Finding the right ukulele

dinamo9

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I am still a uke beginner and I am trying to find a ukulele that feels right. Right now I have a

KA-STE-C Kala Ukuleles Spruce Tenor Cutaway w/pickup & active pre-amp (volume and tone control)

I purchased it off ebay. The things I dont like about it are its weight, finish, strings, and amp option.

I want a simple uke without any coating/finish, nice and light weight, easy to strum strings, and no amp option.

Does anyone have any suggestions of some models to take a look at. Perhaps between $100-$250.

Also, is there a marketplace where I can resell this uke I currently have?

Thanks for the help!

~Miro

Ukulele Marketplace . . . As far as another uke, contact one of the online vendors like MGM or Uke Republic, ask for their recommendation based on your criteria and needs.

Just curious, how did you wind up with a 'ukulele so totally opposite of what you wanted?

Aloha Miro,
That's one of thr pitfalls when you're a beginner and buying on line sight unseen. As a beginner, you're not capable of explaining what
you want and rush what you're saying. Next time, I'd do some research and jot down your wishlist of your wants and dislikes, so you
leave no room for the seller to assume what you want. Perhaps it's a costly lesson to learn...As for reselling it, you can post it here
on the marketplace, or craigslist and flea marketplace....newspaper for local sales too...
Next time say, satin finish....light weight construction, and no pick-up...if you like comfort and playability on the strings, change them to a lighter guage
strings...but they'll come out brighter too.. You didn't mention solid body or Laminates or tone....Good luck!! MM Stan...
BTW- Call the seller back and see if you could exchange it, since this is not what you originally wanted...

Last edited:
Thankyou for all your replys!

Kanaka916, Thanks! It's great to have those links.

cletus, That is good to know I have that option.

Ahnko Honu, When I first bought my uke I didn't really know what I wanted at that point. I just heard other people say good things about that uke. What I didn't realize is that different people like different styles. Even though that applies to buying anything, I just didn't think it through.

mm stan, Totally. I bought it from MGM on eBay so I am going to email them and see what they say. Thanks for laying out the proper way to explain what kind of uke I want, that is very helpful. Much appreciated.

~Miro

Probably should call MGM. He must get a zillion emails, but he does answer his phone.
Good luck!

Good to know! I just found my receipt. I purchased it for $218 on July-21-2008. Today he is selling it for $233 (http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370410219033)

I'm glad it is has held its value. I have used it very little. Now i'm at a point where I will be starting lessons in september.

What would you suggest I ask MGM? In what ways would you think they could help me out? if any.

Thanks!

Good to know! I just found my receipt. I purchased it for $218 on July-21-2008. Today he is selling it for $233 (http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370410219033)

I'm glad it is has held its value. I have used it very little. Now i'm at a point where I will be starting lessons in september.

What would you suggest I ask MGM? In what ways would you think they could help me out? if any.

Thanks!
Just tell Mike that the ukulele you recieved was not what you expected and is not working for you.. and if it is possible to
exchange it....and tell him what you really want....jot down a wish list of your likes and dislikes
just in case you get excited and rush again while explaining.....I hope it helps, Good Luck!!! MM Stan..

Last edited:
I don't know guys, July 2008 to July 2010 is an awful long time for a simple exchange (2 yrs) with MGM. I am not sure if he takes trade-ins, or not. We do have a very active marketplace here, so you might consider putting it up for sale or trade, or there is always eBay or Craigslist. Used (but not vintage) ukuleles generally fetch between 50% and 75% of their new sales price in my experience.

Last edited:
I don't know guys, July 2008 to July 2010 is an awful long time for a simple exchange (2 yrs) with MGM. I am not sure if he takes trade-ins, or not. We do have a very active marketplace here, so you might consider putting it up for sale or trade, or there is always eBay or Craigslist. Used (but not vintage) ukuleles generally fetch between 50% and 75% of their new sales price in my experience.

Used uke...the "not bad" part: 2 years of play before needing something different.

You're right SweetWaterBlue...

Yup, I didn't see his last posting when sent mine...unfortunately is seems too long...doesn't
hurt to ask, but I seriously doubting it now. best senerio is like you said and put it up on the marketplace, and buy a new one...it's a expensive lesson to be learned...

Miro, I don't think you'll have much difficulty selling your 'ukulele. You won't get what you paid of course but will get high percentage due to low use, trusted brand, and desired model. Take some pictures and place it in the UU Marketplace. The more loss you're willing to take the quicker it'll sell. As far as calling MGM tell him what you are looking for and he can recommend models for you.

Yup, I didn't see his last posting when sent mine...unfortunately is seems too long...doesn't
hurt to ask, but I seriously doubting it now. best senerio is like you said and put it up on the marketplace, and buy a new one...it's a expensive lesson to be learned...

Well, the good news is that if he sells his in the used market, he can buy a slightly used one like he wants for less than he should be able to get for the one he has, since he wants less features.

Everyone who has helped, Thankyou. I really feel this a great community here and I'll definitely continue posting.

As for selling in the marketplace, does anyone have a suggested asking price? Unfortunately I don't have much knowledge to price it myself. I will try to trade or sell it, and I also sent MGM an email just to see if there is any options with him.

Thanks again

~Miro

Best scenario? Heck! Just keep it an buy another one. You can never have too many ukes. Having two ukes will also allow you to experiment a bit more with tunings. Maybe keep one strung with a low-G. Or maybe get a concert or soprano sized uke as the next uke. I think that you will quickly learn that every ukulele has its own personality and character. Plus, unlike human first-loves, there is nothing wrong with keeping your ukulele first love in the closet and taking it out whenever you feel like a trip down memory lane.:D

You may want to look at Ohanas and Makais as well. They tend to not favor the high gloss in their intruments and at their price point you can not beat the quality! I sold a Makai the other day that was a soprano solid spruce top solid rosewood back and sides with one of the best sounds I ever heard. I hated to see it go! Both of those companies have really good quality control and are just a really great ukulele.

I'd probably start it at 80% of the new price and see what happens. You can always come down if you have to. FleaMarketMusic also has an active marketplace for used instruments, with free listings.

Last edited:
Great, I am going to set up a listing and post it on here today.

As for finding a new uke, I really like the look of this one:

satin_k1_front.jpg

Does anyone know of any ukes in the $100-250 range that are similar to it? I love the light weight and satin non-glossy finish.

Great, I am going to set up a listing and post it on here today.

As for finding a new uke, I really like the look of this one:

satin_k1_front.jpg

Does anyone know of any ukes in the $100-250 range that are similar to it? I love the light weight and satin non-glossy finish.
What wood is that? It looks suspeciously like Koa which will run you $300 at the cheapest (usually). But you can get Koa laminates. If you are looking for something solid in the dark wood you will be able to find an all-mahogany in that price range.

Top Bottom