Pick-up the World? Any other Pick-up suggestions? What pick-up do you use?

blizz79

Reaction score
Looking to add a pick-up to my uke. Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on the Pick-up the World Under Saddle pick-up? A fiddle player I play with uses one on her fiddle and it sounds great.

Any other suggestions/advice on pick-ups are welcome.

Last edited:
I installed one on my Kanelea K1 tenor and it's great. Much better that piezos and the install is pretty staight forward and easy. I didn't sand the saddle at all as it's so thin that the effect on the action is negligible. The guy who makes them is very helpful. You'll need to know the saddle width.
The jack is a personal issue but they sell a very cool vintage jack that doubles as a strap pin. I got one in ebony to match the saddle pins. It uses a 1/8th inch plug which they supply. You can use the standard type jack too. I posted some pictures in a previous thread that shows the vintage jack

I have a Mi-Si in my DaSilva, very happy, no holes except the end pin jack.

If you don't want one that needs batteries or recharging, I found that the Shadow Nanoflex passive pickup for ukuleles is a cost-effective option with great results.

I've been messin with a barcus berry insider it sticks on inside under the bridge the instructions say nothing about how to wire it to the Jack but the shield wire goes to ground and the othe wire has two other terminals it can go to if it's not one it's the other :)
it doesent require batterys or a preamp but you do need drill a hole for the Jack

I have a Mi-Si in my DaSilva, very happy, no holes except the end pin jack.

Have you ever had any issues with your Mi-Si?

If a 9v battery goes dead, you replace the battery, no prob. If your Mi-Si dies, your stuck. I have never heard of any issues with the Mi-Si, it might just be my reluctance to try something new.

Chappyware, Thanks for the info on the Pick-up the World. I think I will contact them just to get a little more info on there set up. and, That endpin does look sharp

Have you ever had any issues with your Mi-Si?

If a 9v battery goes dead, you replace the battery, no prob. If your Mi-Si dies, your stuck. I have never heard of any issues with the Mi-Si, it might just be my reluctance to try something new.

Chappyware, Thanks for the info on the Pick-up the World. I think I will contact them just to get a little more info on there set up. and, That endpin does look sharp

funny you mention a 9v.... you can charge a mi-si with a 9v
the power of a 9v without the weight? yes!

Mi---Si-Tech-02.jpg

I use a '51 Chevy pickup whenever possible.:cool:

I have along history with this truck. Let's not use this thread to talk about it. PM if you feel the need.

Attachments

• truck1..jpg
    truck1..jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 8
I have really been impressed with my Mi-Si. I've played fewer than ten gigs with it so far, but it has been great. I plug it in while I'm settign up my pedals, and it's ready to go, no problem. The instructions say 16 hours from a minute charge. I rarely play that long, though;)

In theory the MiSi Supercapacitor will last more than a lifetime. Once the pickup is mounted properly you should never have to mess with it, other than to charge it through the output jack for 90 seconds for a dozen or more hours of play. This is the nicest, cleanest sounding piezo I have ever heard on any instrument.

The Barcus Berry Insider piezo is a great pickup for the money. But it will always have somewhat of a 'distant' sound to it. Piezos work best under pressure so they sound best when mounted under the saddle like the MiSi. On the BBI, there's no way to put pressure on the pickup so they always sound like the uke is miked from a little too far away. But if you get one the, sweet spot is on the underside of the soundboard directly in front of the bridge.

I don't like sticking things on the soundboard. It deadens the vibration a bit, taking a cost on the acoustic sound. Undersaddle piezo's in this respect are less disruptive to the instrument's acoustics (while also giving a strong electronic output).

Top Bottom