Uke Leash on guitars?

kissing

Reaction score
Just wondering whether the Uke-Leash works for guitars?
My dad has a classical guitar, and he wanted to use a strap. But the guitar has no strap buttons.

Just thinking... there's gotta be more people with guitars out there than ukes, so why limit the marketing of Uke-leash to ukes if they could be put on guitars?

You could use what I believe is called a hook strap, which attaches to the sound hole rather than to strap buttons. They're commonly used as a solution to the lack of buttons on classical guitars. The link below is to an example of this type of strap; however, I do not use them and cannot vouch for the brand's quality.
http://www.neotechstraps.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=20

I have a classical guitar, and I think the Uke Leash may work for sitting and playing, but not standing. The guitar is too big to hold while standing with the Uke Leash. Itsme is testing out the use of the Uke Leash with classical guitar... I sent her one last week. I did a brief check on my guitar to see if it would work, and I think it has potential. It turns out that the strap length can be shorter for the Uke/Guitar Leash, so it is possible to use the current design of the Uke Leash for this purpose.
Sound hole hooks have always made me nervous. They look like they would leave a mark over time, and over-stress the instrument at a very fragile place. In addition, I don't like the way they look. I understand that product has been around for over 20 years, so someone must like them. I always used a foot stool for Classical Guitar.
–Lori

A classical strap goes around the players neck, under the guitar, to a non-metallic hook in the lower sound hole.

No, they don't damage anything. It relies on the players strumming arm to keep guitar secure,m
but it does not take any effort. They hold the guitar in a stable position. It can even enhance playing.

good enough for Willie!
6-superstars_trigger.jpg

low priced classical strap http://www.amazon.com/DAndrea-Vinyl-Classical-Guitar-Strap/dp/B000A1B7DI
41EBaMrN7fL._SS500_.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think they themselves would work as they are too short, but I think one made that is longer would probably work!

I don't think they themselves would work as they are too short, but I think one made that is longer would probably work!
Actually, the length is fine, because the guitar neck is so long, it needs a shorter strap than the ukulele. After testing it out myself, I would shorten the strap for the guitar.

–Lori

Lori, just an update...

I pulled my classical out the other day and it has a "popped" D string (unwound at the saddle, a common occurrence). I knew my negra already had one, so I really need to change the bass strings on one or the other to be able to play it and really test the strap.

Top Bottom