Ideas for a travel uke build

MeyerUke

Reaction score
I built a Grizzly kit before heading to Europe last year as a travel uke. I cover it in stickers everywhere I take it and I am ready to build a second travel uke. Any ideas for custom travel ukes? Anyone ever built a small alarm clock, flashlight, iPod speakers, or other travel items into a uke? Anyone ever had success building a uke that opens like a box or has a detachable neck?

I saw a handmade cigar box soprano a while back, where the maker didn't bother to seal the box shut and allowed it to be opened and closed via the original latch. I guess he figured that, after thinning the box wood to help build sound and resonance, that the coolness factor would be worth the slight loss in tone. Video below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0DfOrBzbqo
I'm not sure if this design would make for a good travel uke, due to the awkward shape and difficulty to pack neatly. Maybe a smaller box could be fashioned into a custom sopranino? A 'NUB' brand box might be small enough to do this without too much resizing.
If you're looking for durability and ease of repair en route, you might want to consider a coffee can ukulele. You might even be able to play around with that detachable neck idea, considering that the hardware is cheap and easy to come by.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73pIly3tgiI

Thanks for the ideas! I found a post about a backpacker ukulele by Captain Ukuleles and his ukes seem to have many of the features I like (possibly no headstock, smaller/relocated tuners, narrow body). I built a cigar box uke and sealed it, should have left it open. I found various boxes at Michaels craft store, they have thin boxes for jewelry, unfinished cigar boxes, and other shapes of boxes that could work. I will keep looking for smaller boxes and possibly just make my own.

Love the can uke, I love finding peoples hacks of ukes and other objects. Kinda makes me want to give hail to the Hawaiian love for Spam and make a Spam can uke!

Top Bottom