot the :cool: icon. "Snap!" (with the fingers, not spoken) You "dig"?

I need some coffee.

Later,
Ray

Raygf
07-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Point taken, but the ukulele has its origins in Portugal. It did get its name in Hawaii, though, so that's good enough for me! I think the reason we're so friggin' "hip" is beacause of the diversity. Ukes are easier on the hands, fingers, back, ears, etc. There is wisdom to be found for sure, but this place is far more entertaining in the process of finding what you're after!
My 2 cents! :nana:

True, the Madeirans took their machete with them everywhere, but the ukulele got more than it's name in Hawaii. First, it was subjected to a complete makeover: constructed of native Hawaiian koa wood instead of the traditional til and pine, given a revamped tuning, a different repertoire and a new name. Secondly, troupes of Hawaiian performers with ‘ukuleles fanned out across America, performing at world’s fairs, chautauquas and vaudevilles, making names for themselves and generating a lot of interest in Hawai‘i, Hawaiian music and culture. Thirdly, when the seventeen million visitors who attended the Panama-Pacific International Exposition in San Francisco in 1915 went crazy for Hawaiian music and the ‘ukulele, the event sparked a nationwide mania for the instrument that didn’t subside until the Great Depression. (excerpt from John King's article.) http://www.nalu-music.com/category/history/ The my dog has fleas tuning came from another Portugese instrument, the rajao, a five string guitar.

I think diversity of age coupled with the Aloha Spirit has a great deal to do with it. Most ukulele players I've met appreciate a broader range of other players even if they don't play/like/listen to particular genres of music . I know that's a generalization, but generalizations hold some truth.

And it is "hep":cool: youngster!

Regards,
Ray

ichadwick
07-22-2010, 01:09 AM
I just see a lot more tabs for alternative, indie and obscure music.
I think ukers are always looking for pieces that both show off the capabilities of their instruments, and take a different path from what other musicians have followed, at least one not so heavily trodden. As a former guitarist, I play a lot of the same music I played on the guitar, but always look for a way to alter it on the uke - changes in pacing, rhythm, even chord changes.

As for obscure: it might be grist for the mill here. What's obscure for one group may be commonplace for another. How many pop songs for the saz or oud or sitar are you familiar with?

ichadwick
07-22-2010, 01:17 AM
...but the ukulele has its origins in Portugal.
Depends on how far back you want to go. The instrument descends from the guitar family (with the lute in the family tree). Although Spain is usually cited as the guitar's place of origin, you can trace the guitar back through to the oud and similar Arabic stringed instruments. From Wikipedia:
The modern word "guitar", and its antecedents, have been applied to a wide variety of cordophones since ancient times and as such is the cause of confusion. The English word "guitar", the German "gitarre", and the French "guitare", were adopted from the Spanish guitarra,[4] which comes from the Andalusian Arabic qitara قيثارةر [5] itself derived from the Latin word cithara, which in turn came from the earlier Greek word kithara (κιθάρα),[6] a descendant of Old Persian sihtar ( سی تار) (Tar means string in Persian).[7]

Although the word guitar is descended from the Roman word cithara, the modern guitar itself is not generally believed to have descended from the roman instrument. Many influences are cited as antecedents to the modern guitar. One commonly cited influence is of the arrival of the four-string oud, which was introduced by the invading Moors in the 8th century.[8] Another suggested influence is the six-string Scandinavian lut (lute), which gained in popularity in areas of Viking incursions across medieval Europe. Often depicted in carvings c. 800 AD, the Norse hero Gunther (also known as Gunnar), played a lute with his toes as he lay dying in a snake-pit, in the legend of Siegfried.[9] It is likely that a combination of influences led to the creation of the guitar; plucked instruments from across the Mediterranean and Europe were well known in Iberia since antiquity.

