Timbuck's Tip's (fitting kerfed linings)

Timbuck

Reaction score
Fitting kerfed linings to Sopranos can be a bit tricky sometimes..especially if the material is a bit brittle....this is how I do it nowadays.
First of all I have the correct length of the linings marked on the mould, so I can cut and bend them at the waist before fitting.
PICT7549.jpg

Next I mark the position of the waist bend with a felt tip marker.
PICT7551.jpg

Then after a short spell on the hot pipe they look like this.
PICT7552.jpg

Finally All glued in place ready for radius sanding
PICT7557.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff Ken. However I use solid linings on sopranos - seems to give them more umph... and you can fit them easier.

Just looked at the pics again Ken. My those sides seem chuncky or is it just my glasses?

Last edited:
It's just the magnification of the camera Pete..the sides are .075" thick ..and the linings are 3/16" wide X 1/4" deep @ approx: 6 kerfs per inch.:)...That was the last of my stock of soprano linings..Tomorrow i'll have to make a load more:(

Ken,
I noticed the tapered channel around your mold. Is that to rout the taper into the back? If so, do you then sand the back after that on a radius board or just leave it as routed?

No thats the rebate where the top/soundboard fits.....There's no routing involved .....the mould is upside down in the pic's.
See Here click on the pic.

Last edited:
Sheesh....why didn't I ever think of marking the lining length on the mold??
Great tip Timbuck

Top Bottom