Tuners

Get a digital chromatic clip on tuner....mines a Cherub WST-550C and i love it...makes life alot easier.
And Welcome to the UU, our forums and the Ukulele...Enjoy your ukulele journey!!! MM Stan....

Keep in mind that tuners are only the start of the process. You need to fine-tune using your ears and the instrument's unique intonation. Digital tuners are little wonders of technology but they are not infallible. And make sure you have it set for A=440Hz.

That's why I told him to get a digital chromatic Ian, so he can fine tune it by ear and write it down, and go to the tuner
for future reference, or when he finds when his uke sounds good on a certain day, jot down the
tunings from the digital for future reference and use those settings again.

I may be biased but I like the Snark tuner. They are my friends and I did some video demos for them. I like it because the clip stays on the headstock well, it has a super bright display, and it is accurate. I have not had any problems with tuning my uke with it. I use it a lot when I gig playing electric guitar. I gig pretty much every weekend. It is easy to see on a dark stage and I don't get a lot of artifact from ambient noise (music playing through the PA between sets)

I may be biased but I like the Snark tuner. They are my friends and I did some video demos for them. I like it because the clip stays on the headstock well, it has a super bright display, and it is accurate. I have not had any problems with tuning my uke with it. I use it a lot when I gig playing electric guitar. I gig pretty much every weekend. It is easy to see on a dark stage and I don't get a lot of artifact from ambient noise (music playing through the PA between sets)

The Snarks are apparently hard to find right now. I have one on backorder. A reliable and inexpensive digital tuner you can get now is the Kala KC-02 tuner, which has settings for ukuleles in C and D tuning, and a chromatic setting as well. I have one and it works great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ITEM-KALA-BRAND-KC-02-CLIP-TUNER-Ukulele-/370411104398?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563e38e88e

Most any clip-on tuner in the $15-$20 range will work for you.

The Intelli IMT-500, IMT-600, and IMT-900 are nice tuners at reasonable prices.

Most ukulele dealers also carry clip-on tuners that will work just fine.

Aroma AT-320B

I have one of these for each of my 'ukes, and they work just fine. They cost me ~$15 each, delivered (from Amazon). The readout turns green when on pitch, and there are under- and over-pitch indicators to home in on. There are some tempting others, with dial-and-needle simulated readouts, but these work just fine. I haven't seen anything cheaper...

jeff

I originally bought a Cherub WST55OU for my LU-21, which was perfectly fine, but I now have a Kala KC-02 in my KA-FMS' case (because I liked the brand-matching - yes, I really am that sad) and I find it easier to use and see, as well as nicer looking and more 'solid' feeling - considering they're around the same price I'd definitely recommend the Kala.

I have several af the chromatic clip on tuners, to include Intelli's and Kala's. I like them all, as they can work of the vibration of the uke which allows you to tune your uke in a noisy room. Ric

Top Bottom