Two four string medieval instruments that were called "guitars" (but weren't in the modern sense) were in use by 1200: the guitarra moresca (Moorish guitar) and the guitarra latina (Latin guitar). The guitarra moresca, though not Moorish, shows Moorish influences; it had a rounded back, wide fingerboard, and several soundholes. The guitarra latina had a single soundhole and a narrower neck.[10] By the 14th century the qualifiers "moresca" and "latina" had largely been dropped and these two four course cordophones were usually simply referred to as guitars.[11]

The Spanish vihuela or (in Italian) "viola da mano", a guitar-like instrument of the 15th and 16th centuries, is widely considered to have been a seminal influence in the development of the guitar. It had six courses (usually), lute-like tuning in fourths and a guitar-like body, although early representations reveal an instrument with a sharply cut waist. It was also larger than the contemporary four course guitars. By the late 15th century some vihuelas were played with a bow, leading to the development of the viol. By the sixteenth century the vihuela's construction had more in common with the modern guitar, with its curved one-piece ribs, than with the viols, and more like a larger version of the contemporary four-course guitars. The vihuela enjoyed only a short period of popularity in Spain and Italy during an era dominated elsewhere in Europe by the lute; the last surviving published music for the instrument appeared in 1576. Meanwhile the five-course baroque guitar, which was documented in Spain from the middle of the 16th century, enjoyed popularity, especially in Spain, Italy and France from the late 16th century to the mid 18th century.[12][13] Confusingly, in Portugal, the word vihuela referred to the guitar, whereas guitarra meant the "Portuguese guitar", a variety of cittern.

We're very quick to distinguish our beloved ukes from the guitar, but they're still family.

Ukulele JJ
07-22-2010, 01:30 AM
And maybe some of it might be the motivation behind the typical person learning/playing the uke and the typical guitarist learning/playing guitar.

I'm generalizing, of course, but you don't hear of too many people picking up a uke in order to "get chicks." :-) There's this whole macho/ego/jukebox-hero thing that I see in guitarists sometime that I rarely see in ukeists. People tend to play the uke to have fun and enjoy music--not so much to impress people. It's a humble instrument, and perhaps requires a bit more humility out of the player.

In other words, it's just plain harder to be an @#$%!*! when you're playing the ukulele. :-)

JJ

Pinebaron
07-22-2010, 01:35 AM
I think the uke gives people a more Jimmy Buffet outlook on life. For me ukes are fun. Its a form of musical escapism from the often dark and dreary world we live it. I keep a uke under my desk in case of emergency.

cjensen91910
07-22-2010, 02:06 AM
This is a whole lot of talk on a very simple fact,, it's hard to play the Uke without smiling and it's hard to be a snob or ego when you pull your axe out of a toe sack to play at the beach!!!

jehicks87
07-22-2010, 02:59 AM
the reason being the sound. The ukulele sounds so good on different types of music. Also, anyone who is drawn to the ukulele (any non-hawaiian, that is) is generally the personality that will be drawn to ecclecticism in the other areas of their life. That's my experience.

jacothedog
07-22-2010, 04:37 AM
Hey! I have to go in guitar's defense.
I have been a guitar player for 25 years, only 2 or 3 months uker.
You can't say the guitar is not diverse.

That wasn't what I was saying at all. The guitar is one of the most diverse instruments one can play - and I agree with your entire post. I was comparing the tendencies of those who inhabit the most popular forums for bass / acoustic guitar / ukulele.

jacothedog
07-22-2010, 04:39 AM
I think the uke gives people a more Jimmy Buffet outlook on life. For me ukes are fun. Its a form of musical escapism from the often dark and dreary world we live it. I keep a uke under my desk in case of emergency.

Well, now you've done it.

salukulady
07-22-2010, 05:13 AM
I think the uke gives people a more Jimmy Buffet outlook on life. For me ukes are fun. Its a form of musical escapism from the often dark and dreary world we live it. I keep a uke under my desk in case of emergency.excuse me....it's Buffett, not Buffet......:D

farmerboy
07-22-2010, 05:16 AM
Bass makes you frown (in a funky kind a groovey way)
Guitar makes you stare (in a too many strings for too few fingers way)
Uke makes you smile.

