Client request

Philstix

Reaction score
I am nearing completion on a ukulele for a co-worker. Here are a few pictures of the body. He wants to have a musician friend sign the body. Any thoughts on what to use to write on it? I am now in the process of filling the pores with epoxy. After that he will get it signed. I will then complete the finish with nitrocellulose lacquer.
The body is curly mango from Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct, the rope binding is walnut and holly, the end graft is curly maple and tagua nut.

Attachments

• DSCN3807..jpg
    DSCN3807..jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN3812..jpg
    DSCN3812..jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN3809..jpg
    DSCN3809..jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN3808..jpg
    DSCN3808..jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 84
I am nearing completion on a ukulele for a co-worker. Here are a few pictures of the body. He wants to have a musician friend sign the body. Any thoughts on what to use to write on it? I am now in the process of filling the pores with epoxy. After that he will get it signed. I will then complete the finish with nitrocellulose lacquer.
The body is curly mango from Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct, the rope binding is walnut and holly, the end graft is curly maple and tagua nut.

That is too pretty to get a signature on it:) Sorry can't help any other way. Looks fantastic. Like, if I had money, I'd order one.

Aloha Phil,
I agree with John, that's one awesome looking ukulele!!!Is that where all the good luthiers are hanging out???Washington...
BTW- where is Woodinville????NE ...upstate..HMMMM anyways I wouldn't want to contribute to graffitting your beautiful work either....sorry
Thanks for sharing your wonderful work!!! MM Stan...
Second thoughts....Have the person signature on a piece of paper and take it to a printer and let them
copy it on a clear plastic decal with the signature imposed on it. Stick it on the ukulele and spray your
finish over it....

Last edited:

That's beautiful! Thanks for bringing it by the other day. I'm sorry I wasn't there to see it in person.
Mika

I use acrylics a lot so I'm familiar with their lightfastness and high archival quality, knowing that I wonder if an acrylic marker would be the best choice under a finish. If one were using waterbase laquer I wouldn't think there would be any problems, but I dunno about nitro.

You guys keep talking about marking on ukes and I'm gonna start.... hey... wait a minute... *bulb-fizzle-pop*

Last edited:

L-o-v-e the binding.... and the gorgeous curly mango!! Wow-wee...

P.S. As for an inked signature on a beautiful uke, I'm with the majority here: no way...

. He wants to have a musician friend sign the body. Any thoughts on what to use to write on it? I am now in the process of filling the pores with epoxy. After that he will get it signed.

If his friend wants it signed, go for it. It's his friend's ukulele, not ours.

Signed instruments are a lot like tattoos. Some people live to regret they ever got them, others are happy with their decision. They major difference is that instruments are often traded like baseball cards, going through many hands during their life time. YOU are the builder however, and YOUR name will ALWAYS be on the instrument. You need to do what YOU feel comfortable with. It's not just about the money, it's about your good name and reputation too. I've seen too many poor decisions on builders instruments that were requested by the customer that ended up poorly. If you are doubtful about the result you may want to think twice about the sig. Even when your testing things like ink or paint under nitro, it could take a year or more before any flaws show up. If the customer is insistent, I'd go with Kekani's suggestion and inlay it or find someone to inlay it for you.

Good luck.

Thank you all for the input. I'm not happy with the idea of writing on it either. I think I will try to talk him into an inlay. At this point the peghead is empty and I could always make a new fingerboard and put it there. Can't hurt to try. To answer a question, Woodinville is east and a little north of Seattle. Thanks Chuck for the thought that problems could take a long time to show up under nitro. It's a good point to make to my co-worker. If he won't change his mind to an inlay I will ask him to try the printed decal route where he at least gets more than one chance to write well.

Aloha Phil,
The decal is alot inexpensive and permanent,,it's how surfboard manufactors label their surfboards and they never fade...always in the sun..
Besides, a decal can be easily taken off and the original signature can be framed...also look at martin decals on the headstock, they last forever...Jus my thoughts...

Youare correct but if it was mine, I'd pass on that sig. that wood is PRETTY.[/QUOTE
You're absoultely right John, no other luthier would do that to his prize finish....But Phil is a humble and accomadating guy who puts
the customer wants before his pride and feelings..... when I order a custom, I hope to get the same service.. MM Stan...
Not that I'll get a signature on mine....maybe on a cheapo....

Top Bottom