PDA

View Full Version : "The Mighty Uke" movie screening in Hollywood August 7 (Kala raffle, luau, etc)

Ukedani
07-26-2010, 06:29 AM
Here is the email I just received from Tony Coleman, the director:

MIGHTY UKE Hollywood Premiere...
On Saturday, August 7 MIGHTY UKE screens at Grauman's Egyptian Theater in Hollywood, CA. The event begins at 5pm with a Hawaiian Luau, then a performance by King Kukulele followed by MIGHTY UKE. Tix are available at
http://www.fandango.com/egyptiantheatre_aaofx/theaterpage?date=8/7/2010
We will also be raffling a Kala ukulele from our new sponsors Kala Brand Music.
Don't forget to bring your uke for a giant strum-along. Please help spread the word.
Thanks
Tony Coleman
Director MIGHTY UKE

MIGHTY UKE DVD release date Sept.28
Order yours on August 1 at mightyukemovie.com

Lori
07-26-2010, 07:39 AM
I got my tickets! The Egyptian is a great theater, with a courtyard in front. That's probably where the luau will be. Lots of old Hollywood history there. This is not the one with the footprints in cement, which is down the street a few blocks, so make sure you go to the right Grauman's theater. Sounds like lots of fun. It's a good deal too; dinner, live ukulele act, and a movie for $12.00 a person (which includes process fee).
–Lori

Ukedani
07-26-2010, 07:43 AM
I got my tickets too. It should be an exciting evening. Yes thanks Lori - I should have specified it's NOT the Chinese Theater but the Egyptian. It would be great to meet up with other UU'ers. :)

Thumper
07-26-2010, 07:49 AM
This is a GREAT movie - they just showed it in Fort Lauderdale last weekend, and we really enjoyed it!

didgeridoo2
07-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the info. Was hoping this would be coming around soon.

Landshark
07-26-2010, 09:43 AM
great timing I have to work on the 7th:(

Ukedani
07-26-2010, 12:33 PM
great timing I have to work on the 7th:(

I think you need to call in sick on that Saturday Landshark! :)

Landshark
07-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Wish i could but I am working out of town that weekend:mad:

Ronnie Aloha
07-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Is the luau and entertainment included in the cost of the ticket?

Ukedani
07-26-2010, 03:23 PM
I would assume so since the press release sent to me didn't say anything about add'l costs for dinner, etc. But may be good idea to bring extra $$ just in case. I tried to find more info on the Mighty Uke website but I didn't see anything.

Ukedani
07-26-2010, 03:45 PM
I know it won't be the same as being there but perhaps one of our more techie-minded UU'ers can capture some of the festivities on video? I would offer but I have no idea how to do such a thing (yet).

Lori
07-26-2010, 03:51 PM
From Fandango:

The Mighty Uke
Runtime:1 hr. 16 min.
NR
Genres: Documentary
Luau Dinner: Join us in the Egyptian Courtyard for a Royal Southern California-style Luau with live music from King Kukulele and The Friki Tikis, the Polynesian Paradise Dancers, vendors and a bountiful island-themed dinner. Menu will include Read More
I tried clicking on the Read More link -- but it was a dead end.
Looks like dinner and entertainment is included in the price. They have added more info on the performers since this morning.
–Lori

Ukedani
07-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks for digging up that info Lori. I didn't think to look on Fandango. Next question is: what uke are you going to bring? :)

Aloha
07-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Tempting, I wish I lived closer to Hollywood...

Nah!

Lori
07-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks for digging up that info Lori. I didn't think to look on Fandango. Next question is: what uke are you going to bring? :)
I will bring one of my Kala Dolphin ukes. I would get too stressed-out if I brought one of the others. Since there will be eating, and movie watching, I want to be relaxed and not worry about people testing it out, or bumping it, etc. So, I have a choice, bright blue or orange burst!
–Lori

jordan bello
07-26-2010, 05:04 PM
The Fandango listing now has a $20 listing and a $12 for general. I wonder if that is for the dinner too. I can't miss this.

Ukedani
07-26-2010, 05:20 PM
That is curious. All I know is that I got my tickets right after I received the email from the director and posted it on UU. Maybe I can contact the director/producer and get some clarification.

Ukedani
07-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Well all I have right now to bring is my Kala Acacia concert. :)

Lori
07-26-2010, 08:33 PM
That is curious. All I know is that I got my tickets right after I received the email from the director and posted it on UU. Maybe I can contact the director/producer and get some clarification.
Yes, let us know what you find out. Did I miss something this morning when I ordered, or did they change the ticket choices? Fandango is not very clear on it's listing right now. I will try and contact someone at the Egyptian Theater and see what I can discover.