UncleElvis
07-22-2010, 05:24 AM
There's also the ridiculousness of the instrument itself.

It's a tiny guitar. That is intrinsically funny. Throw in the "It's a toy" perception of it and...

well, it takes a special person to pick one up and WANT to play it, knowing how it's gonna look.

Joe H
07-22-2010, 05:25 AM
If the ukulele gets too cool, should I pull out my concertina?

Just the other day I was thinking about learning the concertina.

It seems to me that most people take up the uke on a whim. So they go into without that self important attitude some gutarists have, and that frees them up to try all kinds of things on the uke.

kissing
07-22-2010, 05:42 AM
You all got it wrong.
It's because of a disease called UAS.

salukulady
07-22-2010, 05:47 AM
I lent a uke to a guitar player......he brought it back and said, "Wow, I thought it was just a toy." and went out and bought one.

thisnthat
07-22-2010, 05:48 AM
With ukers, it's much more of a DIY (do-it-yourself) movement. Have fun, play whatever you like. :) Most are basically self-taught (other than availing themselves of all the great instructional vids and material on the net these days)
I think this is a lot to do with it. We're all out there finding our own style.
If I was going to learn guitar I would want to learn music I'd already heard and loved for the guitar sound. I'd have certain expectations on what I could achieve.
With the ukulele I knew next to nothing about the instrument when I started and I basically just try stuff out and see what it sounds like. I have no set "should be playing this way, or in this style" influencing me.

SweetWaterBlue
07-22-2010, 05:50 AM
Its hard to be a macho poser when you are holding a ukulele, even a baritone.

RevWill
07-22-2010, 05:56 AM
The guitar is my first love and a wonderful instrument but I have to admit there is baggage that goes along with the instrument. There is the whole guitar-as-phallic-symbol thing, as well as competitiveness between players (the pinnacle of that attitude forms the climax of the move Crossroads - the Ralph Macchio one, not the Britney Spears one).

I find no such competitive baggage with the uke. None. No "that was good but Jake could do it better," or "Victoria Vox blows other uke based songwriters out of the freakin' WATER, man!" The most technically skilled uke players love sitting in with rank beginners. There's just an air of encouragement and collaboration with the uke, probably because the guitar cliches don't apply.

It also hearkens back to the days before radio and tv dominated our living rooms. People used to make music together in their homes. We can all probably name a family or two we know who were like that - everyone plays an instrument or two or three, and if you get 'em together it's a show.

jacothedog
07-22-2010, 06:09 AM
excuse me....it's Buffett, not Buffet......:D

My poor thread is being polluted...........

ukecantdothat
07-22-2010, 06:25 AM
True, the Madeirans took their machete with them everywhere, but the ukulele got more than it's name in Hawaii. First, it was subjected to a complete makeover: constructed of native Hawaiian koa wood instead of the traditional til and pine, given a revamped tuning, a different repertoire and a new name. Secondly, troupes of Hawaiian performers with ‘ukuleles fanned out across America, performing at world’s fairs, chautauquas and vaudevilles, making names for themselves and generating a lot of interest in Hawai‘i, Hawaiian music and culture. Thirdly, when the seventeen million visitors who attended the Panama-Pacific International Exposition in San Francisco in 1915 went crazy for Hawaiian music and the ‘ukulele, the event sparked a nationwide mania for the instrument that didn’t subside until the Great Depression. (excerpt from John King's article.) http://www.nalu-music.com/category/history/ The my dog has fleas tuning came from another Portugese instrument, the rajao, a five string guitar.

I think diversity of age coupled with the Aloha Spirit has a great deal to do with it. Most ukulele players I've met appreciate a broader range of other players even if they don't play/like/listen to particular genres of music . I know that's a generalization, but generalizations hold some truth.

