Lanikai CK-TEQ - Pickup Sounds a "Thump" when Strings Played

gregmorris78

Reaction score
When unplugged, the uke sounds fine to me. When plugged in, I get a thump each time I strum or pluck notes. Its prominence adjusts based on the effect I have on it but it is still always there and very disturbing. It sounds w/o any inline effects as well.

What can I do?

That's a part of many sbt's - it's the percussive sound of your attack on the string. Some things help
EQ
modification of your attack
certain amps have string dynamic or brilliance controls that can help (Fender Acoustasonic amp string dynamics control works nicely)
good pre-amp

Anyone Like the Lanikai CK-TEQ Uke?

I just bought one and am not sure if I want to keep it. It sounds okay to me but when plugged in, I get a thump when I strum or pluck.

It's a tenor size and has the nylgut strings.

When plugged in, I get a "Thump" When Strumming or Plucking

Anyone ever heard of this problem and what can be done to get rid of it? The uke is a Lanikai CK-TEQ tenor. It has a Shadow SH-P3B pick up built in.

The thumping can be VERY loud depending on the effect I am using but I get the "Thumps" even with out the effects.

Try changing the strings. I thought nylguts were too thumpy when plugged in so I went to regular Aquilas and they sound better.

I can reduce the "thump" by dailing the bass EQ all the way down but it seems ridiculous to have to set it that way. I was hoping it would be something else like a loose pick-up or something - I don't know. Could it be the way the p/u is installed in the instrument?

I can reduce the "thump" by dailing the bass EQ all the way down but it seems ridiculous to have to set it that way. I was hoping it would be something else like a loose pick-up or something - I don't know. Could it be the way the p/u is installed in the instrument?

It can be. I'm not an expert. What are you plugging into? Every system is different. Some systems, you might not get the thump at all. It's not ridiculous to adjust your settings depending on the situation.

Is the thumping a common "problem"? Do you get any "thumping" when plugged in? It seems ridiculous to dail the bass eq all the way down . . .

I can reduce the "thump" by dailing the bass EQ all the way down but it seems ridiculous to have to set it that way.

I second seeso. It is *not* rediculous to turn the bass EQ all the way down. Sometimes, the PA/house/board is set up with bass cranked up quite high. Note that on PA board, "bass EQ" is centered 80 Hz (the 6th string E of guitar) and lower. The C string of ukulele is about 250 Hz and that's the lowest frequency you ever go (for a low-G ukulele, the G string is about 200 Hz) so anything below will not be necessary. When I perform, I usually send my ukulele pick-up into a guitar pre-amp and turn the bass EQ all the way down to avoid the "thump".

It depends on the type of PU you have, but a soundboard transducer tends to pick up thump more easily than a piezo-type under the saddle PU.

Cheers
Chief

PS: Jake Shimabukuro tends to prefer a lot of thump to add percussive feel to his playing so this may not be a bad thing....

It could also be that you are thumping the bridge or really any part of the uke for that matter. It doesn't take much to transfer the vibration to the pickup. Even the neck will thump when struck, again it doesn't take much. You can actually use it to your advantage as a percussion (kick drum) element once you get used to where and how it happens. As stated above, EQs can help reduce it, but you don't want to get rid of all your lows or you end up sounding to brittle.

MGM posted something a while back with James Hill giving a demo of the "thump-as-bass-drum" technique that was mind-blowing if anyone knows how to find that. He made it look so simple, but it sounded like a multitrack after he got all the other percussive bits and riffing in there. Helluva groove he got going. Quite funky.

What are sbts? I have a CK-TEQ. Do I need to wear a condom?

What are sbts? I have a CK-TEQ. Do I need to wear a condom?

SBT stands for sound board transducer. It sticks on the soundboard instead going under the saddle (UST - under saddle transducer).

As stated above: EQ and good quality equipment will help a lot. But it's just the nature of the beast. I think soundboard transducers sound more natural than USTs, but you do fight the thud and arm noise.

This IS common and I've heard both piezo pickups and more advanced transducer pickups do it. Look at it as more of a characteristic of the undersaddle pickup than a problem. Guitars have the same issue. Uke strings, being shorter and higher pitched can allow the thump to stand out more.

What's been recommended here: reduce bass, delay the attack, different strings or a different amp can eliminate it. Also, keeping your hand off the body and playing closer to the 12th fret is a big help. Plucking close to the bridge can make it worse as can resting the heel of your plucking hand or support fingers down near the bridge.

In short, don't get caught in "the idea of things" approach to this EQ..."I shouldn't have to do this...something's wrong here." Something's good here when it works.

BTW, I think the whole "idea of things" approach to instruments also shapes too many instrument/uke choices...

Top Bottom