My MP Custom tenor

Nuprin

Reaction score
I didn't want to start throwing pictures of my MP tenor into jehicks thread so I figured I'd start my own.

First, the specs:

Tenor
Model K (Spruce top, koa back & sides)
Slotted headstock
Koa rosette
Koa fret markers
Maple binding
5 piece mahogany neck (with a maple center)
Maple butt wedge

Got an email from Mike yesterday saying he was going to get started on it which, from the progress of jehicks custom, looks as if he'll meet or beat his ETA of mid to end of August for me. Others have said it but I wanted to reiterate how great Mike's customer service has been!

Along with the email he sent me a picture of the koa wood set to be used on my tenor...he thinks it's the best he has in stock right now. It's got some nice curl and I'm happy with it. Here it is...

koa.jpg

I'll keep updating this thread as I hear more from Mike.

Last edited:
Nice Nuprin!!!! It's cool to see that Mike starts your new custom!! So you choose an orangeish koa tint...it's the color that I like the most of koa wood too.

Awesome Nuprin! Yep, Mike's got mine all done up and ready to ship. I didn't want to update until I actually had it in-hand, which will probably be another two or three weeks. Shipping all the way out here is a PITA.

Man, I know how stoked I was when mine started coming together, and much quicker than mike had estimated. You'll be picking your fine little lady sooner than you know. ;)

All the best, brother!

Thanks! It's not going to look as unique as yours, Jake, but I think it will look really classy and elegant. As the pictures roll in it's only going hurt more 'til I can get my hands on it!

I will also say I'm amazed at how quickly Mike works...we worked out the details and I gave him the go-ahead on 6/28. It's looking like it will be done in less than two months! I thought my Boat Paddle had a quick turn-around time at three months! Mike is amazing!

Wow that is some gorgeous wood! If you don't mind me asking, how much is that 'uke going to cost you?

Wow that is some gorgeous wood! If you don't mind me asking, how much is that 'uke going to cost you?

Model K Tenor: $850
Slotted headstock: $150
Koa fret markers: $75
Shipping: $25

Total: $1100

The binding, rosette, butt wedge, and 5-piece neck are all included. Here is the link to his pricing.

Yours certainly will be classy. When I first talked to mike, I told him I wanted the wood to be the main focus on my instrument. Well, I think that has worked out nicely. I'd like to think of my uke as a "retro-futuristic cowboy-uke". ReFuCU. I think that's a good name, actually...

Anywyas man, I'm betting yours will be done by the end of August. I hope with as much interest as people are showing the MPs that have surfaced here on UU more people will contact mike and see what all he has to offer.

I don't believe you'll be disappointed, Nuprin. Not one bit.

you guys are killing me with all this custom uke talk. It makes me want my Dave Talsma tenor even more. He should be working on it right now. I'm just waiting on the progress pictures.

Anyway, to stay on topic, I'm envious of both of your ukes. Mike does an awesome job. I can't wait to see what your finished product looks like.

Man, this is like going to a restaurant and salivating as your read the menu in anticipation of what is to come!

Model K Tenor: $850
Slotted headstock: $150
Koa fret markers: $75
Shipping: $25

Total: $1100

The binding, rosette, butt wedge, and 5-piece neck are all included. Here is the link to his pricing.

Wow that really is a good deal! Maybe (if the wife allows it), I'll get a custom build from him later. Keep us updated with the progress of the build and thanks for sharing!

Aloha Nuprin,
That's some nice high grained Koa there you've got....a perfect way to start on your custom...
Thanks for sharing!! MM Stan...
OH yeah, Congrats...

OOOOOOOHHHHHH I LOVE that fretmarker idea! Way cool. Your idea or mikes?

I'm seriously jealous of that. :D What wood did you use for the markers?

Definitely seriously way cool. Thanks for hitting the UAS button...

Hi Nuprin!!!! How are you!!! Your fretboard is very nice. I don't know, but I never think about doing anything special when I ask Mike to build to me ....maybe I'm just not enough creative!!! I'm thinking more about the shape of the neck, the wood and stuff like that...

Mike will porbably work on my new custom after yours! UASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! :)

OOOOOOOHHHHHH I LOVE that fretmarker idea! Way cool. Your idea or mikes?

I'm seriously jealous of that. :D What wood did you use for the markers?

There's a UU builder that goes by Thomas (see some of his work here) and he uses the same fret markers. I've always thought they look great so when I was coming up with ideas for this custom I figured I'd go the same way. Thomas keeps his fret markers the same width throughout...it was Mike's idea to make them bigger as the frets get bigger. The markers are made of koa and will match the rosette and back/sides.

Hi Nuprin!!!! How are you!!! Your fretboard is very nice. I don't know, but I never think about doing anything special when I ask Mike to build to me ....maybe I'm just not enough creative!!! I'm thinking more about the shape of the neck, the wood and stuff like that...

Mike will porbably work on my new custom after yours! UASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! :)

I think I'm not too creative as everything else I've asked for on this uke was already included with all of Mike's builds (bigger rosette, 5-piece neck, butt wedge)! My BP build was similar as the fret markers were the only feature that I really changed from Jerry's normal builds.

Bao, what's this for you...your third MP custom? After working with Mike through this build and seeing Jake's pickguard, I think another MP custom is in my future...just gotta save up a little more money.....

Last edited:
Nuprin wrote:
Bao, what's this for you...your third MP custom? After working with Mike through this build and seeing Jake's pickguard, I think another MP custom is in my future...just gotta save up a little more money.....

Hey Nuprin!!!! No it's not my third MP custom...it's gonna be my 5th!!!!!!!! Did I tell you that I like Mike's work and that I have UAS big time??!!!!!! ahahahaahahahh!!!! :)

But it's gonna be something completely different.....something that Mike did not build yet I think....well we discuss together on how I want it and he thinks it's possible...so here we go for my 5th instruments from him!!!

Nuprin wrote:
But it's gonna be something completely different.....something that Mike did not build yet I think....well we discuss together on how I want it and he thinks it's possible...so here we go for my 5th instruments from him!!!

Oooohhh, now I'm intrigued!

Top Bottom