And it is "hep":cool: youngster!

Regards,
Ray

Another thing you can say about ukers is they do their homework! :nana:

salukulady
07-22-2010, 06:28 AM
My poor thread is being polluted...........Hey! Without Jimmy there'd be no uke in my life. Jake toured with him and that's how I ended up here.....

GrumpyCoyote
07-22-2010, 06:48 AM
Really interesting thread...

My listening habits are pretty eclectic and lean toward the obscure - I tend to avoid the pop sentiment of the day. Not entirely, but in general. Something about discovering a band or songwriter on my own makes it more special to me. Not only that, I tend towards musicians that go their own way too - I value acts that that ignore what's "sellable" to authentically make art. No pretense, just real music.

The desire to sort of go my own way with music meant that the uke was a terrific fit. I think the uke itself sort of embodied the "do your own thing" spirit I like in music for me. I love the guitar, but it's unlikely that I'll ever do something on a guitar that hasn't been done before. With the uke, I can at least make things fresh and put a bit more of a unique spin on them. It's unexpected (for now).

So I think your observation may have something to do with a crowd who were likely into "alternative and obscure" things in the first place - making the uke a natural fit.

spookefoote
07-22-2010, 07:45 AM
I think I know the answer to this. Is it because our heads aren't stuffed half way up our $%#@'s

GaryC1968
07-22-2010, 07:47 AM
I think I know the answer to this. Is it because our heads aren't stuffed half way up our $%#@'s

Are you saying our heads are stuffed all the way up our $%#@'s???

spookefoote
07-22-2010, 07:51 AM
An excellent point dear Gary. I'll answer that next time I go round and meet my lungs again.

GaryC1968
07-22-2010, 07:59 AM
See you back on the surface, spookefoote.

spookefoote
07-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Glugggggg!

ukecantdothat
07-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Really interesting thread...

My listening habits are pretty eclectic and lean toward the obscure - I tend to avoid the pop sentiment of the day. Not entirely, but in general. Something about discovering a band or songwriter on my own makes it more special to me. Not only that, I tend towards musicians that go their own way too - I value acts that that ignore what's "sellable" to authentically make art. No pretense, just real music.

The desire to sort of go my own way with music meant that the uke was a terrific fit. I think the uke itself sort of embodied the "do your own thing" spirit I like in music for me. I love the guitar, but it's unlikely that I'll ever do something on a guitar that hasn't been done before. With the uke, I can at least make things fresh and put a bit more of a unique spin on them. It's unexpected (for now).

So I think your observation may have something to do with a crowd who were likely into "alternative and obscure" things in the first place - making the uke a natural fit.

I think this perfectly fits the definition of what is hip. I too am digging the uke for these reasons. I'm basically just doing what I've always done on guitar (but without the pick!), but people respond to it differently because it's unexpected. I'm speaking as a mainlander, of course. Go to the islands and it's not seen as the novelty instrument it is here. Here it's a gimmick to a lot of people. I play with a steel drummer and that's a gimmick, too - mixing Caribbean and Hawaiian, to some, is waaaay gimmicky. Good thing, too, because all of a sudden we're getting more gigs and having a blast at the same time! Must be the uke!

UncleElvis
07-22-2010, 08:33 AM
The guitar is my first love and a wonderful instrument but I have to admit there is baggage that goes along with the instrument. There is the whole guitar-as-phallic-symbol thing, as well as competitiveness between players (the pinnacle of that attitude forms the climax of the move Crossroads - the Ralph Macchio one, not the Britney Spears one).

I find no such competitive baggage with the uke. None. No "that was good but Jake could do it better," or "Victoria Vox blows other uke based songwriters out of the freakin' WATER, man!" The most technically skilled uke players love sitting in with rank beginners. There's just an air of encouragement and collaboration with the uke, probably because the guitar cliches don't apply.

