PDA

View Full Version : Add a "luthier's" section?

dave g
06-09-2008, 02:42 PM
That's mostly where I find myself posting at the Cosmos.

I freely admit to being more of a builder than a player, so it seems like an appropriate place to post things about current projects without coming across as crass self-promotion. I mean, you know... that's what it's for :).

And a lot of the non-builders seem to enjoy stopping in as well. Just an idea...

tripl3thr33
06-09-2008, 05:10 PM
I really like the idea of this, especially when more and more people begin to embark on the journey of luthiery. WIP (work-in-progress) threads could be made there to organize and make a journal of the process (like acabooe).

redsedge
06-09-2008, 10:31 PM
It's a great idea, for repairs as well as building. It would be a really practical and useful addition to the forum. Good one.

h-drix
06-10-2008, 12:13 AM
a section under uke talk would be cool, if it gets big enough then it could be moved to the front page.

JackT
06-10-2008, 03:12 AM
This would be sweet, I loved following the progress of Acabooe's build. It's always nice to see something come together.

polynesianpop
06-10-2008, 06:07 AM
I think a Luthier's section would be very helpful too!

HumbleSounds
06-10-2008, 08:57 AM
I support the idea as well. I have sonsidered building my own uke, so connecting with those who have experience is always a good thing. :D

sukie
06-10-2008, 02:36 PM
What a great idea. I also enjoyed Acabooe's progress. I'm sure it would help people building their own What brave people!

koa
06-10-2008, 05:08 PM
No skills as a woodworker to every attempt to build a uke. But have always been interested in the design concepts and building techniques of the uke. A Luthier Section would be real helpful in more or less consolidating the whole range of elements that are involved in building, maintenance, repair and set up of the 'ukulele. There are probably a few members of this site that are luthiers. This will give them an opportunity to share their knowledge and link their sites. Discovering the many relatively "unknown" builders out there through exposure on this site would be interesting.

UkuleleSwanlet
06-10-2008, 07:42 PM
That would be great to have a Luthier's section. I just ordered a kit from Hana Lima Ia and I am going to try a concert uke. Wish me luck!!:D

tripl3thr33
06-10-2008, 08:25 PM
That would be great to have a Luthier's section. I just ordered a kit from Hana Lima Ia and I am going to try a concert uke. Wish me luck!!:D

oooo good luck. i'm considering of going down to their shop and picking a kit up too but i'm wondering if i should just make one out of plywood first for practice. i also read that their manual is available at public libraries so i'm gonna check that out too.

dmassop
06-10-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm in full support!
Not to take anything away from UU, I love it, but if there are any beginner builders out there like me i found hana lima's forums to be very helpful. Lots of people who know there stuff if your interested

dave g
06-11-2008, 02:06 AM
Cool!

I've got a section at my website you all might be interested in, by the way: http://www.wsukes.com/plans.html

hoosieruke
06-11-2008, 11:44 AM
THIS IS A BLAST!

Time is fast approachin' for Meat 'n Taters Ukulele Intensive at Blue Stone Folk School near Indianapolis.

Imagine a week of studyin' with the likes of Pops Bayless and Mark "Marko" "Spanky" Gutierrez with a small motivated group! You can even build your own soprano with Geoff Davis! We have a blast and play together every evening.

The week ends with a huge concert featuring students, instructors and central Indiana.

We'll work with you to help with transportation and lodging issues.

Meat n Taters Ukulele Intensive
July 6 - 12
Blue Stone Folk School
Noblesville, IN
www.bluestonefolkschool.org

dave g
06-11-2008, 02:17 PM
THIS IS A BLAST!

Time is fast approachin' for Meat 'n Taters Ukulele Intensive at Blue Stone Folk School near Indianapolis.

I'm really tempted to come out and meet you guys this summer... I went to another event out in Nashville last year - cool area :-)

koa
06-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Maybe too soon for this posting. No problems with me if the moderators feel this an inappropriate post and delete it.

I subscribe to the stewmac newsletter. Just received newsletter #63. How to make a nut. Their site has a good free info section that details the process of nut making. This newsletter adds a few more helpful hints. I've made a couple nuts out of a blank chunk of ebony guitar fretboard. If I can create a decent nut following these instructions anyone can.

nikolo727
06-12-2008, 11:36 AM
i also support this idea.

