PDA

View Full Version : Travels over for signed travel uke?

fivetide
07-22-2010, 09:01 AM
Hi everyone, I've a little problem and I could use some good advice.

I got my Kala spruce travel uke signed by the band Midlake at a recent festival. I love it!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4100/4819059066_1d2a890de6_m.jpg

Trouble is, this isn't an opportunist eBay thing, and I don't want more signatures either - I want to take my travel uke to a lot more festivals and play it without rubbing off the Midlake sigs.

It's signed with a Sharpie, I believe. How can I coat/spray/paint/tape or somehow protect the front of the uke so that it looks neat, protects the sigs and doesn't bleed the ink?

Any help much appreciated as always - this uke MUST continue to be my Festy beater, just with added Midlake cool :)

Graymalkin
07-22-2010, 09:47 AM
I'd suggest (after experimentation with a Sharpie and a bit of wood to check the ink won't run) carefully varnishing just the signatures. But I may be being an idiot.

I know what you mean, though - I once got a seamstress to sew the signatures into a signed Liverpool shirt so I could carry on wearing and washing it...

fivetide
07-22-2010, 11:02 AM
(I feel I need to reply, not only to say thanks but also to say --- She said "I know you and you cannot sing" I said "That's nothing, you should hear me play piano...")

I was hoping for some sort of light spray on lacquer or some such?

mds725
07-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Try posting your question in the luthiers forum on this site. If anyone would know what you can put on the surface of an ukulele without ruining it, luthiers would.