It also hearkens back to the days before radio and tv dominated our living rooms. People used to make music together in their homes. We can all probably name a family or two we know who were like that - everyone plays an instrument or two or three, and if you get 'em together it's a show.

This... definitely this...

Ukulele JJ
07-22-2010, 08:50 AM

Yup.

There's a reason this guy has a guitar (http://ferrariguyforhire.com/photos/photos.html) instead of a uke. :-)

JJ

spookefoote
07-22-2010, 09:00 AM
Yup.

There's a reason this guy has a guitar (http://ferrariguyforhire.com/photos/photos.html) instead of a uke. :-)

JJ

I've a feeling my answer involves a medical issue.

ukecantdothat
07-22-2010, 09:01 AM
Yup.

JJHey, he's for hire! Bring your axe, dude! Can you play anything? Where's your custom Jackson with the locking nuts so you don't get out of tune when you get all whammy on us? Nice pecs! Are those real or did you borrow them from Heidi Montag? Who's Ferarri is that? And, oh hey, the eighties called - they want their hair back!

Now, if this guy did get a uke, what kind would it be?

salukulady
07-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Yup.

There's a reason this guy has a guitar (http://ferrariguyforhire.com/photos/photos.html) instead of a uke. :-)y
JJyuck...I think I'll stay with my uke playing boys...

salukulady
07-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Hey, he's for hire! Bring your axe, dude! Can you play anything? Where's your custom Jackson with the locking nuts so you don't get out of tune when you get all whammy on us? Nice pecs! Are those real or did you borrow them from Heidi Montag? Who's Ferarri is that? And, oh hey, the eighties called - they want their hair back!

Now, if this guy did get a uke, what kind would it be?Flying V.

spookefoote
07-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Hey, he's for hire! Bring your axe, dude! Can you play anything? Where's your custom Jackson with the locking nuts so you don't get out of tune when you get all whammy on us? Nice pecs! Are those real or did you borrow them from Heidi Montag? Who's Ferarri is that? And, oh hey, the eighties called - they want their hair back!

Now, if this guy did get a uke, what kind would it be?

Could we all club together and pay him not to buy a uke?

ukecantdothat
07-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Flying V.

Ding ding ding ding ding!!! Perfectamundo, Sal!

ukecantdothat
07-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Could we all club together and pay him not to buy a uke?

Yeah, he probably makes his living be hired not to do whatever it is he does. :•)

thebot
07-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Speaking as someone who is still a keen guitarist as well as a new ukulele enthusiast, I think the reason my ukulele is getting all the attention at the moment is mostly because I pick up the thing and start playing music. With guitar it's too easy to get bogged down in made up technicalities like 'tone' that mean you end up mucking about with pedals and the like and then spend all your time trying to find the perfect sound and you get distracted from the important thing - making music. And I'm having so much fun again now just playing tunes!

Have to say though, this site is a total inspiration. It's full of good info and it's great to see a site on the net where people are encouraging each other and helping each other out. Makes a nice change!

MarySue
07-22-2010, 10:40 AM
I went from double bass to ukulele. I think it's because I got sick and tired of hauling an instrument taller than I am around. My uke fits in my purse. Literally (http://www.flickr.com/photos/marysuephotoeth/4818672557/).

My friends and I do karaoke a lot. Now we don't have to wait for a KJ to call our names as we sip overpriced and watered down drinks and deal with drunken frat boys and bachelorette parties, we can sit out back on the porch and sing through the small number of songs I can play (number of songs I can play growing by the week).

ukecantdothat
07-22-2010, 11:14 AM
I went from double bass to ukulele. I think it's because I got sick and tired of hauling an instrument taller than I am around. My uke fits in my purse. Literally (http://www.flickr.com/photos/marysuephotoeth/4818672557/).

My friends and I do karaoke a lot. Now we don't have to wait for a KJ to call our names as we sip overpriced and watered down drinks and deal with drunken frat boys and bachelorette parties, we can sit out back on the porch and sing through the small number of songs I can play (number of songs I can play growing by the week).

