picking or fingerpicking

ovation_89

Reaction score
i see that most people fingerpick their ukes. do many people use felt or rubber picks (which ones are better)? and does using them take something away that fingerpicking gives?

I've tried the felt picks but I really don't like them. What works for me is growing out my nails just a little bit and going from there. I like the sound that the combination of the nails and the fleshy part of your fingers makes on the strings. The key is to play around with different techniques and see which one you like best!

Fingerpicking just seemed to be the natural thing to do for me on the ukulele. I played guitar for many years, but could never manage it on that. (I'm more of a hamfisted garage player on guitar)

With fingerpicking I can actually manage more complicated things than I might with a pick and get a more varied approach to chords based on the picking pattern or strumming with the back of the nail, plucking a partial chord etc...

But there is no right or wrong. Picks work better for some folks and fingers for others. Just play.

I personally much prefer fingerpicking, but I have a friend who refuses to fingerpick on his uke... all he'll use are rubber picks... or any other rubber substitute if there isn't a pick available (violin mutes, broken pieces of shoes... he uses is imagination). Anyhow, it really depends on your preference. I'd say get a rubber or felt pick and try it out. IF you like it, stick with it. If not, work on fingerpicking!

Of, of course, work on both, so you can play with more variety.

Picks or No picks

I can not use felt/rubber/or even regular picks to save my life. I'm a straight up finger picker on both uke, guitar, and bass. That being said, I've seen Lyle Ritz tear it up using a felt pick. If I had to choose between rubber and felt, I'd go felt. But it seems like it'd be darn near impossible to use flat picking techinques with either. If you're a guitar player and flat picker, try using a thumb pick, (file it down to your preference though, stock thumb picks are way too long and thick for my taste). You can use the thumb pick for flat picking stuff while still keeping your fingers free for fingerpicking. If you're playing jazzy chordal based runs, the felt pick will sound great (I'd rather just use the pad of my thumb though). Anyways, just some thoughts.

I like rubber picks. In fact it's nearly all i CAN play with. I tried fingerpicking and had no luck :'(. Felt picks feel all wierd in my hands (just bought one today actually), and guitar picks are a little scary for me because I don't wanna scratch my uke. :D

I've never ever liked my nails short...It just don't feel right.
So my nails have always had a bit of a tip, so fingerpicking wit' me nails has always come naturally!

I've tried the felt picks but I really don't like them. What works for me is growing out my nails just a little bit and going from there. I like the sound that the combination of the nails and the fleshy part of your fingers makes on the strings. The key is to play around with different techniques and see which one you like best!

i grow my thumb nail out too. i dunno if its just me though but if my thumb nail gets too long it doesnt sound as good. how long do you guyz grow out your nails?

tried a few guitar picks, felt picks, rubber picks -- not for me -- I'd rather use my fingers. i folded up part of a matchbook cover once and it actually sounded pretty good, but i have not pursued it.

so i guess fingers are the way to go for me -- been trying to grow out my thumb nail thicker to try that, but keep catching it on things and folding it back (yeah, ouch). i'll give it a go for a couple more months, then maybe try a thumbpick.

whatever, its all in good fun!

On guitar I always used a pick because I wanted to play fast. I can use regular guitar picks on the uke but I find that fingerstyle sounds better because it gives it a fuller sound.

I think it depends on what you want to play and how you want it to sound. I saw Jake and James Hill use picks to play Paganini. Who are your favorite players? Find out what they use then try it out. They have chosen what they use because of the sound they are trying to achieve.

Guitar players I think have an advantage because this topic has been explored completely. Fingerstyle purists vs. plectrum users. It doesn't really matter just play it if you like it and don't care what others might think.:music: Straight from Jake:
http://www.enterprisenews.com/entertainment/x2050103047/Shimabukuro-changing-perceptions-about-ukulele

Last edited:
Top Bottom