Soundboard question

EJR

Reaction score
I just got back from Acoustic Music in downtown SLC with my new Lanikai LKP-C! One of the guys there took the time to play several models for me and then gave me space to decide on my own. What was cool was they had 3 LKP-Cs so I was able to compare all of them. When I brought mine home, my wife noticed a spot on the lower bout that was very rough. You can see and feel the ridges of the woodgrain. I was wondering if this spot would be prone to getting a crack? Should I trade it for one of the other ones?

Thanks for your advice!

John

I dont think that It'd be prone to cracking. Rather, it might become discolored in time or wear faster. Although I'd probably return it on those grounds alone, if you really like that particular uke over the other examples in the shop, you can buy a small bottle of satin finish and apply and buffer at home. I'm not a builder, so I don't know how difficult this would be to do. I do own a cigar box uke with an unfinished interior, however, and can say that just because the wood isn't finished doesn't mean that it will crack. It just puts it at risk of experiencing heavier wear as time goes on.

Definitely go back to the store and talk to the guy who sold it to you. They should give you options for repair or replacement. If you want to keep that uke, let them fix it up to your satisfaction. It sounds cosmetic, not structural, so probably no big deal.
Otherwise, they should not have a problem with you trading it for another.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Top Bottom