Anyone Else got Absolute Beginners Ukulele Omnibus edition?

pjd17mini

Reaction score
Completely new here - and a strange question - I'm working through this book, with the CD playing, and I get to Track 26, the D7 chord, and what's on the CD is completely different to the barre chord that is pictured & what I'm playing!

Then in teh example track, My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean, whenever D7 appears, the same thing happens - Anyone have this book/cd and can check theirs for me?

Cheers

Pjd17mini

Seeing as how I am a beginner too I have G C E A question the code 2020 I'm not sure how to read that as it applys to the strings 2=G 0=C 2=E 0=A strings or do I have that backwards?

You got it, 2020 is G=2, C=0, E=2, A=0.

Standard string count is from the bottom (A) to the top (G). However,practically everything else goes from top to bottom - GCEA, My Dog Has Fleas, etc. The numberical code is no different, it's from top to bottom.

Sorry for the confusion, but that's the convention for now.

Keep uke'in' and check out my links below my signature,

Last edited:
At first you said I've got it right top to bottom then you said it's bottom to top ?????

The string closest to your chin is the top. Thus, the G string is the top. So when we make a Hawaiian D7, 2020 means you fret the G and E strings on the second fret, leaving the others open.

The other (simple) D7 is 2223. I say simple because there are other ways along the fret board to form a D7. 2020 and 2223 are the simplest ways.

Actually, when you look at the majority of chord charts, the image represents the fretboard in the vertical position. Hence from left to right, G; C; E; A.

C2bar.jpg

There are a few chord charts that are shown in the horizontal position.

5433.png

Ahhhh ok one light bulb came on one day I hope to be completely lit :)
thanks

Thanks!

Yes - It's 2020!!

Seems bizarre though how what he plays in the examples is different from what's shown in the book!

Thanks

P

PS - It does confuse me why the strings are referred to from bottom to top - seems logical that G=1 etc, at least to me!

Top Bottom