Photos of difference between my Kamaka's satin and new gloss finishes

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
As I mentioned in a thread about a week ago, I had my Kamaka tenor ukulele refinished from satin to gloss. As requested by a few people, here are some photos that show the difference between the original to the newer makeover version.

I still think that as a general rule, there is not a huge difference when the satin had been viewed under ideal situations (with fluorescent lights or a flash camera), but in just a glance, or less than ideal scenarios, the gloss shows the curl in the koa much more than the satin did. So I have tried to find a photo that show the satin in its natural state -- not an easy task because I usually was meticulous about how I took pictures to best reflect the curl in the koa.

Here are some comparisons taken of the ukulele under the same conditions -- no flash, just the top portion of the face near the soundhole.
satintop.jpg

glossytop.jpg

As you can see, the glossy really brings out the curl in the koa. Although you do have to account for the brighter sunlight conditions in the second photo, it is that dramatic a difference. The next set of photos are of the side of the ukulele. This shows the satin finish under the best possible conditions, with lighting/flash that allowed the curl to show through, so the difference is much less dramatic.
satinside.jpg

glossyside.jpg

Hopefully, this gives a tiny bit of an insight into the difference in appearance between the two finishes. As for sound, my uke sounds exactly the same as it did during the satin finish. As Fred Kamaka, Jr. noted, there is no difference in sound in their ukuleles in either finishes, they endure the same six bottom coats, it is only the top coat of finish that determines whether the ukulele will be satin or glossy.

As for feel, I did like the smooth, silky feel of the satin probably better than the stickier finish provided by the gloss. But the funny thing is that my ukulele had originally had a gloss finish on the back of its neck (I'm not sure if that was by accident or design) so the majority of the portion I touched feels the same. I actually really like that I don't have to worry about sweat/body oils in the portion of the ukulele where my right forearm rests any longer. That had been touched so often that it was starting to show a shiny spot in that area. The satin finish was also much easier to damage and the gloss hides more of a multitude of sins.

Chris Kamaka was able to remove the gouge marks and most of the scratches on my uke, leaving her pristine and beautiful. I don't regret it for a second, even though I do still see the value of a traditional satin ukulele. So on the whole, I'm very happy with my decision to refinish it, and I can't thank the Kamaka guys enough for taking care of it for me!

Here are a couple of photos of the uke in the sun, which were ideal curl conditions for the satin. This is a picture of me with it in Lahaina, Maui while in the satin state.
playingsatin.jpg

This is in my backyard (pathetic attempt at bringing Hawaii home with my pink hibiscus tree and Kamaka Hawaiian shirt).
meglossy.JPG

WW....wow that curly Koa grain is simply beautiful!!! Kamaka did a nice job!!

I had no idea that a glossy finish would make that much difference in appearance! And I thought you had one of the prettiest Kamakas already. Glad to see that it turned out well!

Wonder what it'd be like to have a satin-finish neck with a glossy body.

Wow - I originally voted "No, don't do it," but what a great result! Can I go back and change my vote? ;)

Wow, the curls definitely stand out much better now. And the hibiscus looks like its doing well, not a pathetic attempt at all. It really looks like you're somewhere in the islands.

Aloha Staci,
Many thanks for sharing the awesome comparison photo's of your beloved "Pele" to us..
I personally like that they used high grade figured koa on the sides to match too.
And the lighting can seem to change the color of "Pele".
It's a drastic improvement visually with the gloss, and the added protection from the finish.
I'm glad Kamaka was able to take the slight imperfections out and give it a new appearance..
And I'm happy that you're happy with the results...#11
BTW- Jus luv the photo's of you and your ukulele...Happy times.....eh...and the Hawaiian spirit with your shirt and the Hibiscus at home...
Malama Pono and A Hui Ho....."Keep strumming them strings" Ukuleles are for eva's Way to Go girl!! You Go,Go, Goooooo Girl!!

Last edited:
What a gorgeous uke!

I think the value of your uke just doubled!

Looks like at least AAAA curly Koa!

I like tthe color better too!

Congrats and thanks for sharing

Mahalo

Looks beautiful, like a jewel. I am a big fan of gloss finishes. I didn't really realize the satin ones tend to get shiny spots from handling. I would like to avoid that. I have one matte uke. I wonder if I could get someone in LA to turn it into a gloss finish?

–Lori

I see that you went ahead and glossed her up. Looks beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen a satin Kamaka in person, but I can say that the gloss really does bring out the curl.

How long did it take them to complete the work?? I was out there a few weeks ago and had Kamaka make some adustments to my tuning keys. The were wonderful, as usual. Nice folks at Kamaka

Last edited:
How long did it take them to complete the work?? I was out there a few weeks ago and had Kamaka make some adustments to my tuning keys. The were wonderful, as usual. Nice folks at Kamaka

I was at the festival on Sunday and asked Fred Kamaka Jr. about it and he said it usually takes about a week, so I dropped it off at the factory Monday morning before they opened and Chris Kamaka said he would try to have it ready for me before my flight left Wednesday. I didn't sleep for two days, and called the factory bugging them and I think they finished early because they either felt sorry for me, or because I was driving them nuts. But as a rule, it takes about a week to do a refinishing.

On a related note, I just noticed some fine scratches on the back from rubbing against it with a button down shirt. No more button downs for me. Only tshirts when playing her from now on!

Hey Stacie,
Maybe the finish is not fully cured, I had one uke take over a month and it was still sticky..maybe it needs time to harden..
I put mine aside for awhile until it wasn't tacky....but it was hard....Lucky I had my other ukes as back-up!!MM Stan...
Probally when it hardens later you can buff them scratches out.....Good Luck!!!

Looks great! Glad your happy with the end result. Enjoy.

Top Bottom