Love the flickr pics! Guess I'll be using the side door... Watch out for those frat boys!

redheadedali
07-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Ukulele came from Hawaii and whoever plays it has a little Aloha in them.

I love that. I might have to steal it, if you don't mind, Arashi :).

And I'd just like to say that this thread pretty much encapsulates what I love about playing the uke and visiting this awesome forum (even if I mostly lurk). Ukes forever!

itsme
07-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Ooh, I really like that bag but can't make out the label. What brand is it and where'd you get it, if you don't mind saying.

austin1
07-22-2010, 04:00 PM

Because we're awesome. Duh :cool:

Regster
07-22-2010, 06:51 PM
i tried to get away from the uke, but never works for me i always end up playin with my uke, i used to think guitar was my first love but i havent touch a guitar for a year.
i guess i like its simplicity so easy to use and play.

Howlin Hobbit
07-23-2010, 06:39 AM
I'm generalizing, of course, but you don't hear of too many people picking up a uke in order to "get chicks." :-)
Errrm... in the teens & 20's you assuredly were more able to get chicks if you could strum a ukulele. I'm happy to report that even now, nearly a century later, chicks dig it. :cool:

Yup.

Arrrrgh! My eyes!

P.S. Uncle Elvis -- anyone who rocks a fez is ok by me!

salukulady
07-23-2010, 06:52 AM
uh oh.....the Hobbits back and he's sporting a fez!

MarySue
07-23-2010, 06:55 AM
Ooh, I really like that bag but can't make out the label. What brand is it and where'd you get it, if you don't mind saying.

My 'purse' is an Eddie Bauer diaper bag I got at a thrift shop for $10. Unless I tell people it is a diaper bag, though, they don't notice. I like it because it's waterproof and has lots of pockets.

(The uke doesn't go out for walkies in my purse like that when there's even a vauge chance of rain. That picture's from my last trip to California, in June.)

ukecantdothat
07-23-2010, 11:51 AM
A wise man once said, "Ain't never gonna do it without the fez on"

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-23-2010, 07:46 PM
because we, us, UU, are... well, just awesome.

spookefoote
07-24-2010, 05:02 AM
A wise man once said, "Ain't never gonna do it without the fez on"

Myself I prefer a Panama

UncleElvis
07-24-2010, 05:31 AM

Friend request incoming! *grin*

Ooh! New group to be formed! FWUP!
(Fez Wearing Ukulele Players!)

freshthreat
07-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Bass makes you frown (in a funky kind a groovey way)
Guitar makes you stare (in a too many strings for too few fingers way)
Uke makes you smile.

Oh that's halairious!!! I'm using that!

lambchop
07-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Is it uker? I was pushing for ukist, myself! Oh, and I'm bass to ukulele and I do not agree that they make you frown - they make you move! And the ukulele makes you smile (on that i agree). Mike

bailey_boi
08-31-2010, 02:38 PM
because the ukulele inspires fun with its looks and sound, its not too mainstream and hasnt been blighted be 'the man' so to speak, and yes i agree with everyone diversity, there is no ukulele player mould like you find with the guitar and other instruments its played by anyone of any race/gender/background/musical interest/ build

sukie
08-31-2010, 04:55 PM

DING. DING. DING!!! Great answer.

itsme
08-31-2010, 05:37 PM
there is no ukulele player mould like you find with the guitar
I disagree with that, mainly because there are so many varieties of guitar players. I play classical, but there are acoustic players into entirely different genres and then there are electric shredders, who also play a variety of styles.