I was actually just about to post a new thread on uke talk asking about luthiery.

I am really considering being an instrument builder when i am older, so i have many questions. i think this would be a great new addition to the forums!

happpy strumming as always,

nikolo

berylbite
06-16-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm all for it!

KamakaTexas
06-17-2008, 01:47 PM
I want to add instrument-building to my list of hobbies. I don't know what I'm doing, so a luthier section would be tremendous.

Nurdaben
06-18-2008, 06:14 PM
Cool!

I've got a section at my website you all might be interested in, by the way: http://www.wsukes.com/plans.html

hahahaha yeah i was reading your page very nice and my favorite part . . .

If you're SURE you're done with power tools for the day, have a beer :-)

UkuleleSwanlet
07-03-2008, 08:53 PM
I started July with my ukulele building project. After receiving the kit from Hana Lima Ia and looking at the various pieces and work involved, I am giving myself until December to complete my concert size ukulele! It will be a Bubinga (I think it's also known as African Rosewood) sides & back with Engelman spruce soundboard and ebony fret board on mahogany neck. Tonight I finished cutting out the plates! I tried with the coping saw, it took me a while with the spruce. :rolleyes: Decided it would take me the whole night to cut the Bubinga piece with the saw, so I ended up using a jigsaw and that was so much easier! Lucky for me that my husband is in construction and have some tools I could used! ;) The next step with a neck seems a bit tricky and then of course the bending of the sides... That might be a whole week of thinking before I proceed with it! There are some great websites that has been helpful and of course Hana Lima Ia's forum is another great resource!!

deach
07-04-2008, 01:37 AM
I started July with my ukulele building project. After receiving the kit from Hana Lima Ia and looking at the various pieces and work involved, I am giving myself until December to complete my concert size ukulele! It will be a Bubinga (I think it's also known as African Rosewood) sides & back with Engelman spruce soundboard and ebony fret board on mahogany neck. Tonight I finished cutting out the plates! I tried with the coping saw, it took me a while with the spruce. :rolleyes: Decided it would take me the whole night to cut the Bubinga piece with the saw, so I ended up using a jigsaw and that was so much easier! Lucky for me that my husband is in construction and have some tools I could used! ;) The next step with a neck seems a bit tricky and then of course the bending of the sides... That might be a whole week of thinking before I proceed with it! There are some great websites that has been helpful and of course Hana Lima Ia's forum is another great resource!!

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Mods - A luthier section would be nice....

tripl3thr33
07-04-2008, 01:24 PM
it'll be great to see what it'll look like in the end. keep us posted about your progress, i'll be glad to keep tabs on it :D

SamIAm
07-19-2008, 06:19 PM

The Hana Lima Ia guide is wat i am using to create my tenor!

SamIAm
07-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Can't wait to see the finished product!

Mods - A luthier section would be nice....

YEA! make a luthiers section or or or we will.....eProtest... lol but srsly a luthiers section would be a great addition!

UkuleleBlake
07-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Would be great for finding people to repair a broken uke in the area or for custom ukuleles.

Pete Howlett
08-22-2008, 08:44 AM
I'd like a forum for builders... I am doing a huge amount with media vlogging what I am currently doing.

tad
08-22-2008, 09:17 AM
I don't even own a screwdriver, but I'd love to browse through a luthiers' section!

acabooe
08-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Ukulele swanlet,
Great job so far, and good luck.

I am currently attending Hana Lima Ia school, and I am building from almost the same kit that you are. The only difference is that i am using a western red cedar soundboard. I have already gone to three classes, and I have another tomorrow. I am working on some at my home too, so that i can start to sell them as well.

I like the idea of a luthier page.

Aloha
Bob

Ukuleleblues
08-31-2008, 04:46 AM
Yes a builder forum would be great! I build (slowly) and it is so cool to perform playing something you made or restored.

Nurdaben
09-01-2008, 09:09 AM
is so cool to perform playing something you made or restored.

gonna talk to my father today see if he wants to help me restore an old uke. even if its not the best sounding it would have the most sentimental value. =)

HI@heart
09-04-2008, 01:29 PM
I look forward to seeing the great ukulele's being crafted out there in the new section. Some day I'll give it a shot myself!

Jack
09-06-2008, 07:13 AM
wow, i never thought about a luthiers section
thanks for adding it admin's ;)