PDA

View Full Version : Well I never!

Pete Howlett
07-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Just received an email from Volcano Guitar Works - my old supplier Doug Degenhart. Why didn't you guys tell me he was still in business? His sets look really good and very well priced. My first 200 ukulele were made from wood supplied by him. I thought he'd hi-tailed it back to Ohio. Am awaiting further news from him...

EDIT
Just visited his site again and looked at the contact information - he did make it back to Ohio....
Little known fact:
Doug has/had the last batch of incomplete ukulele that Martin had on a pallet for clearance before they ceased production (prior to the recent re-introduction of ukulele). Bought the whole lot for $1000 when he spotted it in a corner whilst on a selling trip to them... bodies, necks, fingerboards, forms. Or so he said to me back in 1998 :)

Matt Clara
07-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Best prices I've seen for koa yet. Not that I've been looking particularly hard. He's got tenor sets for $60.

thistle3585
07-25-2010, 01:35 PM
Funny how companies operate. A friend of mine bought all the ukulele molds, neck blanks, tops etc. from Gibson when they were cleaning house about 15+ years ago.

It seems like Doug is near StewMac. I guess I'll need to make a day trip and see both places.