your suggestion wanted

Keef

Reaction score
I am a beginner and maybe this should be in the beginners section but I thought it might get more views here
heres the deal I have yet to learn a established song other than he's got the whole world in his hands that only requires 2 chords' :) so I made my own little ditty and ive taken that as far as I can
can anyone suggest a good song for me to work on that's not a old folk song that as a self taught beginner I might actually succeed at learning thank for youre suggestions

What chords do you know and comfortable playing with?

The first song I was able to sing and play on Ukulele was Imagine by John Lennon.

F, C, Am, Dm, G7, E7 are all you need to know. As you progress you can add in riffs and melodies (like the run up to C) and fill it out, but I think it sounds great with just these chords. I was looking for the chords I use on UU but I do not see them. I can copy and paste mine in here if you need them, I just need to get my book first.

I used a bunch of them when I made my own song but I dont know their name or even if I invented new ones :)
Can you provide the shape i.e. F - 2010; G=2nd Fret, C=open, E=1st fret, A=open. This way we can try to assess what chords you're familiar with and therefore provide you with some songs using those chords. If you're familiar with major and minor chords like C (0003), G (0232), D (2220), Dm (2210), Am (2000), that will get you started.

when I get home I will figure out what chords I used im sure I didnt come up with any new ones :) and Im also sure they are very basic ... stay tuned

Pick a song you've heard that you know the words to and look up tabs (guitar or ukulele) and learn it. Try to keep things relatively within your experience and only add one or two new chords per song. Then, just keep playing and keep playing and keep playing...

~DB

I'd choose an old childhood song that you know the timing to, ie...twinkle twinkle little star etc....
Find one with the least chords one or two and work your way up to more, and choose one with
the chords you are most comfortable with......Good Luck!!!! MM Stan...

The chords I used the most were C G7 Fmaj and I couldn't translate the last one it was 0013

I found it really helpful to find easy songs that I could play along to someone else playing, like on YouTube. I spent a lot of time watching video tutorials on YouTube, especially those posted by Ukulele Mike (aka Mike Lynch). He has two YouTube accounts: MusicTeacher2010 and BeatlesUkuleleMike. He posts the chords on the videos, and you can stop the videos to learn chords you don't already know. Start with the oldest posts, which are geared more for beginners. You'll also find a lot of other tutorials on YouTube by searching for "ukulele tutorial" on YouTube. Good luck!

0013 was used right before C
if you strum one a few times then the other a few times it sounds like the begining to pinball wizard :)
well sorta

Last edited:
0013 sounds like 2/3s of a G7sus which resolves to G7.

click on my 2 booklets under my signature. one will be for a 'beginner's' songbook.

hope it helps.

keep uke'in',

I get the sense that you may have no idea which way to go, or for that matter even begin. I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions and very helpful ones too. There are tons of 2 and 3 chords songs out there. But just that can become overwhelming too.

If I were you, I would consider taking a some lessons. There is merit in having someone teach you and help you through chords, strumming, timing, etc. You will be amazed at how a good teacher can pull everything together.

Just a thought.

John

keep playing around and have fun.

Google ukulele chord chart. Keep that window open for reference, or better yet print it out.

Now, use google for songs that you like (you'd be surprised how easy some songs are to play, and don't involve a lot of chords!), searching for the title and the word "chords". Like, "I'm Yours chords" will bring up the song and the chords to play it, in the results.

Refer back to the chord chart, and play each chord and you'll start hearing the song coming through what you're playing.

I'm self-taught on guitar, and this is how i got rolling on it. Find songs you like, find the chords to them, and you'll learn chords and a song at the same time!

Above all, enjoy not knowing what you're doing - it's fun, and it's how you can develop your own style of playing!

Last edited:
Don't stop riffing your own chords though! Training your ear and imagination by playing what sounds good is creative gold. Formal chords from charts are just a suggestion or a way for groups to play together. That little chord set you mentioned is a classic I,IV,V groove that can be played a lot of ways. Try changing your Fmaj7 to a straight F and see how sweet it sets up the resolve to G or C.

0013 sounds like 2/3s of a G7sus which resolves to G7.

click on my 2 booklets under my signature. one will be for a 'beginner's' songbook.

keep uke'in',
Aloha Uncle Rod,
I think You're right, thanks......I just can't remember...I hardly use it ...only in a certain hawaiian song as an in between note
before going to "C" , I knew it was sus something... Mahalo Much, MM Stan....(now you know what MM in my user name stands for)LOL....

Last edited:
Top Bottom