PDA

View Full Version : Chucking!!!

SlappinTheUke
07-24-2010, 04:42 PM
So I have been trying to learn to comfortably chuck for a few days now. (Just started the Uke this week) And I have been watching all the videos and trying to reposition my hand/wrist blah blah.. so the pad of my palm hits the strings properly and timely with the finger stroke of the strings. A lot of people online say it can make it easier to strum down with the backs of all of your fingers, but I've been trying to figure it out with just the index finger and i think i finally got it.

The fix was very simple and I bet it will work for most others as well. Since I've been learning, my general conception has been that I use the back of my index finger/nail on the down stroke and the meat or pad of the index finger on the way up, and basically strum straight down and straight up. When trying to chuck using this same strumming motion the palm of my hand would never fall over the strings naturally and would always feel awkward and the sound of the strings would as well.

Now, when I am strumming normal I still do straight up/ straight down. But when I strum a chuck, my index finger moves slightly further up the neck per each string during the down stroke. And this makes it so the pad of my hand perfectly lands on the strings to mute naturally without any effort to reposition.

my normal strum:
-----------|-----------
-----------|-----------
-----------|-----------
-----------|-----------

chuck strum:
-----------|-----------
------------|----------
-------------|---------
--------------|--------

I don't know if this is the right or wrong way to do it, I just know I am getting great smooth sounding chucks now and hopefully someone else can save themselves some time using this method. GL

Swampy Steve
07-26-2010, 03:42 AM
Good info, I will try this. Ive tried to "chuck" like Aldrine does on Breakdown,, but it doesnt flow like him,, of course . Maybe this tip will help me improve some
thanks
Steve

Mandarb
07-26-2010, 03:43 AM
Welcome to UU. I am new to uke as well and I am also working on chunking. Aldrine's video on UU teaches strumming down with three or four fingers for proper chunking. I would love to hear what technique other UUers use for chunking - i.e. one finger (as OP is doing) vs. three of four fingers on the down strum.

Slickerdoodles
07-27-2010, 01:48 PM
I've been playing uke for about two months now and chucking is an egg I just haven't been able to crack until now.

That slightly diagonal strum you illustrated is seriously an eye opener for me, and my "chuck" sounds a heck of a lot better. Always amazing when something seemingly complex and difficult can be boiled down to such a simple and elegant solution.

One thing I also noticed is that I have a (bad?) habit of generating a lot of my strumming motion from my index finger when I play. I found that my chuck sounds a lot better when I concentrate on strumming from the wrist instead of just wiggling my finger up and down. Actually I think the reason the diagonal strum works so well for the chuck is that it forces your wrist to rotate so that the pad of your thumb lands naturally on the strings.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your discovery, it definitely helped me out!

glassmeter
07-27-2010, 03:21 PM
I just perfected my chucking not too long ago, I was just sitting there doing it for hours and it finally clicked. I do it by just slightly repositioning my wrist, but I was nervous at first to just hit the uke, but once I got over that fear and started doing it, then it was easy.

Mandarb
07-27-2010, 03:34 PM
Would love to hear more feedback on this subject.

arw
07-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Chuck or Chunk?

Mandarb
07-27-2010, 03:40 PM
Chuck or Chunk?

Proper term is chunking. OP probably just mistyped.

lokahi
01-18-2013, 06:59 PM
this just revolutionized my life. literally weeks of struggle. thank you OP!