ricdoug
08-31-2010, 07:49 PM
Sally mentioned how Rayan, Aldrine and Aaron have created an international ukulele through the world wide web, that is open, friendly and accepting to all walks. Without prejudice. I've seen and experienced the same thing. Mucho grande gigante aloha in here for all! It's little known here that I play a lot more on my guitars (61 of them) than on my ukuleles (15 of them). However; I always have ukuleles (and a Traveler Guitar - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Traveler-Guitar-Ultra-Light-Nylon-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-508171-i1426865.gc ) in my cars. I strum and pick my ukuleles while out and about. When we travel overseas I bring a ukulele as a carry on, along with packing an amp in my luggage. I also notice the competition is as great on the guitar as the acceptance is on the ukulele. Ric

UkuLeLesReggAe
09-01-2010, 03:51 AM
more chill, relaxed, open minded.... brighter ;)

ErnieJ
09-01-2010, 05:58 AM
I think it is because the uke adapts to so many styles well. I like to call the uke the Swiss army knife of stringed instruments.

erniej

Pippin
09-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Hey! Without Jimmy there'd be no uke in my life. Jake toured with him and that's how I ended up here.....

That's pretty cool. I am glad you enjoyed the show and glad you took up the ukulele.

salukulady
09-01-2010, 09:48 AM
That's pretty cool. I am glad you enjoyed the show and glad you took up the ukulele.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVB5N_HQOmo

nickman2
09-01-2010, 09:52 AM
I think that anyone who plays the ukulele is open to everything. not all of us started out as strictly Uke players but the fact that we became Ukulele players just shows how open we are to trying new things. the Ukulele to me is such a calm and peaceful instrament that can play any genre of music in the world. "Ukers" are just really awesome too.

ErnieJ
09-01-2010, 10:40 AM
A few years ago I started playing acoustic guitar and writing songs. This after a couple of decades of playing bass guitar for other songwriters. I bought a uke on a whim after seeing Jake and a few others. I am always open to new instruments. Now I find it fun to write songs on the uke. For some reason it has been easier for me to learn complex chords and chord progressions on the uke than it has been for guitar. It's either the uke or I have just built up to that point and the uke fits. I am noticing and learning why certain progressions work and sound good. Now my uke playing recharges my guitar playing. If I come up with something on the uke I'll transfer it to guitar and vice versa. Many times I'll learn something new about the guitar or uke when I do that. I also like to play uke for a couple of days and then pick up the guitar. They sound so different it is amazing and can be inspiring. I find that I write differently on the uke than on guitar. If I am writing on guitar it is usually very folky Gillian Welch kind of stuff whereas on the uke I do not have that bass note to hit first so I end up using uke strumming patterns and it changes the style of my music. I like that very much. I still like the guitar and am not ready to stop playing it. I'm basically a strummer on both. My goal is to learn to write a great song and both are good for that.

ukecantdothat
09-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Is it uker? I was pushing for ukist, myself! Oh, and I'm bass to ukulele and I do not agree that they make you frown - they make you move! And the ukulele makes you smile (on that i agree). Mike

I prefer "ukerist." It has such a... communal feel. :nana:

ADD
09-25-2010, 08:21 AM
I prefer "ukerist." It has such a... communal feel. :nana:

DITTO that!!

mm stan
09-25-2010, 06:31 PM
The uke is so diverse and so is all uke players......it makes us all happy and it is Fun....

santamacx
09-25-2010, 06:51 PM
my first instrument was the saxophone. I learned how to play bari sax, soprano, and everything. I picked up the uke and all the songs i loved from hawaiin music, popular music, and classical music could be played. Something that shaped my outlook on ukulele was jake shimabukuro speaking about his love of music and ukulele at once. Just the love of music, rather than competition, drew me to his instrument.

ADD
09-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Or a "ukester" who remains a youngster for life.

Hippie Dribble
09-25-2010, 10:05 PM
the uke is a cross-genre, cross-cultural, intergenerational tour de force!!! It brings people of all ages and backgrounds together in goodwill. It is simply the most humble and inclusive instrument there is.

