Violin Ukulele

MeyerUke

Reaction score
I found a few posts about making a violin into a uke. Any success? I got a free 3/4 size violin from my local music store and have all the parts. I plan to lower the neck/scroll or change the angle to get the fingerboard flat to the sound board. Then I will sand down the neck and set a new fingerboard/frets on top. The last step will be replacing the bridge with possibly a banjolele bridge to get a similar look. I think I can still use the tailpiece, but will have to remove the fine tuners. Any suggestions?

You may want to consider replacing the neck with something longer and wider. The violing neck is, I think, much too narrow (especially at the nut) and much too short to make for a really playable uke.

The tailpiece may or may not work. The problem is that the height and the curve need to fit the saddle. If you use a saddle that's lower and/or flatter, the downward angle behind the saddle (and the resulting tension) won't be right. I would look for a tenor guitar tailpiece or something similar.

Top Bottom