Help with Jig

bt93

Reaction score
hey guys I am about to order the stewmac tenor kit and have looked over the instructions and everything looks pretty straight forward except for the jig. Does anyone have any tips/advice for me for when I am making the jig? Are there any places on the web that sell premade jigs so that I don't have to construct one myself. the main reason for my confusion is that when I see videos about building, the ukulele housing jigs all look like a piece of wood with a hollowed out center shaped like a ukulele body. the one that stewmac wants me to build looks nothing like these other ones so I am kind of confused/worried. Thanks

Here's a variant of the fixture. http://www.scorpex.net/Uke/Stewmac.pdf
The Stewmac fixture will work just fine. It's the simplest way to get started building your first uke. Would recommend following the instructions the first time out. If after that you have a desire to build more you can start investing in some fixture enhancements. Then you will have a better understanding of what is needed.

That "variant" fixture is overkill for the Stew-Mac kit. The L-brackets work fine to hold the pre-bent sides. My only warning is to be careful when using the big rubber bands, supplied in the kit, to glue the top and back. They have a tendency to make the top/back move slightly before the glue sets. Easy problem to solve using staples in the neck and tail blocks as an index pin.

I think a lot of people have built the Stew-Mac kit with their jig plans and haven't had any trouble. I had read about one person who had trouble with the waist end moving from side to side a bit so I just used 1" dowels cut to size and placed them at the waist bend, and above & below the lower bout to keep it still, just in case...

Good luck on the Stew-Mac! I think you will have fun, I know I am! :)

I'd recommend that when it comes time to glue on the top and back with the rubber bands, you use a clamping caul to assist in spreading out the clamping pressure. Just a piece of mdf or press board or what not that is sized the same as the top and back. This will also assist a little in keeping the top/back from skating about and also keeps the edge of those delicate pieces from splitting along the grain if too much tension is on the rubber bands.

Top Bottom