–Lori

jordan bello
07-27-2010, 05:16 AM
Lori, you didn't miss anything. The link did not show a $20 option until the end of the day, probably after 7:30 to 8 p.m.

Lori
07-27-2010, 05:32 AM
Thanks Jordan
That makes me feel better. I wonder what they will do about it?
–Lori

Ukedani
07-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Ok folks here is the latest. I have been in email communication with Tony Coleman several times since yesterday. You were right about the $20 ticket - that is for the LUAU only. Here is the updated email he sent, which he copied and pasted from the American Cinemateque site:

You have three special ticket price options: Movie Program Only (valid for
movie at 7:30 PM on Saturday only): General: $11; Seniors/Students: $9;
Cinematheque Members: $7. Luau Dinner Only: $20. Movie Program, plus the
Luau Dinner: General: $30; Senior/Student: $28; Cinematheque Member: $25.
Please see American Cinematheque website for full menu. To guarantee a
dinner, order by noon on Friday, August 6.

Hope this clears things up.
We will also be raffling a Kala slim travel uke at the event.
Look forward to seeing you there.
Tony Coleman

Tony put me in contact with the PR person at AC and she is looking into what we can do about our $12 tickets we already purchased. I will update you further once I hear back from her.

I apologize for any inconvenience. I'm the same $12 boat.

Lori
07-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Ok folks here is the latest. I have been in email communication with Tony Coleman several times since yesterday. You were right about the $20 ticket - that is for the LUAU only. Here is the updated email he sent, which he copied and pasted from the American Cinemateque site:

Tony Coleman

Tony put me in contact with the PR person at AC and she is looking into what we can do about our $12 tickets we already purchased. I will update you further once I hear back from her.

Thanks for the update! I have my hands full today, so any advancement on this issue is very helpful. I wonder if they could upgrade our tickets to Movie + Luau for the difference? Or maybe we should get the early bird discount. I printed out my receipt, and it says 5:00 pm, not 7:30. How were they going to notify those who already purchased tickets? This event had been on their site last Saturday, and I almost bought tickets then.
–Lori

SailingUke
07-27-2010, 12:12 PM
If anyone finds out to do the upgrade please post it !!
Seems like they could have waited and had everything clear.
If it's going to be so disorganized I might just blow it off completely.

jordan bello
07-27-2010, 12:58 PM

Tony Coleman

Clears up that the Fandango posting is completely misleading. Now there isn't even a $12 option.

Oh well. Unless I'm missing something (which is likely) the difference between buying the meal and luau separately ($20 luau and $11 movie) and the meal and luau together ($30) is only $1. For those who bought the $12 ticket, I don't even know what to say. You got the "early bird" upcharge of $1. Just weird.

Oh well. I still want to go to the movie so I guess I'll buy the movie ticket to add to my luau ticket.

Ukedani
07-27-2010, 01:12 PM
So the girl in publicity at AC was going to look into it. That was three hours ago. I called again but got her voicemail. Tried to find a customer service number for Fandango but found none. I sent Fandango an email through their online system. What a mess. I suppose we could just purchase the $20 tickets for the luau dinner on our own and see what happens. But I think we deserve an explanation and a solution since the problem is not of our making. Alternatively, we could choose not to go I suppose.

Will keep you posted. Sorry! :(

jordan bello
07-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Hey, anyone can make a mistake. But they should help resolve their mistakes.

Regardless of the Fandango fiasco. I still want to support The Mighty Uke and don't want the mistake of the organizers to hurt attendance to the film and the spread of its message.

Ukedani
07-27-2010, 03:09 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. Here is the latest:

I received a return phone from PR at American Cinematique. She said for me to expect a call from another contact there tomorrow to straighten things out. (The contact is actually someone I have known since 7th grade but I didn't realize he still worked there). I presume he will honor the bundle price. I will ask my friend how folks on UU who bought the $12 tickets can get the bundle price also. I will report back as soon as I have that information.

If you don't want to wait or hassle with my missives, you can go ahead and purchase the $20 dinner tickets on Fandango. The PR woman at AC said that is fine too. She apologized for any problems we were having.

Let me know if you have any other questions, complaints, etc and I will address them with my friend when he calls me tomorrow.

Hopefully this will all be forgotten soon and we can look forward to a great time. I look forward to meeting and communing with a lot of uke lovers at the event. :)

Lori
07-27-2010, 03:29 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. So do you think we should just get the luau tickets separately? I'm guessing they will honor it given Fandango gives you a print out and such.
I think I will wait a day or two and see what happens. I would hate to have another $1 transaction fee for each ticket, in addition to the difference in the price for the separate events verses the bundled events. I want to support the Mighty Uke too, maybe get a t-shirt. But I think there should be a way to upgrade our current tickets to the bundled price.
–Lori

jordan bello
07-27-2010, 03:57 PM
I think I will wait a day or two and see what happens. I would hate to have another $1 transaction fee for each ticket, in addition to the difference in the price for the separate events verses the bundled events. I want to support the Mighty Uke too, maybe get a t-shirt. But I think there should be a way to upgrade our current tickets to the bundled price.
–Lori

I'm going to wait a few days too. But I did the opposite, I have the $20 tix to get into the luau but can't go to the movie. I'll keep checking back.

