UAS at it's best (or worst): Bought another uke... Also, Mim ROCKS!!

arashi_nero

Reaction score
So, I've done it, I've bought uke #5. This time, I bought a Lanikai LU-8. A friend of mine has this model of uke and it's because of his uke that I got back on the ukulele path of righteousness :p. I've always known that I would buy an 8-string uke, I just didn't think it would be this soon after buying my Eleuke. But circumstances gave me a little extra spending money and here we are. Hopefully my UAS will subside for a while after this :rofl:

I'm glad Mim started selling Lanikais. Because I had such a good buying experience with her when I bought my Eleuke and because she is really awesome to work with, I decided to buy this uke from her. I told her when I asked for this uke that once she got it, she'd want one too. Man was I right. She told me when she got it in that she hadn't realized how much different the higher-end LU model ukes were from the low-end models.

Anyway, the uke should be shipped out today. Now comes the fun part of waiting.

Here's some pics for everyone to enjoy (i'll personally be drooling over them until it actually arrives)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Want it!!!!

:iwant:

I have never even considered and 8 string before until I saw that picture. It's BEAUTIFUL!

Enjoy your new uke :)

Looks beautiful. Hope the waiting period passes quickly.
Congratulations!

thanks all. good to know i've bought something that's coveted haha.

Man, I want to hear that in action!

after i get it, i'm going to make a vid clip of the difference between my 4 string and 8 string and i'll post it up here.

8-strings are great!!!! Looks like there is a surge of 8-string UAS happ'nin'... just read Alex's review of a Lanikai 08-E 8-string uke. Your Lu-8 looks like a very nice uke and you will certainly get tons of fun and sonic colors from it. Enjoy! :)

Aloha Jason,
Congrats on the purchase of your beautiful lanikai eight stringer...have you thought
of a name for it? Lani maybe???It looks awesome, first time i'm seeing a high end
lanikai....it's awesome. If it were a martin it would be a style 2 with that binding....
and the upgraded bridge...I'm sure it comes with some type of open geared tuners
nice grain and finish...is it a lam???HMMMM Jus wondering..I'm really so happy
fo ya! Betcha can't wait for it to arrive, I was the same way with my backpacker...
checking and waitng for the mailman everyday......Soooo jealous!!!!MM Stan....
And MIM I hear often is the greatest!!!!she rocks!!!!

Last edited:
11th Commandment: "Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's ukulele."

Nice. Yeah, I bought from Mim. Nice gal, easy to work with and willing to give ya a good deal. Hope she does very well in her business..

mm stan! thank you!! it does come with a slotted headstock and open geared gold-colored tuners (a first for me--all my others are silver colored). i'm actually not sure if it's totally a lam or not. the o-8 is a solid spruce top with laminate back and sides and doesn't cost much more, so i would assume it's a solid nato top. nothing i've seen says one way or the other (usually does). i'll know for sure when i receive it.

as for the name, i have never named my instruments, so kinda hard to think of names, but i did come up with something a little different. i'm going to call it hagen. in osaka japanese, when counting by twos, 8 is "ha" and "gen" = string(s). i thought the name sounded funny. i used the same motif with my other ukes, my tenor is shigen = 4 strings, my old soprano is kyuugen = old stringd, my eleuke is dengen = electric strings, and my son's dolphin is akagen = red strings. i may change the names later, but it'll stick for now haha.

oh, mim provided me with a ticker so i know how long till i get the uke.

is it ok to covet your own ukulele? i've been coveting it (maybe lusting is a better word, tho haha) since i got my pics last night.

Yeah, it's ok to covet your own.. Well, until it crosses the line into "Creepy"..

Aloha Jason,
Slotted headstock too...WOW so jealous....you know I had a baritone ukulele made of nato wood, and it was an inexpensive one but sounded better
than my kamaka...more richer and fuller sound. I've seen people look down when you mention Nato. OH they go Nato?...Not sure,but I've heard someone
say it's related to the Mahogany family..who cares if it's a cheaper cut of wood, main thing is it sounds better...maybe a little heavyier..sooo
And you have gold tuners too...talking about upgrades....wow...
I like the name Hagen...it reminds me of "Hagen Motorsports" in the mini imports....wonder if there's any connection somewhere..HMMM
By the way, lani means..sky, heaven..also high chief, majesty, heavenly and spiritual...
Congrats on the purchase, and MiM rocks..supporter of the current ukulele movement... Many Thanks MIM!! You too Jason..

Last edited:
I love you guys!!! You make me melt! The only thing I regret is it is not getting to you sooner. Sent hubby to do the shipping job because of the ac being out at work and I dont know what happened! But it will be worth it! These are so beautiful! I kept showing all my customers when they came in. And the O-8e is amazing too! Drool Drool Drool!

I played that exact uke today at the local music store, sounded Fantastic!
Congrats
S.

I love you guys!!! You make me melt! The only thing I regret is it is not getting to you sooner. Sent hubby to do the shipping job because of the ac being out at work and I dont know what happened! But it will be worth it! These are so beautiful! I kept showing all my customers when they came in. And the O-8e is amazing too! Drool Drool Drool!

you deserve all the accolades we can give! i've only had a handful of people i've bought from where the buying experience is as great as it is with you.

getting out to me how you did is fine. i think i'm a little more patient this time because i've waited so long to get this uke. the eleuke was a little more spur of the moment and the fact that UPS didn't update for days at a time drove me insane. i think not being able to track it is better, too haha. plus, if it's not here by saturday, i'm meeting up with my friend who has an lu-8 to bbq and kanikapila so i can play a little before mine comes.

did you get your a/c fixed? i really think my uke must look good if you were showing it to everyone that came in lol. thanks again for the great service!!

Top Bottom