Kvowens89
01-01-2011, 04:45 PM
This is the best thread ever. I love my ukulele and I love this site.

pdxuke
01-01-2011, 06:19 PM

Nor age. Lots of youngsters, midsters and elders uke it up, and every cat here is hep. :cool:

ytmr
01-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Perhaps cause guitars are getting extremely common, and it's hip to be unique? :D

kevkwak
01-01-2011, 10:30 PM
One thing I've felt recently is that when I played (using the term loosly) the guitar I felt slightly isolated with it and I couldn't imagine nor want to play with a group or strangers say - with the uke though I'd love to just get together with a group of uke players and jam along and have fun. I think the uke has a sense of community about it rather than everyone fighting for themself (i.e. maybe less competition). The ukulele fits my personality more.

Hippie Dribble
01-01-2011, 10:31 PM
this may have already been mentioned, but the uke is perhaps the most adaptable, flexible instrument there is. Simply, there is not a genre of music the uke cannot bring something to...jazz, blues, folk, pop and rock, bluegrass and country, novelty, childrens, classical, show tunes etc etc...

the appeal is indoubtedtly the breadth of its application.

And you don't have to be a "talented" musician to get and give lots of pleasure with it!!! It's unashamedly for EVERYONE :)

Jane
01-02-2011, 01:09 PM
A strong desire to make music struck me when I reached the big 60...piano was out (short fingers), the guitar looked too intimidating, the ukulele, however, had a whiff of goofiness, a sense fun, and seemed to say "Try me!.

I did, and, that was that. I'm making music, feeling great, and, yes, there's often a goofy grin on my face.

You are all right - it's funny little instrument that, in the right hands, can sound fantastic, yet, even in my (and, maybe, in your) hands can make the world a little brighter.

Tor
01-03-2011, 01:04 AM
I'm fairly new here on UU, and there seems to be a constant influx of new members. What I gather is that people arrive at the ukulele from all directions. Some haven't played anything before, others have played some other instrument (which can vary wildly), and of course the musical background and interest is even more varying. I think that's the "why" in the question below:

Let me say that I'm not kissing your butts here, I just see a lot more tabs for alternative, indie and obscure music. It seems like the majority of bassists follow the craziest players who can acrobatically attack a bass. The guitarists have a majority that seem to follow Dylan, the Dead, someone I can't mention, and very traditional music. Here - it's all over the place and the most diverse by far.
I'm also not knocking the other groups. I just wonder why it is how it is.

On the other hand:

One thing I've felt recently is that when I played (using the term loosly) the guitar I felt slightly isolated with it and I couldn't imagine nor want to play with a group or strangers say - with the uke though I'd love to just get together with a group of uke players and jam along and have fun. I think the uke has a sense of community about it rather than everyone fighting for themself (i.e. maybe less competition). The ukulele fits my personality more.

I used to spend a lot of time on RMMGA (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic), and this group of guitar folks are setting up gatherings and meet-ups all the time, with people who never met before in person (until their first gathering). I've never attended any of these gatherings myself though, for several reasons, and one is that flying all over the world with guitar(s) is tricky and risky business, particularly if you fly economy. I've done that a few times when traveling in my job and it's always nerve-wrecking until you're through.

The ukulele seems to be much less demanding in many ways.. (not just the flying part.) I've played guitar for more than three decades but I'm not really much of a guitarist (and I don't do songs at all. Don't sing well, can't remember lyrics). With the ukulele there's still so much you can do - I think I would fit in much easier in a gathering of ukulele players, even with only weeks behind me with the ukulele.

I should mention though that it was on RMMGA I first heard about the greatness of the ukulele, it was highly recommended by several RMMGA members that any guitarist should acquire a number of those (obviously RMMGA members are as strongly affected by GAS as any UU member is affected by UAS.. maybe even more, and thus only talk about instruments in multiples). This first came up years ago so it took quite a while before I actually bought my first ukulele - but it wasn't until recently that I could actually find any in shops at all.