Ukedani, thanks for doing the legwork on this. It is much appreciated.

Lori
07-27-2010, 06:12 PM
I emailed customer service at Fandango, and this is their reply:

Dear Lori,

Thank you for your email and interest in Fandango.

Please contact the appropriate theater to inquire about their policy on refunds and exchanges. All refunds and exchanges are done at the discretion of theater management and can only be conducted after the tickets purchased through Fandango are retrieved at the theater box office. We suggest that you make contact with the theater’s management prior to your show time if possible as theater management may not be able to issue refunds or exchanges after the show. In addition, Fandango convenience charges are non-refundable.

We are not able to offer refunds or exchanges of tickets purchased using Fandango because at the time of your order Fandango removes the requested ticket quantity from the theater’s inventory. This reduces the number of seats available for the chosen show time at the theater. While this allows us to provide our customers with the clear benefit of guaranteed seats, it prevents Fandango and our theater partners from reselling tickets in the event that the purchaser does not attend their chosen show. Before purchasing your tickets we urge you to confirm the title, time, and location of the movie you wish to see.

We hope you find this information helpful and thank you for making Fandango your choice for online movie tickets.

NOTE: Please do not click the reply button. Emails sent to this address are not read.

To send a response to customer support, please click the following link, or copy and paste it into the address line of your browser:
http://fandangocust.suth.com/ticket.asp?ci=457860&tn=07278394LA&rn=100727-000070&fm=1

Best regards,

Phill
Fandango Customer Support
www.fandango.com
Wireless access: mobile.fandango.com

Sounds like it is up to the Egyptian Theater box office to sort it all out. I will see if I can find a phone number with real people on the other end.
–Lori

SailingUke
07-27-2010, 06:25 PM
I just wonder why they make it so difficult and cryptic. Ukulele is supposed to be fun.
I feel like an outsider not knowing the secret handshake.
I guess I have a dinner ticket worse case is I will wait for the DVD.
I like supporting these things, but this is just too sad at this point.

Lori
07-27-2010, 06:45 PM
I found a phone number for the Egyptian Theater with an extension number: 323-461-2020 ex 120. I will be out and about tomorrow, so I don't know if I will be able to call them during their business hours, but I will try. Looks like one could drop by the box office and maybe resolve the problem. I would need to know when they were open though, before going to Hollywood. Traffic going there from my place can be a bear. If ex 120 doesn't work, I also wrote down ex 110 as an option.
–Lori

Ronnie Aloha
07-27-2010, 07:10 PM
I was thinking of going but I might just pass on it right now. The DVD will be released soon so I'll just purchase it then. It would have been fun to meet up and buy a uke leash from Lori!

Lori
07-27-2010, 08:42 PM
I was thinking of going but I might just pass on it right now. The DVD will be released soon so I'll just purchase it then. It would have been fun to meet up and buy a uke leash from Lori!
Hey Ronnie
If you ever find yourself in Westwood / Santa Monica let me know. If I am around, maybe we could meet up, and you could choose your Uke Leash in person! I will have a booth at the Wine Country Ukulele Festival in September if anyone is planning on going. I am hoping for a space at Cerritos, but haven't been able to get the details arranged. Even if I don't get a booth at Cerritos, I will probably go anyway, and might get a few casual walk-up sales.

–Lori

Ukedani
07-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Hello all,

Here is the latest. I received word from my friend at American Cinemateque that he is aware there has been a problem with incorrect ticketing info and people having purchased the wrong tickets. He will need to straighten it out with the box office tonight. He assures me that it will get straightened out. He is the producer of the event for the evening so I'm certain he will do whatever is necessary to make things right.

Independently of that message, I received another email from the director, Tony Coleman, stating people could go ahead and purchase the luau ticket separately if we wanted to make sure we were accounted for. He stated he would contact the theater and make sure that they are aware of the problem with the ticketing. So basically if you don't want to wait around for AC to deal with this you can just go to Fandango and get the luau ticket. Of course it'll mean a couple extra bucks for transaction fees I think.

I'll post more info as I get it. Thanks for your patience.

