Ukes in Portugal

Reaction score
This summer I'm taking a trip to Portugal and thought that a neat souvenier would be a ukulele since they originated there. Does anyone know of any shops in Portugal (preferably in the south east) where I could buy a ukulele? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

I know both the Lehua, and Cordoba 'ukulele's are made in the city of Braga where the Braguinha ('ukulele's grampa) originated, but unfortunately located in north west Portugal.

as far as I understand, the ukulele didn't actually originate in Portugal, it was the cavaquinho that was brought to Hawaii and morphed into the uke...don't quote me on that, I could be wrong. But I know on the phone my mom describes my uke to my relatives as either a cavaquinho or uma guitarra pequena. I'm sure you can find them, I just have zero idea where. Good luck though! Ask for little guitars, maybe you'll get lucky.

as far as I understand, the ukulele didn't actually originate in Portugal, it was the cavaquinho that was brought to Hawaii and morphed into the uke...don't quote me on that, I could be wrong. But I know on the phone my mom describes my uke to my relatives as either a cavaquinho or uma guitarra pequena. I'm sure you can find them, I just have zero idea where. Good luck though! Ask for little guitars, maybe you'll get lucky.
Aloha Austin1,
How was i supposed to know that you were also a batman fan besides the ukulele?? UM Cavaquinho or uma guitarra penguin...

Aloha Austin1,
How was i supposed to know that you were also a batman fan besides the ukulele?? UM Cavaquinho or uma guitarra penguin...

hahaha, I wouldn't call myself a fan by any means, but the 1960's Batman is probably one of the unintentionally funniest movies I've ever seen in my life. It even beats Twilight.

102263, I decided to call in the big guns for you and Ask My Parents. They said they've never heard of ukes in portugal, they've only heard of cavaquinhos, which, as far as I can tell, gets used to describe everything that's small and has four strings, whether it's actually a cavaquinho or a uke. I also typed in "cavaquinho" on youtube, just seeing what would appear, and Jake's Gently Weeps came up, and the description says (in portuguese) "...a ukelele, but I still think it's a cavaquinho."

So, I'm thinking your best bet might be to ask for cavaquinhos and see what you find.

Last edited:

The Portugese that arrived vin Hawai'i were not from mainland continental Portugal but from the Azores Islands (Madeira and others) in the Atlantic. What they brought over from the Azores to Hawai'i was their own Braguinha aka Machete which did originate in Braga. I'm pretty sure mainland European Portugese would not be aware of this fact unless they had traveled to the Azores. In Brazil where most Portugeuse immigrants arrived from the continent the name of the intrument stuck as Cavaquinno. You are correct in that when in Iberian Portugal ask for the Cavaquinno, but in the Azores where Hawai'i's Portugeuse originated ask for the Braguinha. ;)

Alright, you asked for it! :drool:

Hahaha!

The Portugese that arrived vin Hawai'i were not from mainland continental Portugal but from the Azores Islands (Madeira and others) in the Atlantic. What they brought over from the Azores to Hawai'i was their own Braguinha aka Machete which did originate in Braga. I'm pretty sure mainland European Portugese would not be aware of this fact unless they had traveled to the Azores. In Brazil where most Portugeuse immigrants arrived from the continent the name of the intrument stuck as Cavaquinno. You are correct in that when in Iberian Portugal ask for the Cavaquinno, but in the Azores where Hawai'i's Portugeuse originated ask for the Braguinha. ;)

What he said!

I know this is an almost 6yr old thread I'm zombifying but I just found out after playing ukulele for 2yrs that my history is actually tied in with the ukulele's origin. My family on my fathers side comes from the Azores and my last name is Braga. Blew my mind.. I kind of want a braguinha now but I already have 3 ukes.. The struggle is real! Lol
The fact that it is called "Little Braga" makes me as a woman chuckle.. Like a baby I didn't have to birth haha I can have a little Braga to play with! Sorry just sharing my night of discovery.. Sorry I'm 6yrs late! :D

Fate? Destiny? In the blood?

Top Bottom