Lori
07-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the update Ukedani! I am sure it will get worked out.
–Lori

Ukedani
07-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Ok folks . . . here is the word, straight from the man in charge, my friend, Andrew Crane, at American Cinematheque. What you need to do is is email him directly at andrew@americancinematheque.com (I think I spelled it right, with an "h") with the following information:

1. What you bought already (e.g., movie tix only, luau only, etc)
2. What you want instead
3. Your name and email address

He says he will deal with each person's case individually and then will communicate with you via email about what will happen next and/or what you need to do. AC needs to know how many people intend to buy luau dinners so that they can tell the caterer how much food needs to be prepared.

I am in the same boat and will be contacting Andrew also in order to get my $12 ticket changed into a $30 one. Please post here and let everyone know how the process goes. Andrew is very sorry for snafu! Thanks, and I hope those decided not to go will change their minds and go. It seems like it will be a wonderful evening. Please know that I have no financial interest in this event - I'm just a avid uke fan and UU member and feel somewhat responsible since I initiated the post for the event. :)

Ukulele Jim
07-29-2010, 10:29 AM
I don't get it. The link I have just sends me to a place where I can buy an $11 movie ticket. Where are the luau tickets?

And for those who have seen the movie, is it appropriate for a 5-year-old? I have to drag my kids to the theater because I don't have any choice. :)

Ukedani
07-29-2010, 12:39 PM
I don't get it. The link I have just sends me to a place where I can buy an $11 movie ticket. Where are the luau tickets?

And for those who have seen the movie, is it appropriate for a 5-year-old? I have to drag my kids to the theater because I don't have any choice. :)

Jim,
They are working on getting the $30 combo ticket option back up tonight. Andrew says wait until tomorrow and you should find that option available again. Hope this helps. As for the movie's rating, I haven't seen it so I don't know. Other folks who have seen the movie already hopefully will chime in. I checked the movie website and it says NR. I will contact the director and ask.

Lori
07-29-2010, 02:14 PM
I got a response from Andrew at the Egyptian Theater/ American Cinematheque:

Ok, here is what we will do. Just arrive on Sat before 5:00pm (box office opens at 3:30pm that day) and give us your Fandango confirmation. We will refund the tickets you have and sell you 2 of the bundled Luau/Movie tics. I'm keeping a file of those Diana Pash has notified from the Uke msg board so we can keep a count of the dinners as we have a fixed amount we tell our caterer 48 hours prior to the event.

Sincerely,
Andrew P. Crane
American Cinematheque

So, it looks like we can do the exchange on the day. I might try and do it ahead of time, just for piece of mind.
Another email in response to my inquiry about normal box office hours:

yes, our box office opens 90 mins before the first show of the day when we are open, which is usually wed-sun w/ 7:30pm, the usual start time, so the box office opens at 6:00pm. The box office closes 30 mins after beginning of last film, so check our website for that time. I would suggest however, NOT coming tomorrow night as we're sold out and it's this high-profile show where there will be long lines and frustrating for anyone coming to just purchase advance tickets. tonight, sat and sunday all good nights. Just know our lines always get quite long 15 before the show as that is when the majority of people arrive to buy and pick up tickets.

That's the latest from me.
–Lori

jordan bello
07-29-2010, 02:22 PM
I received an almost identical email. I will also try to fix it some time this weekend.

wickedwahine11
07-29-2010, 08:11 PM

I saw the movie when it was screened in Carlsbad. I didn't think there was anything inappropriate. But since I don't have kids maybe I'm not the best judge of that -- my cats wouldn't find it inappropriate anyway.

It was good, I only had a couple of qualms about it, but it was entertaining so those of you fighting to resolve your ticket issue should enjoy the flick. Have fun everyone!

Ukedani
07-30-2010, 04:42 AM
Tony Coleman says the movie is totally appropriate for a 5 year old though the child will probably want a ukulele afterwards. :)

Gillian
07-31-2010, 08:20 PM
I wish the movie would come to San Jose.

San Jose is the US's 10th largest city and second largest in California, bigger than San Francisco, yet according to the Mighty Uke site, is not on the list of cities where the movie will be shown.

I'm feeling slighted....

Ukedani
08-01-2010, 02:04 AM
Gillian, why don't you let the movie's director/producer know? I think they are fairly accessible via their website's contact email.

fumanii
08-01-2010, 11:55 AM
I wish I could go!!!!! I gotta gig that night!!

Ukedani
08-06-2010, 04:16 PM
I hope everyone has now been contacted by Andrew Crane from AC re their ticket snafu. I will be getting to the theater around 4:30 just to make sure I get my luau tickets. It would be great to meet up with other UU'ers who are going. I will be wearing my UU cap so come up and say hi. Hope to see you there! Are you bringing your uke or leaving it home?

brunette_moment
08-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Against my better judgemnt, I am Bringing It!

itsme
08-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Hey, for those who made it to the luau, how about posting up some pics? And I expect to see some UU representin' there. :)